or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1123

post #16831 of 27206
nod[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

balance has been the big issue for him and he says balance is what they've been working on. engelland didn't recreate his entire shot mechanic because he didn't need to. i simply said engelland helped him improve his shooting. i never said he went from worst in the league to the best. he went from a little above average to one of the league best
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Basically a really tall point guard. His shot is meh but engelland can fix that like he fixed kawhi and bonner and parker and bellinelli

that's what you said and that's what I took issue with because;

1. Belinelli was always "not a little over average" but a very good shooter
2. He plays on Spurs now, instead of offensively inept Bulls, quality of shots he got improved

imo his work on 'balance' could be insignificant compared to shots he got, like you know, wide open threes with SAS

every shooters works on improving his shot each year, saying someone was fixed by a shooting coach when he basically
shoots same way and was always v.good is just stupid. Like I said it's true for guys like Parker/Leonard. But you can't
say someone fixed Marco shot and put him in the same sentence with these two guys, it's just dumb.

Also you are wrong about landing the same way, if you shot of balance you ain't gonna land the same each time, because you just can't. You only can land same if you are spotting up. Just watch some shooting video of Kobe/Curry etc, they often land differently because their take difficult off-balance shots they take.

anyway bro do you even shoot?
Edited by wojt - 6/27/14 at 3:34pm
post #16832 of 27206
you took issue that i said the word "fixed"?

spurs did help him fix his balance. maybe you haven't been watching belli that long. he even admits his balance is better.

this is how he used to generally shoot even when he had a lot of space

https://www.giflike.com/embed/ZXYQJ66

this is how he generally shoots now

https://www.giflike.com/embed/7lCUiLg

why can't i say engelland fixed bellinelli's shot just because he didn't fix it as much as he did parker and leonard? so you can only call it fixing it if its fixed it a lot but if its fixed only a little then its not fixed at all? what kind of retarded shit are you even trying to say?

one second you're trying to say belinelli's shot is the same and always good but then you admit that his shot is different just not as different as parker or leonard


wow i legitimately question your intelligence. obviously if a defender is all up in your face you don't have the space or time to get perfect shooting form. i've already mentioned this
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

if he's in a rush or theres a defender taking away his space then he just does whatever to get the ball in.

the key is what you do normally. belli didn't use to shoot with consistent form. i've watched a ton of film now trying to get a good view of him shooting and its like every video half or more of his shots have terrible balance even when he's getting assisted threes with a ton of space.

this is kobe shooting
https://www.giflike.com/embed/ymi7gla
you can barely see his legs but its clear that they're together and sweeping forward as he comes up

this ray allen shooting with great balance even with a defender all up in his space (i.e. legs together sweeping forward as he is going up and coming down)
post #16833 of 27206
some shooting coaches prefer that the legs are wide at landing. i've had two for my son one who like to see the landing a bit wide and one who says landing is immaterial and its all about release.

Oh, and my son is working out with MCW and Kemba walker this summer.
post #16834 of 27206
that sounds amazing. best of luck to your son.

coaches even at the college level advise doing bad things tho. like preventing dips or having you jump straight up instead of feet sweeping forward. a lot of coaches will say having your shoulders come backwards is bad because it makes you launch the ball farther away (total nonsense) or not dipping the ball will give you a faster release (by a tiny millisecond but the power it generates is far better for rhythm. try throwing a punch without cocking it and see if it hits harder)

im not saying its a fail proof thing or that all pros do it every single time

just watch an nba game and pay attention to the feet of open good shooters like lillard or klay or ray allen or kevin durant or kevin love or any modern shooter. they land with their feet together, sweeping forward, a little bit in front of them, narrower than when they started. when they can't get the balance because of defensive pressure they won't, but they pretty much always try to. a lot of shooters with reputations like curry (and especially with low verticals like curry or harden) can't always get their feet in place for perfect form cuz their defenders give them no space, but like you saw with ray allen in last year's game 6 it's always possible and definitely better.

release is important but saying balance isn't important is nonsense. everything is important if you want to be a better shooter. the best shooters don't need the best balance all the time, but that's only because they're the best. they can shoot balls well without good balance when they need to. it doesn't mean good balance doesn't matter.
post #16835 of 27206

Didn't see any mention of the undrafted players, some of which may turn out to be pretty good pro players due to the depth of this draft.

 

CJ Fair to Dallas.

LaQuinton Ross and DeAndre Kane to LA Lakers.

 

Patric Young, Melvin Ejim, and James McAdoo don't appear to have any teams yet.

post #16836 of 27206
kayne is limited but can be a 6/6 guy off the bench in limited minutes, quality 8th man
post #16837 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

and I am convinced brothersport does not actually watch basketball games, just reads blogs/stats etc.
lol are you serious? this from the guy who kept talking GSW even though he admitted he doesn't ever watch them. or that keeps talking about jabari's weight even though it literally never affected him in an actual game. that thinks BARGS is a probable reclamation project?
http://notsportscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/BargnaniAirballdunk.gif
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3505547/airbarg.gif
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--C0zRP7QI--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/196c1bbetb5yhgif.gif
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BwBYSjhgVkw/UsYmwB-7lbI/AAAAAAAAAxA/GkZVpJcKk90/s400/lolbargsss.gif
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--_s7wXmgT--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1961rh2sp2xwmgif.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

i dont understand why they evaluate draftees 1 on 0. why not team ball game? why not 3 on 3s? makes no sense
most agents don't let this happen...just like they don't let them throw at nfl combines, do some stuff at nba combines, etc. like why yi jianlian played against a chair lol. just trying to minimize risk, i guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

I still have no idea why the Sixers drafted Embiid confused.gif
pretty obvious. they want to be really really shitty again this year. their management clearly has the go-ahead to tank this year again to get a high draft pick. getting embiid was simply grabbing the best potential prospect to acquire the most tradable assets.

btw how many 76ers games did you watch last year?
post #16838 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post

lol are you serious? this from the guy who kept talking GSW even though he admitted he doesn't ever watch them. or that keeps talking about jabari's weight even though it literally never affected him in an actual game. that thinks BARGS is a probable reclamation project?

Yeah, I guess I am right. So you post a few gifs and that proves your point. The difference between us is that I admit when I am simply speculating and talking about a team that I do not regularly see. I am sure you have a strong opinion about every single team and every single player in the NBA (backed of course by a steady diet of anlaytical/statistical links and gifs).

Parker was listed at 225-235 at Duke. He came into the Bucks workout (unless you don't believe them) weighing 255, an almost 10% gain in body weight (and he previously gained a lot of weight after a high school injury). Is that a huge deal? Maybe, maybe not. As he gets older, maintaining his conditioning will only become harder, not easier. As for it not affecting him in college, that's a ridiculous red herring. Did he play 82 games? Did he play against NBA caliber competition every game? and the story that he tanked his workout with the Bucks is a bit concerning if you are his new employer. Will he play for you 100% if something happens that he is not happy about on the team? But again, as you say, none of this affected his college game so its all good.
post #16839 of 27206
post #16840 of 27206
Tanking a workout or interview to avoid being drafted by a team isn't anything new. You'd expect a professional to simply politely say they're not interested in joining certain organizations, but (a) these are kids getting their first real job, and (b) this is the bullshit PC never saying what you mean culture that we've created in sports
post #16841 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Tanking a workout or interview to avoid being drafted by a team isn't anything new. You'd expect a professional to simply politely say they're not interested in joining certain organizations, but (a) these are kids getting their first real job, and (b) this is the bullshit PC never saying what you mean culture that we've created in sports

Tanking and hold outs are not new, but I don't think if you're the team drafting him (bucks in this case) you just toss it out with the trash and say, "it doesn't matter, he'll give us 100%". I'm not saying you don't draft the guy, I'm saying you look maybe a bit deeper into the kids makeup. But more than the tanking, I'd be worried about the 20 pound weight gain on a kid that knows he is about to go for the most important "interviews" of his life. How we he handle the big money/multi year contract? Like LeBron James or like Derrick Coleman?
post #16842 of 27206
jabari tanking the cleveland workout is really old news and cleveland didn't want him
post #16843 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Yeah, I guess I am right. So you post a few gifs and that proves your point. The difference between us is that I admit when I am simply speculating and talking about a team that I do not regularly see. I am sure you have a strong opinion about every single team and every single player in the NBA (backed of course by a steady diet of anlaytical/statistical links and gifs).

Parker was listed at 225-235 at Duke. He came into the Bucks workout (unless you don't believe them) weighing 255, an almost 10% gain in body weight (and he previously gained a lot of weight after a high school injury). Is that a huge deal? Maybe, maybe not. As he gets older, maintaining his conditioning will only become harder, not easier. As for it not affecting him in college, that's a ridiculous red herring. Did he play 82 games? Did he play against NBA caliber competition every game? and the story that he tanked his workout with the Bucks is a bit concerning if you are his new employer. Will he play for you 100% if something happens that he is not happy about on the team? But again, as you say, none of this affected his college game so its all good.
did you admit that you're speculating about the 6ers and mcw? how many of those games did you watch? i'm asking because i watched quite a few of their games because i unfortunately had mcw and thaddeus young on my fantasy team. simmons is exaggerating a bit, like always, but a lot of what he says rings true. mcw absolutely played worse defense as the year went on, and jacked up a number of poor shots for a pg (yes, i know his teammates were d-leaguers).

if i don't know shit i won't talk about it. i haven't said anything about any draftees except parker. i try not to talk about shitty western teams, or the magic, or bucks, or celtics, etc. i've watched probably 75% of this year's okc games, a decent amount of mia games, a lot of hou, some clippers, some pistons (lol) and hawks, and basically every playoff round that didn't include the pacers.

you talk about reading analysts like that's a bad thing. pretty sure the total consensus about bargnani being a negative basketball player says more about his worth as a player as those gifs but have you let those change your mind?

you say that my logic doesn't make sense. do you realize that your logic is that jabari came into the cleveland workout overweight so therefore he will likely have only 1-2 good years in the league and be a bust as a pro? it might just be me, but i feel as though that is grounded in less evidence (and game-watching!!!) than my claim that his weight isn't a substantial issue.
post #16844 of 27206
working out and no games for a little while can easily put 15-20 lbs on you. carmelo was fat out of college and he turned out just fine. some guys just don't have great chiseled bodies,
post #16845 of 27206
One thing I'll say about Jabari is that he was the best player I've personally watched in te college game last year. As I've said before I didn't think "oh wow, this kid is going to be a beast in the NBA" like I thought about Durant, Rose and Blake - he's just not as physically or skill dominant as those 3, but for my money he was the best player in college bb
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread