or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1122

post #16816 of 27250
What's also true is that Wiggins jacket was a piece of shit.


post #16817 of 27250
I'm not nuanced enough to critique shooting form like you guys but he definitely benefited from better looks because watching him while he was CHI compared to SA, he still mostly shoots off-balance, off the dribble, wonky looking jumpers etc.
post #16818 of 27250
I still have no idea why the Sixers drafted Embiid confused.gif
post #16819 of 27250
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

I still have no idea why the Sixers drafted Embiid confused.gif

I was browsing through my usual GIF sites and lo and behold, they have one of Sixers drafting Embiid while the camera cuts to Simmons looking all (internally?) smug since he kept professing it was the smartest move days, hours, minutes prior lol8[1].gif
post #16820 of 27250
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

I still have no idea why the Sixers drafted Embiid confused.gif

I think its probably because only one of those two (Noel) will pan out, not to mention stay healthy. This way they can hold onto the better player. Also, nothing like a bit of competition between two bigs for minutes to motivate them to perform. I think it was an ok pick. I still would have taken Exum, but oh well.
post #16821 of 27250
Takes balls to do that after the Bynum debacle and submitting their fans to the most shameful tanking season I can remember. And then capping it by taking another big man with an injury history.

Don't wish Embiid any harm but it would be just karma if this pick ended up going nowhere
post #16822 of 27250
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

I think its probably because only one of those two (Noel) will pan out, not to mention stay healthy. This way they can hold onto the better player. Also, nothing like a bit of competition between two bigs for minutes to motivate them to perform. I think it was an ok pick. I still would have taken Exum, but oh well.

The local media's spin is that Noel will be the "rookie" this year, Embiid in 2015, and Saric in 2016. smile.gif
post #16823 of 27250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

I was browsing through my usual GIF sites and lo and behold, they have one of Sixers drafting Embiid while the camera cuts to Simmons looking all (internally?) smug since he kept professing it was the smartest move days, hours, minutes prior lol8[1].gif

You already have Joel Embiid (Nerlens Noel) and you have ROY MCW. Put a 2 guard (exum) next to him and you have the start of something really good. Simmons is an idiot, he keeps saying how MCW is not really impressive because he played on crap team. Embiid may never play significant minutes in the NBA and if you know other teams are hot and heavy for him, trade down and get a proven NBA player and picks, there were good SG/SF's to be had lower in the draft and the Sixers need that.
post #16824 of 27250
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

You already have Joel Embiid (Nerlens Noel) and you have ROY MCW. Put a 2 guard (exum) next to him and you have the start of something really good. Simmons is an idiot, he keeps saying how MCW is not really impressive because he played on crap team. Embiid may never play significant minutes in the NBA and if you know other teams are hot and heavy for him, trade down and get a proven NBA player and picks, there were good SG/SF's to be had lower in the draft and the Sixers need that.

I hear you. TBH, I did not realize that Exum was a 2 guard. I thought he couldn't shoot and was more of a PG.

Random story, I met Channing Frye in Scottsdale last year at a sushi bar. We were sitting next to each other, and got to talking basketball. He claimed that MCW wasn't willing to do the little things a la the Suns' did, and that he played to the crowd more so to the coach, which was a bad habit. On another note, it was funny watching how unfulfilled Frye was eating little bites of sushi.
post #16825 of 27250
post #16826 of 27250
I like bill simmons
post #16827 of 27250
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Yeah he was a average shooter before he joined the spurs (.357 just the year before). Then he meets engelland and becomes winner of the 3 point contest and finished season with .430. Jump in almost ten percentage points.

You are right about the other guys being fixed by Spurs trainers but
Marco was always was a v.good shooter, he shot .390 i .397 from three point range in his first two seasons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aduZoK36nM - video from his rookie year, look what type of shots he is making,
FG% is mostly about player's shot selection more than anything else, on a great team like Spurs you get lots of good looks
post #16828 of 27250
right fgp is mostly about shot selection... thats why rubios' fgp is so damn high cuz he gets open shots all the time... oh wait....


dude a highlight reel of a guy with poor form making a ton of shots doesn't prove anything. i could do the same with rubio or josh smith and "show" how wonderful their shots are

3/4s of those shots are him chucking up shots that somehow go in


i was watching him make shots last year at chicago and the hornets and his form isn't consistent at all. sometimes he jumps with his legs apart. sometimes he jumps straight up

look at his form in your video and look at his form in this video


the whole game his shot is very consistent especially if he has space. if he's in a rush or theres a defender taking away his space then he just does whatever to get the ball in. i counted like 4 of those

here he says they didn't work on much at all but that drills helped his balance more

and that predominantly what i see considering the sweeping motion is the one thing that helps most with balance
Edited by indesertum - 6/27/14 at 2:53pm
post #16829 of 27250
The only reason he was drafted was because he was always a great shooter!!! He wasn't drafted for his athletic ability or w/e.

It doesn't matter if his landing is inconsistent at times; many great shooters land wide on some of their shots. His shoot mechanics are v.good and always were. Obviously you didn't watch him a lot in the past. And even in the 2nd video you posted he says he didn't change mechanics of his shot. And keep in mind dude is .395 career from 3pt land, that's a great%, .357 was his worst year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

right fgp is mostly about shot selection... thats why rubios' fgp is so damn high cuz he gets open shots all the time... oh wait....

Rondo?

TO sum up, his shot maybe got tweaked but it doesn't fit to name him in one breath with Parker/Leonard because unlike those he was always a v.good shooter, even before he got into NBA. That's why it's not a matter of some shot whisperer doing magic on him.
Edited by wojt - 6/27/14 at 2:58pm
post #16830 of 27250
wow maybe your comprehension isn't the best. like i've clearly written he says his balance is better (and like the video says his shot mechanics are the same). balance has been the big issue for him and he says balance is what they've been working on. engelland didn't recreate his entire shot mechanic because he didn't need to. i simply said engelland helped him improve his shooting. i never said he went from worst in the league to the best. he went from a little above average to one of the league best

the best shooters land consistently the same way. the worst shooters don't. like when PG3 was having trouble shooting you could see that his landing was extremely inconsistent.


what does rondo have to do with anything? his FGP is terrible and his shots are mostly unassisted


what great shooters land inconsistently all the time? are you even implying an inconsistent shot makes you a better shooter?


yeah he was a .395 career from 3 pt land and this year he's shooting career highs .430

what is your point?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread