or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 1083

post #16231 of 27201
I have to laugh at the irony of people who spend most of their time bitching about Lebron on this thread, calling anyone else a bitch.
post #16232 of 27201
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

athleticism is not more innate.... you have to work hard for it. you realize how much and how many times a week nba players have to work out? same thing with shooting. for example tony parker is not a naturally good shooter. he had some pretty terrible habits coming into the league. he had to work hard on it with a good coach.
i think to a certain extent it is. which is not to say that it cannot be improved upon. when i think of athleticism i think of the raw talent and then also the polish that it has been given. i think lebron is a great example of a raw talent who has been polished. i think kobe is a great example of a pretty ordinary talent who has been very polished (if you can say that about any nba player). he wasn't freakishly strong, didn't have an astonishing vertical jump, but he developed those things to the best that he could.
as far as shooting goes, there's a certain innate eye-hand coordination that's required along with other physical skills. but then repetition and muscle memory become more important when you graduate from playground/hs to more serious levels. and when you get to the nba, and are starting to age-out in the nba, brain power becomes more and more important. the great players recognize when they can no longer get the shots they once did, and they retrain themselves to play a different game.
post #16233 of 27201
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

starting to age-out in the nba, brain power becomes more and more important. the great players recognize when they can no longer get the shots they once did, and they retrain themselves to play a different game.

Kobe is an excellent example of this. Jason Kidd as well. Kareem. Olajuwon was always a freak athlete but he also made great adjustments as he aged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

athleticism is not more innate.... you have to work hard for it.

Is there a definition that I'm missing here? I always believed athleticism to be genetic, sure you can improve upon it but athleticism seems the starting point to me.
post #16234 of 27201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post


Just a shame to see so many basketball fans root so hard against great basketball. I'm not a hardcore fan for any NBA team but as a Packers fan I still appreciate when Cutlerfucker does something work appreciating.

It's not really about rooting against great basketball, though, is it? The way most of us watch sports is to develop irrational or quasi-rational rooting interests in teams, players, particular situations, etc. That's what makes it interesting. Most of us begin watching sports as kids and learn to "love" our hometown players and "hate" opposing stars. It's a form of respect and recognition, really. If they weren't great players most of us wouldn't care that much. As a fan of the Showtime Lakers, I f'ing hated Larry Bird. But that doesn't mean I don't recognize his greatness. [No Isaiah.] And it's not any sort of rational judgment on who he is as a human being. He just played for the wrong team and stabbed me in my fanboy heart way too many times.

I used to enjoy pulling for LBJ when he was with Cleveland trying and failing to push his overmatched team to victory in the playoffs, the way Jordan used to score a futile 60 points while failing to get the early Bulls over the hump. The fact that I enjoy rooting against him now may have something to do with the whole circus around his move to Miami, but it's also just about the fact that there's no longer any way to think of him as an underdog. So I root enthusiastically against him, while being really glad that he's there for me to root against.
post #16235 of 27201
That's different, I think. Every Laker fan hated Bird in that way, and I suppose every Celtic and Pacer fan would hate Lebron in a similar fashion.

That's different from the hate that someone like Laimbeer got, which was because he is an awful human being.
post #16236 of 27201
Love these guys

DU6JWNk.jpg
post #16237 of 27201
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

That's different, I think. Every Laker fan hated Bird in that way, and I suppose every Celtic and Pacer fan would hate Lebron in a similar fashion.

That's different from the hate that someone like Laimbeer got, which was because he is an awful human being.

That's totally fair, but I think it's a bit more complicated than that. I imagine Piston fans loved Laimbeer, Spurs fans loved Bruce Bowen, Boston, Toronto, and NY fans loved Roger Clemens (not all at the same time, obviously) etc. When I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area my 49er fan friends even loved Bill Romanowski, who was an out-and-out douchebag.

Players who are clearly jerks, or who are perceived as playing dirty, draw more ire. They're also just more fun to hate, because you feel morally justified.
post #16238 of 27201
speaking of which: finally got around to watching the 30-on-30 about Detroit. Still loathe those guys. isiah thomas might be the worst human being to ever play in the nba (drastic overstatement, i know). and i'm convinced laimbeer was/is a sociopath. and fans can complain all they want about how "soft" the nba is today, but watching those highlights, this is a much better game.
post #16239 of 27201
@lawyerdad - Sure, I agree with that. The most recent example for me being Lance Stephenson. But i realized that he mostly irritated me because I was on the other side, and if I was an impartial observer I would probably find him alternately amusing and pathetic.

But the other point I wanted to make was there are some people who just collect haters. Some of these Lebron haters don't even support a basketball team
post #16240 of 27201
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

speaking of which: finally got around to watching the 30-on-30 about Detroit. Still loathe those guys. isiah thomas might be the worst human being to ever play in the nba (drastic overstatement, i know). and i'm convinced laimbeer was/is a sociopath. and fans can complain all they want about how "soft" the nba is today, but watching those highlights, this is a much better game.

+1. I'm not a basketball purist, but I've never really understood the appeal of having star athletes being murdered by brutes simply because they "dared" to go near the basket. The "and one" mentality of basketball can be annoying, but I'm watching to see freak athletes do their thing. Goons creaming anyone who goes up the middle doesn't push that button.
post #16241 of 27201
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

isiah thomas might be the worst human being to ever play in the nba (drastic overstatement, i know).
I'm not sure that's an overstatement. I certainly can't think of someone worse right now, besides Laimbeer. Donald Sterling didn't play in the league
post #16242 of 27201
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

@lawyerdad - Sure, I agree with that. The most recent example for me being Lance Stephenson. But i realized that he mostly irritated me because I was on the other side, and if I was an impartial observer I would probably find him alternately amusing and pathetic.

smile.gif
Stephenson is like a more talented M.L. Carr.
post #16243 of 27201
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post


But the other point I wanted to make was there are some people who just collect haters. Some of these Lebron haters don't even support a basketball team

it's the internet jake.
there is probably no topic that doesn't attract a group of people who hate on it just because it's there.
post #16244 of 27201
not really talkin bout ppl disliking their team's rivals, or heavy favorites, or ppl like that. if you can appreciate how good bron is while still rooting against him, you're not who i'm talking about. moreso those people who will diminish him unfairly at every single opportunity, or literally always compare jordan to him. i'm not trying to convince them they're wrong, just expressing bewilderment at why that exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

it's the internet jake.
there is probably no topic that doesn't attract a group of people who hate on it just because it's there.
jordan, kobe
post #16245 of 27201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothersport View Post

not really talkin bout ppl disliking their team's rivals, or heavy favorites, or ppl like that. if you can appreciate how good bron is while still rooting against him, you're not who i'm talking about. moreso those people who will diminish him unfairly at every single opportunity, or literally always compare jordan to him. i'm not trying to convince them they're wrong, just expressing bewilderment at why that exists.
jordan, kobe


I understand the distinction you're drawing. Fair enough.


You're saying that there's not a lot of kobe-hate out there? Or am I misreading your comment?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread