or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 965

post #14461 of 27206
The Pistons 30 for 30 was good, but not better than "The U" or even the Iverson one. Even the Reggie Miller was one was better. I loved watching it, though. I did gain an appreciation about the team dynamics there. And Isiah did get rid of Dantley.

Dude, Rich Mahorn is one obese motherfucker.
post #14462 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

Should have handed the ball to Lin.

His reaction when he saw the shot not go in : (

He was all by his lonesome surrounded by the Portland bench
post #14463 of 27206
wow… good game
post #14464 of 27206

this made me laugh hard when I saw it, though it's nice that he enacts the labor to interact with fans

post #14465 of 27206
LaMarcus Aldridge putting up a video game stat line with 46 pts and 18 rebounds...
post #14466 of 27206
The Hawks are yet to lose a playoff game. They're now the favorites to win it all.
post #14467 of 27206
ESPN is reporting that Mike Woodson is out with the Knicks.
post #14468 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

The 30 for 30 on the bad boys was really great. I didn't realize how crazy the fouls were. Kinda glad that era is over. It must've been pretty fucking scary to play against them tho

Bill lambeer sounds more like a douchebag than Isaiah Thomas.

Those were the good ole days smile.gif Isaiah has been considered, hands down, the biggest douche of all time in the NBA. True story. Laimbeer actualy coaches a women's team now and he is a nice guy off the court, Isaiah was hated on and off the court.

As I said before, its much more impressive to me for a team to hold a big time scorer to 10-15 points than it is for that scorer to score 40-50. I loved those hard foul days. I don't understand now, when I see Griffin clear out/hold off with his left forearm when going for a dunk, when James/Anthony are ISO on the wing and they just wrap their left arm around the defensive player to get passed him confused.gif Jordan would have averaged 45-50 a game with today's rules. Annyway, enough about that.

In terms of the playoffs, saw the Was/Chicago game, Wash looks really good uhoh.gif Nene/FrakenGortat make a good inside presence and Nene is a real good passer. If Beal and Wall havwe a good series, not only will Chicago be out but I wouldn't want to play Wash in the second round. The world is topsy turvy right now.

I expect Brooklyn to get rid of Toronto in 4-5 games and Brooklyn is another team I would not want to play against, assuming they are healthy.
post #14469 of 27206
What's your thoughts on the Pacers, ed? I love defensive teams too but are we witnessing one of the greatest collapses in recent NBA history or can they somehow turn it around?
post #14470 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Those were the good ole days smile.gif Isaiah has been considered, hands down, the biggest douche of all time in the NBA. True story. Laimbeer actualy coaches a women's team now and he is a nice guy off the court, Isaiah was hated on and off the court.
Not doubting this, since most of us manage to grow up a bit if given a few decades. But as a completely meaningless anecdotal factoid, Laimbeer grew up in my home town and went to the cross-town rival high school. He was generally considered to be a dick -- not just to opponents, but to teammates, classmates, etc.
post #14471 of 27206
I think the best representation of how Laimbeer was viewed around the league was how Robert Parish was allowed to drag him down and straight up punch him in the face at least three times without any repercussion. No ejection, no suspension....I'm not even sure if a foul or tech was called.

If the refs and commissioner basically shrug something like that off and act like you had that coming, well, maybe you did.
post #14472 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Jordan would have averaged 45-50 a game with today's rules.

I disagree with these statements claiming historical players would score that much, not because they can't but more because of efficient coaching.

Coaches wouldn't allow a single player to take on that much offensive load simply because they can. It's a waste of energy.

What would most likely happen is that MJ would still score around 30 still but his stats would be more efficient, (e.g. 5% increase in FG%).
post #14473 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post

I disagree with these statements claiming historical players would score that much, not because they can't but more because of efficient coaching.

Coaches wouldn't allow a single player to take on that much offensive load simply because they can. It's a waste of energy.

What would most likely happen is that MJ would still score around 30 still but his stats would be more efficient, (e.g. 5% increase in FG%).

Um hello maybe you haven't heard of scott brooks and Kevin muffins durant. Or mike brown and lebron
post #14474 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraiche View Post

I disagree with these statements claiming historical players would score that much, not because they can't but more because of efficient coaching.

Coaches wouldn't allow a single player to take on that much offensive load simply because they can. It's a waste of energy.

What would most likely happen is that MJ would still score around 30 still but his stats would be more efficient, (e.g. 5% increase in FG%).

What do you mean by a waste of energy? In part, it's a question of team dynamics. Before the Bulls reached their peak, Jordan would score 60 not because Phil Jackson was an "inefficient" coach, but because nobody else was going to supply those points. What is or is not an "efficient" use of "energy" depends on what the opportunity costs are.

You're also overlooking the fact that coaching those sorts of superstars involves keeping them reasonably happy and engaged. (See indesertum's post.) There are very few coaches who can rigorously implement the sort of "efficient" coaching you are talking about when the superstar player has far more leverage and job security. Moreover, for some of these players, aggressiveness, ego, borderline reckless abandon is an integral part of how they play. Some are adaptable, some are not. They are human beings, not statistical models, so you can't necessarily scale their stats up and down linearly to fit your models.
post #14475 of 27206
If it were true that efficiency scales up and down with usage okc should give even more possessions to muffins cuz that mofo has a true shooting percentage in like the mid 60s. Clearly not shooting enough. He would average 40 a game instead of 30
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread