or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 932

post #13966 of 27359
Question for the NYK fans or anyone who watched their last 5 games - does Amare look like he's going to stick in the starting lineup? And does it look like he can handle the minutes?

I've got a desperation slot open on my fantasy roster and he's been looking quite good over the last week...or is it stupid to even look in the Knicks' direction? I only need to spot start him for a week
post #13967 of 27359
I have watched the games and can't offer any guidance. The Knicks lineup is a revolving door this season.
post #13968 of 27359
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Question for the NYK fans or anyone who watched their last 5 games - does Amare look like he's going to stick in the starting lineup? And does it look like he can handle the minutes?

I've got a desperation slot open on my fantasy roster and he's been looking quite good over the last week...or is it stupid to even look in the Knicks' direction? I only need to spot start him for a week

don't do it. andrea baragnani basically sunk my team from playoff contention this year. i know its not amare. but only carmelo has been consistent this year... everyone else on the knicks sucks because of how up and down they are.

note: bargs was also a fantasy underrated stud at one point (and one of my most proud fantasy waiver wire pickups ever). at one point i had baragnani AND andrew bynum putting up huge numbers but then reality hit.

2nd side note: having knicks players in fantasy (i also had hardaway jr at one point) made me actually watch a lot of knicks games this year. this season was a joy to hate-watch the knicks as a whole (as a celtics fan), but wasn't healthy for my soul.
post #13969 of 27359
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

I'll leave it. You're a guy that uses crowd mentality to defend how you misinterpret and then can't climb back because you fear losing social status here. Its like losing a fight to a bird chest. It just happened to you so you rely on the idiots to keep you afloat and tell you it was a lucky punch. Well, it wasn't. It becomes compounded when another person chooses to believe, then another (like religion)... 3 people can't be wrong Ha ha, and its ibid, ibid, ibid... the place where "the blind leading the blind" came from. Then the resident wordsmiths even arrived to save the day, again on cue. I recall talk about past participles and "objectifying a subjective bla bla bla". Just stupid.

And I only care as far as it elaborates a personal journey/social experiment and an occasional good GIF/post. You've given me reason to justify playing along. But you're still an entrenched cool kid relying on the thumbs up of idiots.

And you're a liar by omission. Your post has nothing to do with malice, you omit the part about maintaining your social status here. I have none, therefore I have shit to lose. You on the other hand... again, life imitates art.

You would have gained my respect by admitting you whiffed, but I'm the sideshow, you were always talking past me towards the people you want positive reinforcement from. Proof is in the many that have posted similar sentiments, but you can't challenge them until you finally found a bird chest (me) you could try and bully with your cute little facts. And look, you got the reinforcement you craved and order is maintained: the idiots believe you. A mod will soon trot along to slap me on the wrist, then all is right on SF again.
That's not how leaving it works ...
post #13970 of 27359
Thanks, that's what I initially thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

I have watched the games and can't offer any guidance. The Knicks lineup is a revolving door this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

don't do it. andrea baragnani basically sunk my team from playoff contention this year. i know its not amare. but only carmelo has been consistent this year... everyone else on the knicks sucks because of how up and down they are.

note: bargs was also a fantasy underrated stud at one point (and one of my most proud fantasy waiver wire pickups ever). at one point i had baragnani AND andrew bynum putting up huge numbers but then reality hit.

2nd side note: having knicks players in fantasy (i also had hardaway jr at one point) made me actually watch a lot of knicks games this year. this season was a joy to hate-watch the knicks as a whole (as a celtics fan), but wasn't healthy for my soul.
post #13971 of 27359
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

The way he went 22 for 33 looked really easy. It didn't look impressive. It looked like he was on a practice court. It didn't look entertaining.

His baskets looked too easy. It looked like he was a practice court.
It looked easy. It looked like he was on a practice court.
It looked easy. It looked like he was on a practice court.
It looked easy. It looked like he was on a practice court.
It looked easy. It looked like he was on a practice court.
It looked easy. It looked like he was on a practice court.
It looked easy. It looked like he was on a practice court.


They say you have to repeat things 7 times for some people to understand. There you go, a non-factual opinion 7 times.

 


Ok, against my better judgement, I'll bite.

Even if I'm taking you at face value and this truly is your opinion, it reflects pure ignorance toward NBA basketball. It 's like you're saying you think the world is flat and that that's just your opinion and you don't care about any facts that state the contrary. I really don't understand how you can think LBJ's game against the Bobcats looked easy when, as stats have pointed out, defensive efficiency is up across the league and the Bobcats happen to be ranked 7th in defensive efficiency this season. How exactly are you supposed to guard LeBron, if you'll be so kind to indulge me? He was hitting his jumper all night long and that's the weakest part of his game. So do you just play him tight and set yourself up for the blow-by and the tomahawk throwdown at the rim? Even if the D is disciplined and the defensive rotations are sound, LBJ is a great passer and will find the open man.

So how would you guard him? Mind you, the Bobcats eventually started double-teaming him the second he crossed halfcourt and he was still draining shots. And don't you dare bring up some nonsense about how hand-checking should still be allowed. That's a cop-out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post
This is a tough one. If he's allowed to be a ball-dominant score-first PG, he's probably a top 5 player in terms of production (I'm not terribly sure about this, but let's say top 10 for sure). If you can flip him for CP3, then yes, absolutely, but that's probably unrealistic. To move him you need to get a bonafide star, not a bunch of decent to good players.

I also expect that OKC management is going to be very cautious in making big trades given all the (well deserved) criticism they've received over the Harden fuckup...they'll only move him for a no brainer acquisition.

 


I think there are really only 2 realistic scenarios for trading Westbrook. One, as someone mentioned and that Bill Simmons brought up a couple years ago, is trading RW for Rajon Rondo straight up. This scenario is exceedingly unlikely seeing as how Rondo still isn't playing at an elite level after his ACL tear, but he's getting there. He's also on a very favorable contract for the time being.

The other scenario is one that Zach Lowe mentioned in a Grantland article a couple weeks ago. He suggested packaging Westbrook and Kendrick Perkins for Ricky Rubio and Nikola Pekovic (plus whatever draft picks and cash considerations are needed to make the trade work). The Thunder would probably push for K-Love instead of Pekovic, but the T-wolves would probably balk at that trade. Either way, Rondo or Rubio would be a better compliment to Durant, but I just don't think the Thunder are getting enough in return for giving up RW, so I think he stays put.
Edited by diadem - 3/10/14 at 9:11am
post #13972 of 27359
Would it be crazy to trade Westbrook for a ton of draft picks? I'm in camp he hurts more than he helps.
post #13973 of 27359
They already got a bunch good youngns

I think actually the thunder could develop Rubio really well. Work on his shots over the summer
post #13974 of 27359
Westbrook for this upcoming #1 would be intriguing. But I'm of the opinion that as deep as this draft is supposedly is, there is no super can't miss prospect like Duncan or Lebron - I've seen Wiggins, Parker, Randle and Embiid and I'm not wowed in the sense that they are jaw droppingly good...the last college players that made me say holy shit when I saw them play were Rose, Durant and Blake Griffin, and these guys don't seem to be there yet
post #13975 of 27359
Thread Starter 
The hell is going on with the top seeds bombing lately?

Pacers lost 4 in a row and 5-5 in their last 10. Miami is on a 3-game losing streak and OKC is on 2 going 5-5 on their last 10 as well. Spurs leapfrogged over all three of them for the first place.
post #13976 of 27359
cue little Stevie to start posting LOL!!
post #13977 of 27359
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

See Hroi, it doesn't take much to provoke idiots to come out and back-slap.

Neo, you wouldn't be able to identify thought if it "thumbed up" you strait in the ass.
I can tell. Give Neo above one for us.

I'm glad you stopped trying to justifying a loser argument, that's to your credit. And I mean that.

It's spelled "straight".
post #13978 of 27359
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

Would it be crazy to trade Westbrook for a ton of draft picks? I'm in camp he hurts more than he helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

The other scenario is one that Zach Lowe mentioned in a Grantland article a couple weeks ago. He suggested packaging Westbrook and Kendrick Perkins for Ricky Rubio and Nikola Pekovic (plus whatever draft picks and cash considerations are needed to make the trade work). The Thunder would probably push for K-Love instead of Pekovic, but the T-wolves would probably balk at that trade. Either way, Rondo or Rubio would be a better compliment to Durant, but I just don't think the Thunder are getting enough in return for giving up RW, so I think he stays put.

the trade to do is Westbrook for Kevin Love straight up!

reggie jackson looked great as a starting PG especially since he was so good at setting KD up (remember KD was killing it during the time westbrook was out, partly because he had a proper PG feeding him to open jumpers).

it seems like Love would be a perfect complement to ibaka/KD because he could create space when needed (by standing on the perimeter, or posting up then kicking out to KD or ibaka vice versa)

Reggie jackson, lamb/sefalosia, KD, Love, Ibaka is something.

You could basically unleash Westbrook in minnesota and have him play 2 guard with rubio. He'd probably score like 35pts a game taking 20+ shots. lol.
post #13979 of 27359
KD as 3, Ibaka as 4, Love as 5?

it seems like overload at the bigs

i think they just need a good passing pg along with some other assets
post #13980 of 27359
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Question for the NYK fans or anyone who watched their last 5 games - does Amare look like he's going to stick in the starting lineup? And does it look like he can handle the minutes?

I've got a desperation slot open on my fantasy roster and he's been looking quite good over the last week...or is it stupid to even look in the Knicks' direction? I only need to spot start him for a week

I didn't pick him up because his games fell on days when I already had full rosters. Otherwise I would have. It seems like he's going to get minutes, whether via the starting linup or not. I took K Middleton instead, the Bucks have 5 games this week.

This said, the Knicks rotation has been a mess and he could lose the momentum in a heartbeat. I was willing to take the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

But I'm of the opinion that as deep as this draft is supposedly is, there is no super can't miss prospect like Duncan or Lebron - I've seen Wiggins

I watched the Wiggins kid play twice. He's good but didn't blow me away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post


the trade to do is Westbrook for Kevin Love straight up!

Not a chance Minn would bite on that. The lines Love is putting up are pretty untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

Even if I'm taking you at face value and this truly is your opinion, it reflects pure ignorance toward NBA basketball. It 's like you're saying you think the world is flat and that that's just your opinion and you don't care about any facts that state the contrary. I really don't understand how you can think LBJ's game against the Bobcats looked easy when, as stats have pointed out, defensive efficiency is up across the league and the Bobcats happen to be ranked 7th in defensive efficiency this season. How exactly are you supposed to guard LeBron, if you'll be so kind to indulge me? He was hitting his jumper all night long and that's the weakest part of his game. So do you just play him tight and set yourself up for the blow-by and the tomahawk throwdown at the rim? Even if the D is disciplined and the defensive rotations are sound, LBJ is a great passer and will find the open man.

So how would you guard him? Mind you, the Bobcats eventually started double-teaming him the second he crossed halfcourt and he was still draining shots. And don't you dare bring up some nonsense about how hand-checking should still be allowed. That's a cop-out.

Against my better judgement I will respond, but I don't really want want to revisit it. Your point is valid, though.

I don't believe he can really be guarded because the way the rules are structured and favoritism won't allow for it. IMO to be effective against him you have to body him up, distract him, get in his grill to bother him. If you do that he has less bandwidth to think about passes and generally make decisions. When he does get to the rim you need to see him on his ass. You can't play him that way today without getting insta-fouls called on you. LeBron is not shy to exaggerate contact. You can't really go for steals against him for the same reasons.

The league wants stars and to have its stars draw big lines. It's what attracts fans, tv audiences and also generates highlights to add to that feedback loop.

Since we live in this world, and not one where he could actually be gotten after, the best I've seen to date was Jimmy Butler in last year's playoffs. That kid was pretty incredible against him. I think LeBron shot 34% yesterday against the Bulls. I didn't see it, but I would not be surprised if it was because of Butler.

As a team, San Antonio played him the only way you can the way the league is. You have to give him the jumper and stop the penetration. Pop was right. If it wasn't for that idiot Manu he'd have another ring for it.

So in essence, you have a guy of his caliber shooting open jumpers. He gets played this way a lot now. So ya, when you get open looks like that all the time to protect from penetration, it looks pretty easy when he hit the shots. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.
Edited by idfnl - 3/10/14 at 2:25pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread