or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 915

post #13711 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

something a bit more topical... this is amusing and interesting

http://grantland.com/features/bill-simmons-breaks-down-the-2014-worst-nba-contracts/

 


Bill Simmons' articles are always a good read. So on point about Joe Dumars...what a clown.

He is right about Amar'e Stoudemire, though. He was legitimately a superstar before he came to New York. Just so sad how his body broke down.
post #13712 of 27353
I must be the only person that thinks Simmons is an awful combination of fanboy, troll and Bob Costas-ish "I know more than you".
post #13713 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

I must be the only person that thinks Simmons is an awful combination of fanboy, troll and Bob Costas-ish "I know more than you".

 


Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a good journalist in the traditional sense of the word, but his op-eds are for the most part based on rational thought (backed up by stats) with a generous slice of sarcasm, which make them entertaining reads for me (except when he talks about the Celtics).

I think it's fair to say he does know more than the average NBA fan in terms of player contracts, cap rules, and transactions between teams. Also, wasn't he in the running for Bucks GM at one point?

Edit: Never mind, that Bucks GM thing was a joke on his part.
post #13714 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

I must be the only person that thinks Simmons is an awful combination of fanboy, troll and Bob Costas-ish "I know more than you".

This. Only writers I like on grantland are zach Lowe and dr goldsberry. Simmons is almost insufferable
post #13715 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post


The Knicks

 

I have to admit to irrationally liking Melo and wanting him back. It's about his potential to go off and score 62 points that makes him a compelling player if not a superstar. Obviously that's not a good reason to keep him but he sure can be exciting. 

post #13716 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

I have to admit to irrationally liking Melo and wanting him back. It's about his potential to go off and score 62 points that makes him a compelling player if not a superstar. Obviously that's not a good reason to keep him but he sure can be exciting. 

He is his own worst enemy. Too many low percentage shots. Its not the 20-22 shots or whatever he averages, its that 10 of them are taken falling away from 19 feet with two guys hanging on him. Again, put him in a triangle offense, where he plays the Kobe/Jordan role, and he averages 30 points a game and averages 2-3 shots less a game. The Knicks are the worse team for him to be on right now because the coach and owner do whatever he says. He is not Kevin Durant, he does not know how to handle that responsibility or know when he is needed to take 30 shots or when he is needed to take only 15. He is like JR, if they are on the floor, then that means they shoot everytime they touch the ball. He needs a Jackson/Riley/Pop type of coach.
post #13717 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

I must be the only person that thinks Simmons is an awful combination of fanboy, troll and Bob Costas-ish "I know more than you".

pre podcasts/espn TV guy simmons was the best because those that wanted to read his articles read him. but now he's being forced upon an unsuspecting audience.

plus he's the editor in chief of grandland - which as a whole is fucking awesome - but probably creates a ton of resentment because he's like the unqualified guy who gets promoted to president of the company and despite that it flourishes because everyone around him is so much better than him and supports him anyway.

the one thing he is a true expert at is NBA basketball though. he may have different opinions and openly cheer/troll certain fan bases, but he's totally qualified to make nba opinions even if he comes off like a political pundit.

he's actually kind of like jay leno (tonight show version). jay leno has real comedy chops (seriously he does) but his tonight show persona and baggage a huge turnoff to many, but the powers that be realize that the bottom line (page hits, podcast downloads, and popularity = money) is all that matters.
post #13718 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

pre podcasts/espn TV guy simmons was the best because those that wanted to read his articles read him. but now he's being forced upon an unsuspecting audience.

plus he's the editor in chief of grandland - which as a whole is fucking awesome - but probably creates a ton of resentment because he's like the unqualified guy who gets promoted to president of the company and despite that it flourishes because everyone around him is so much better than him and supports him anyway.

the one thing he is a true expert at is NBA basketball though. he may have different opinions and openly cheer/troll certain fan bases, but he's totally qualified to make nba opinions even if he comes off like a political pundit.

he's actually kind of like jay leno (tonight show version). jay leno has real comedy chops (seriously he does) but his tonight show persona and baggage a huge turnoff to many, but the powers that be realize that the bottom line (page hits, podcast downloads, and popularity = money) is all that matters.

I enjoy Simmons for what he is. Your point about pre podcast/espn Simmons is a good one. But I have to differ with you on Grantland. Occasionally one of the articles is really good. But most of the time they're all trying way to hard to write "like Bill Simmons", and the lame, forced pop culture references and attempted inside jokes are so intrusive as to make the articles unreadable. Like Simmons' schtick or hate it, but at least if feels like it reflects his actual personality and thinking. Most of the Grantland writers seem to by trying way too hard to ape him rather than finding their own voices.
post #13719 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

He is his own worst enemy. Too many low percentage shots. Its not the 20-22 shots or whatever he averages, its that 10 of them are taken falling away from 19 feet with two guys hanging on him. Again, put him in a triangle offense, where he plays the Kobe/Jordan role, and he averages 30 points a game and averages 2-3 shots less a game. The Knicks are the worse team for him to be on right now because the coach and owner do whatever he says. He is not Kevin Durant, he does not know how to handle that responsibility or know when he is needed to take 30 shots or when he is needed to take only 15. He is like JR, if they are on the floor, then that means they shoot everytime they touch the ball. He needs a Jackson/Riley/Pop type of coach.

Melo could be the ultimate system offense guy but he'll only subjugate himself if he's playing on the olympics (with ALL-NBA teammates) or the all star game. its so irritating to watch and listen to knick fans call into mike lupica and say things like "see I told you! melo is awesome! look at this ASG performance!"

Then you have last night's game with the knicks heartbreakingly losing to the grizzlies and you can hear Walt Fraiser just kind of giving up and in exasperation (but in a very eloquent and flowery-ly worded way lol8[1].gif ) when melo takes a pull up 3 in transition with 4 grizzlies under the basket and 20 seconds left on the shot clock late in the 4th quarter.

If i were the spurs, you could maybe fool the knicks into a trade with kawai leonard as the major piece for carmelo
post #13720 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I enjoy Simmons for what he is. Your point about pre podcast/espn Simmons is a good one. But I have to differ with you on Grantland. Occasionally one of the articles is really good. But most of the time they're all trying way to hard to write "like Bill Simmons", and the lame, forced pop culture references and attempted inside jokes are so intrusive as to make the articles unreadable. Like Simmons' schtick or hate it, but at least if feels like it reflects his actual personality and thinking. Most of the Grantland writers seem to by trying way too hard to ape him rather than finding their own voices.

jona keri, zach lowe and bill barnwell (and the jalen rose, do you like prince movies, and nFL grand land podcasts) are pure gold. seriously just pure gold. even the super biased stuff from guys like Rafe Bartholomew is great (because there is real journalism going on).

thats enough to make grantland a smashing success. sure there is a lot of useless stuff in their, but grant land is basically the rolling stone for sports or maybe actually engulfing what rolling stone used to be.
post #13721 of 27353
Granland has far less typos than the Times. Colour me impressed that in this day and age they seem to actually edit their articles.
post #13722 of 27353
can someone explain to me where Patty Mills came from and why a black guy has such an irish name confused.gif
post #13723 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

Granland has far less typos than the Times. Colour Color me impressed that in this day and age they seem to actually edit their articles.

I don't think you're that far north . . . smile.gif
post #13724 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post


He is his own worst enemy. Too many low percentage shots. Its not the 20-22 shots or whatever he averages, its that 10 of them are taken falling away from 19 feet with two guys hanging on him. Again, put him in a triangle offense, where he plays the Kobe/Jordan role, and he averages 30 points a game and averages 2-3 shots less a game. The Knicks are the worse team for him to be on right now because the coach and owner do whatever he says. He is not Kevin Durant, he does not know how to handle that responsibility or know when he is needed to take 30 shots or when he is needed to take only 15. He is like JR, if they are on the floor, then that means they shoot everytime they touch the ball. He needs a Jackson/Riley/Pop type of coach.

 

Can you imagine if the Knicks had a driving threat like LBJ? Melo would get so many open 3 looks.

post #13725 of 27353
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

can someone explain to me where Patty Mills came from and why a black guy has such an irish name confused.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread