Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:19 pm in Classic Menswear
- Advantages of a $1000 Pair of Shoes Last post on 8/8/15 at 12:30pm in Classic Menswear
- The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. Last post on 1/1/17 at 9:11am in Streetwear and Denim
- Alden Black Shell Cordovan Penny Loafer Full Strap Aberdeen Single Leather 12D Last post on 7/19/15 at 2:40pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
Last edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Tremont LastLast edited: 3/31/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 857post #12841 of 276568/21/13 at 4:34pmThread Starterpost #12842 of 276568/21/13 at 4:45pmpost #12843 of 276568/26/13 at 12:51pmpost #12844 of 276568/26/13 at 12:53pmpost #12845 of 276568/26/13 at 1:45pmpost #12846 of 276568/26/13 at 1:54pmpost #12847 of 276568/27/13 at 10:08ampost #12848 of 276568/27/13 at 10:22ampost #12849 of 276568/27/13 at 3:35pmQuote:
Only his career.
And yes, the references to "candy" were to the traditional kind, like Snickers or Reese's Cups or whatever. There were occasional features stories about how much of it he consumed. Whatever drug issues he may also have, the candy references were not some sort of urban slang.post #12850 of 276568/29/13 at 1:31pmThread StarterJust to get some conversation going, read this article about Rondo and why he isn't worth a max deal despite his passing and defensive abilities.Quote:Why Rajon Rondo Is Not in Same Class as Chris Paul
The Boston Celtics have been fielding trade offers for All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo for the last couple of seasons. Now that time is running out on his very favorable contract, the Celtics must decide whether to trade Rondo or commit to him with a maximum contract.
But is Rajon Rondo really worth a max deal that matches or exceeds salaries paid to Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony?
In order for Rondo to be considered worthy of a maximum contract, it has to be proven that he is on the same level as other elite point guards; he doesn't necessarily have to be better or even equally as good, but he has to at least be close.
As the evidence below proves, however, Rondo does not belong in the same class as other elite guards, and he shouldn't be paid a maximum deal that will handcuff any team that is foolish enough to give it to him.
Why compare Rondo with Chris Paul?
Chris Paul is the ideal player to compare to Rondo to help determine if a max contract is valid, because Paul is not necessarily a pure scorer like Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook, and Paul is probably the only elite point guard who can keep up with Rondo on the defensive end. In short, Paul's talents are more similar to Rondo's than probably any other player in basketball.
Is Rondo an elite-level scorer or shooter?
One of the weakest elements to Rondo's resume is his shooting and scoring ability. Despite shooting a high career average of 48.1 percent from the field, Rondo has managed to average only 11.1 points per game, with 13.7 points per game being his career high. This figure is significantly lower than every other so-called elite point guard in the NBA. Chris Paul, for instance, has a career average of 18.6 points per game on a very solid 47.3 percent shooting, reaching a much more impressive career high of 22.8 points per game in 2008-2009.
The reason why Rondo struggles scoring the ball relative to other great point guards is due to his inability to shoot from mid-range or from the 3-point line. Over his career, Rondo has only managed to average 36.8 percent from at least 13 feet compared to Chris Paul's season average of 41.3 percent. In particular, Rondo has struggled greatly from beyond the arc, hitting only 24.3 percent of 3-pointers on average while Paul made an average of 35.7 percent of his 3s.
Rondo at the charity stripe
Getting to the foul line to shoot free-throws is one of the easiest and most underrated ways a small guard can impact the game. Unfortunately, for Celtics fans, Rondo is one of the worst guards in the NBA at hitting free-throws and getting to the line. In the 2012-2013 NBA season, Rondo made a dismal 64.5 percent of his free-throw attempts, the worst rate of success for any point guard that year who had at least 30 attempts. There were even 39 NBA centers who managed to shoot a better free-throw percentage! Chris Paul, on the other hand, shot 88.5 percent.
Rondo struggles in the fourth quarter while Paul thrives
In Rondo's career, he has taken far fewer than half the number of field-goal attempts in the fourth quarter with five minutes or less to go in the game than Chris Paul has, but Paul and other elite point guards are shooting at a higher rate.
Rondo has made only 41.2 percent of his shots in this important game situation, but Paul has made 45.6 percent of shots, LeBron James has completed 46.1 percent, Rose has sunk 44.3 percent, and Deron Williams has made 43.2 percent. And although the gap here seems relatively small, Rondo's attempts per game are much lower (because he knows he is a poor shooter in the fourth quarter), and the gap between Rondo's shooting percentage and other elite players is much larger when you only look at shots beyond 10 feet.
Rondo doesn't always make his team better
Rondo's inability to shoot from the outside, his stretches of careless ball-control, and his struggles from the free-throw line have, at times, hurt his team more than his incredible passing ability has helped Boston.
After he tore his ACL on Jan. 25 against the Atlanta Hawks, the Celtics were a disappointing 20-23. Despite suffering multiple additional injuries, Boston would post a record of 21-17 for the remainder of the year, a winning percentage with Rondo off the floor of .552 compared to .465 with him on it. This is likely due to the fact that when Rondo was in the lineup for Boston, the Celtics managed to make only an additional 0.3 field-goals on average compared to when he was not in the lineup. In contrast, Chris Paul added an average of 4.8 field goals for his team when he was on the court.
Elite point guards like Chris Paul deserve maximum contract deals, but as this analysis shows, Rajon Rondo, while still one of the best point guards in the NBA, is not on the same playing field as Paul, Rose, Durant, James and other elite players. For that reason, the Celtics would be wise to avoid giving him a long-term deal at or near the maximum yearly salary.post #12851 of 276568/29/13 at 1:38pmQuote:
Whoa, the author posits a causal relationship between Rondo's not being an elite-level scorer and the fact that he's a crappy shooter. Controversial stuff!post #12852 of 276568/29/13 at 1:53pmpost #12853 of 276568/29/13 at 1:59pmThread StarterQuote:
Obvious stuff yes but again he is being considered a max player and some here might actually agree. So you really don't know what kind of discussion you can get.
As skitlet said, there are also intangibles that goes further than just stats to a player so yeah.post #12854 of 276568/29/13 at 2:02pmpost #12855 of 276568/29/13 at 2:27pmQuote:
#same problems as dwight howard # still gets max moneyz
if rondo comes back healthy and strong he'll be traded. I hate to see him go, but two more years at that great contract is worth a motherload - especially for a team that can utilize his talents (warriors/nuggets/rockets).. my bet is there's a three way trade involving the Pacers and celtics.Quote:
please... do you know how perfect rondo would be on the Heat? In fact the heat actually have to start thinking of ways to keep lebron.... getting him a pass first PG (damn that sounded weird and is sad considering) like rondo might be one of the ways to extend lebron's career after this year.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton Last
Currently, there are 1648 Active Users (269 Members and 1379 Guests)
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 12 seconds ago
- › Antonio Meccariello Shoes 38 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 minute ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 6 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 7 minutes ago
- › patrickBOOTH's Third-of-Life Crisis and (Mostly) Self-Imposed... 10 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 11 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 17 minutes ago
- › The Toronto For Sale Thread 18 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...