or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 811

post #12151 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Is Kidd the second best player ever to wear a Nets uniform (behind Dr. J)?

it gets even more depressing the further down the line you go:

1. Dr. J
2. Kidd
3. Petrovic
4. Marbury??
5. Coleman??
6. Anderson??
8. Williams (Jayson)???

uhoh.gif
post #12152 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

I am trying to think of coaches that were genuine superstars as players and then went on to coaching success. At the moment, Doc Rivers is the best I can think of, though he wasn't quite a superstar. A legit sometime all-star, I think, but not Kidd level.

larry bird mutharfuka!
post #12153 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

larry bird mutharfuka!
What part of coaching success do you not understand?
To be fair, I just looked up Rivers's career. Seems like he wasn't as good a player as I remember and may never been an all-star. Best season was 1986-87 when he averaged 12.8 points and 10.0 assists.
post #12154 of 27206
Russell? He was player/coach for the Celtics and I think the won 1 or 2 chips with him in that role.

Did KC Jones have a good career as a player?

Phil Jackson, as much as I hate him, was a legit star and obviously a winning coach.
post #12155 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

I am trying to think of coaches that were genuine superstars as players and then went on to coaching success. At the moment, Doc Rivers is the best I can think of, though he wasn't quite a superstar. A legit sometime all-star, I think, but not Kidd level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

larry bird mutharfuka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

What part of coaching success do you not understand?
To be fair, I just looked up Rivers's career. Seems like he wasn't as good a player as I remember and may never been an all-star. Best season was 1986-87 when he averaged 12.8 points and 10.0 assists.

Wait, what?
Check out Bird's coaching record:
Team Year G W L W–L% Finish PG PW PL PW–L% Result
IND 1997–98 82 58 24 .707 2nd in Central 16 10 6 .625 Lost in Conf. Finals
IND 1998–99 50 33 17 .660 1st in Central 13 9 4 .692 Lost in Conf. Finals
IND 1999–00 82 56 26 .683 1st in Central 23 13 10 .565 Lost in NBA Finals
Career 214 147 67 .687 52 32 20 .615

Not bad at all.
post #12156 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

it gets even more depressing the further down the line you go:

1. Dr. J
2. Kidd
3. Petrovic
4. Marbury??
5. Coleman??
6. Anderson??
8. Williams (Jayson)???

uhoh.gif

You forgot Chocolate Thunder
post #12157 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Russell? He was player/coach for the Celtics and I think the won 1 or 2 chips with him in that role.

Did KC Jones have a good career as a player?

Phil Jackson, as much as I hate him, was a legit star and obviously a winning coach.
Really? I assumed he was a scrub-to-mediocre, like Riley.

Edit: From Wiki -
Quote:
In 1967, Jackson was drafted in the second round by the New York Knicks. While he was a good all-around athlete, with unusually long arms, he was limited offensively and compensated with intelligence and hard work on defense [alt. "was white"]. Jackson eventually established himself as a fan favorite and one of the NBA's leading substitutes. He was a top reserve on the Knicks team that won the NBA title in 1973. Jackson did not play during New York's 1969-70 championship season due to spinal fusion surgery; however, he authored a book entitled Take It All, a photo diary of the Knicks' 1970 championship run.

Soon after the 1973 title, several key starters retired, creating an opening for Jackson in the starting lineup.[6] In the 1974-75 NBA season, Jackson and the Milwaukee Bucks' Bob Dandridge shared the lead for total personal fouls, with 330 each.[8] Jackson lived in Leonia, New Jersey during this time.[9] After going across the Hudson in 1978 to play two seasons for the New Jersey Nets, he retired from play in 1980.


Jones had a lot of rings from his days on the Celtics, but career stats are unimpressive. Can't tell if he had any standout years and stats simply suffered from longevity.
post #12158 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Did KC Jones have a good career as a player?.

KC Jones has 8 championships as a player. using the Kobe's got 5 rings (near jordan better than lebron) logic KC Jones is a top 3 player of all time. tounge.gif
post #12159 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Russell? He was player/coach for the Celtics and I think the won 1 or 2 chips with him in that role.

Did KC Jones have a good career as a player?

Phil Jackson, as much as I hate him, was a legit star and obviously a winning coach.

probably Billy Cunningham. He's won a championship and is a HOF level player. and the aforementioned KC Jones. Kidd actually has a chance to do that probably - I have a feeling he's going to be a great coach.

edit: actually if you go down the list of players with the most championships you also get Tom Heinsohn who won 2 championships coaching the celtics. The celtics and now the Lakers and Spurs are basically coaching and GM mills these days though.
post #12160 of 27206
McHale will trump everyone once Howard signs with Houston.
post #12161 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

What part of coaching success do you not understand?
To be fair, I just looked up Rivers's career. Seems like he wasn't as good a player as I remember and may never been an all-star. Best season was 1986-87 when he averaged 12.8 points and 10.0 assists.

I was gonna post Magic Johnson, then I re-read success.
post #12162 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

McHale will trump everyone once Howard signs with Houston.

Kind of had the opposite thought. That guy brings lulz, not rings.
post #12163 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

McHale will trump everyone once Howard signs with Houston.

mcHale actually had a bit of "happy go lucky" in him too (its just that he also had larry bird on his team for the chips). Maybe its a match made in heaven... a core of harden, howard, maybe chris/cliff paul, lin, parsons is frightening.
post #12164 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Kind of had the opposite thought. That guy brings lulz, not rings.

unless you were the guy guarding him in the low block. Then the lulz were on you.
post #12165 of 27206
larry bird was a successful coach by almost any stretch -- no rings, but solid winning pct.
Phil jackson is an amazing coach, but was basically a kurt rambis type of players. very limited skill set, played smart and hard (and threw LOTS of elbows).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread