or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread - Page 799

post #11971 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

Even tho steve is a piece of shit and I posted a week ago I'd still rather have the spurs on their last leg win than the heat.

I don't pay attention to your posts for obvious reasons, but don't you loathe LBJ?

Wouldn't his coming to LA make you apoplectic?

As a Spur fan I'm more worried about Indiana.
post #11972 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Fair point. If such posts ran, "Because I had him on three fantasy teams I watched him closely this year, and I observed . . ." they might have some value.
In my experience, they never do. The assertion of ownership is almost always followed by some sort assumed equivalence between the player's impact on the speaker's fantasy team performance and his value as a member of a real world team.
Not nitpicking, but genuinely curious about your meaning: are you saying that you can glean something from a box score that you can't glean from more aggregated statistics?

I'm not sure how you read what I wrote, but I think so. I originally meant to use "statistics" and "box score" as colloquial synonyms -- i.e., you can't answer "how good is this player?" with a bunch of numbers, but reading the box score will get you going pretty far in the right direction.

However I do also think that you can learn a lot more from following box scores than you can from looking at aggregate stats. Reading a box score and/or a game cast will give you a much better picture of the flow of a player's game than glancing at his season PPG or FG% or rushing yards or passing yards. It seems like every year in football there are a couple of players who build overhyped fantasy reps on the back of one or two monster games, or there will be players who pad their stats in garbage time. And if you can get a good game cast, sometimes you will get a dozen or so bullet points for every period/quarter, which can help you see stuff that doesn't show up in statistics. This helps me a lot personally in hockey, where you might get a snippet like "Malkin mishandles a beautiful feed from Crosby and Rask makes the easy stop," which would show up on the stat sheet as a shot for Malkin and a save for Rask, but nothing for Sid, when in reality it was something that ordinarily would produce a point for him. All of this stuff is something I pay more attention to when I have these guys on my fantasy rosters, FWIW.

As an aside I agree almost completely with your original point, I just commented the way I did because I think it's an unfortunate aspect of the state of fantasy sports/sports discussion online.
post #11973 of 27206

LeBron isn't going to LA.

post #11974 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Your reply to HRoi's reply of my post:
But whatever, I don't really care either way, I am a basketball fan and when my team is out of it (or even when they are in it), I try not to get caught up in the hype and look at matchups and things like defense, rebounding and benches which is why I knew Miami was not going to cruise past Indiana even though everyone had Miami winning the series in 4-5 games. Miami would have the same issues if they were playing the Knicks and will have the same issues if they beat Indiana and play the Spurs. I expect Miami to win tonight because in a game 7 at home, with the best player on either team in LeBron, it would take a career game from multiple Pacers to pull it off, but I do expect it to be close.
Most of the pundits had six games. Did anybody reputable have 4? (Vegas had Miami as like 5-16 favorites to win the chip before this series and they usually know their shit)

Matchups don't predict Wade's knee, Bosh forgetting how to shoot, Ray Allen and Battier not hitting 3s. Obviously Hibbert and West are a bad matchup for the Heat, but even within this series we saw how Bosh (when he hits his shots) is a bad matchup for Indiana. He just isn't hitting those shots. The perimeter players aren't hitting their shots, and Wade can't break down D like they need him to. All the bad matchups have been massively amplified by factors that Indiana didn't create. It's kind of a perfect storm for them. f the Heat were actually playing like they had for most of the last two months, it could easily have been a six (or maybe five) game series. They did play like that in Game 3 and they blew the Pacers off the court.
Quote:
This could be Miami's last chance for a chip with this cast. Assuming no major moves next year from any eastern conference team, I have Miami as second/third best team in the East next year, maybe forth best. And depending on how the West shakeouts with Howard, the West might have 2-3 teams better than Miami next year.
Behind who, Indiana and Chicago?
post #11975 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post

LeBron isn't going to LA.

Yeah everyone knows he returning to Cleveland
post #11976 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Most of the pundits had six games. Did anybody reputable have 4? (Vegas had Miami as like 5-16 favorites to win the chip before this series and they usually know their shit)

Matchups don't predict Wade's knee, Bosh forgetting how to shoot, Ray Allen and Battier not hitting 3s. Obviously Hibbert and West are a bad matchup for the Heat, but even within this series we saw how Bosh (when he hits his shots) is a bad matchup for Indiana. He just isn't hitting those shots. The perimeter players aren't hitting their shots, and Wade can't break down D like they need him to. All the bad matchups have been massively amplified by factors that Indiana didn't create. It's kind of a perfect storm for them. f the Heat were actually playing like they had for most of the last two months, it could easily have been a six (or maybe five) game series. They did play like that in Game 3 and they blew the Pacers off the court.
Behind who, Indiana and Chicago?

Every sport article I read prior to the series talked about would the Pacers be able to get a game off the Heat. No one in this thread thought the Pacers could win more than 2 games against the Heat. In terms of the Heat issues, every team has injury issues. I can make the excuse that the Knicks lost to the Pacers because Chandler had a bad neck/strep throat, Melo played with a tear in his shoulder, JR was hurt, Felton didn't play as he had all season etc etc. If the Heat don't pull off that game 1 win, which was more a mistake on Indiana's part, they'd be on the beach right now.

Assuming no big changes to rosters, I think the Bulls, Pacers and Knicks are better than the Heat next year, not so much in record but in head to head. The Bulls have to obviously have Rose come back as before, the Pacers have to integrate Granger back into the team and the Knicks need to get playoff performance from Felton and JR but I think all three of those teams beat the Heat in a playoff series.
post #11977 of 27206

David Stern loves the Heat. We'll see the Spurs-Heat final (though I've been enjoying Indiana's game).

post #11978 of 27206
Thread Starter 
Let's take a quick break from game 7 to commemorate two player who recently retired from their 19 year career, co-rookies of the year in 94-95 season.

Grant Hills is one of the biggest "what ifs" due to the injuries he had, he was the next MJ before Kobe or Lebron and on his best year he was averaging 26/6/5 at 27 years old, not even at his peak yet, before moving to Orlando and getting hurt and he was never the same again.



And Jason Kidd, one of the great passers and PG of the game, second in all time assist & steals and third in 3 pointers. Glad he got his ring before hanging it up.
post #11979 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Every sport article I read prior to the series talked about would the Pacers be able to get a game off the Heat. No one in this thread thought the Pacers could win more than 2 games against the Heat.
I mean, I don't know what you're reading but ESPN has 20 different people listed for predictions. 11 said Heat in 6 games, 5 said Heat in 7, 4 said Heat in 5. None said sweep.
Quote:
In terms of the Heat issues, every team has injury issues. I can make the excuse that the Knicks lost to the Pacers because Chandler had a bad neck/strep throat, Melo played with a tear in his shoulder, JR was hurt, Felton didn't play as he had all season etc etc. If the Heat don't pull off that game 1 win, which was more a mistake on Indiana's part, they'd be on the beach right now.
I'm not saying it's an excuse, I'm just saying that if we're trying to predict for next season, no reason to assume that ALL that bad stuff is going to line up again. Give the Heat any combination of Wade being health, Bosh playing well, their 3 point shooters hitting and they win this series before now. That's not a horrible sign for them next year, and it says there's more to their struggle against Indiana than "they can't beat a big frontcourt."
Quote:
Assuming no big changes to rosters, I think the Bulls, Pacers and Knicks are better than the Heat next year, not so much in record but in head to head. The Bulls have to obviously have Rose come back as before, the Pacers have to integrate Granger back into the team and the Knicks need to get playoff performance from Felton and JR but I think all three of those teams beat the Heat in a playoff series.

You may be the most optimistic Knick's fan on Earth.
post #11980 of 27206
Knicks won't be making it past the 2nd round of the playoffs for a long time.
post #11981 of 27206
Thread Starter 
lol8[1].gif at Bosh always over excited and tough by yelling and screaming and trying to flex when he does something right. Like seriously, wtf? Like that follow up towards the end of game 1, dude was all pumped and shit then you look at the box score and it is his 2nd rebound. lol8[1].gif Dude just made a jump shot right now, Pacers calls time out and dude acts like he just won game 7 with the shot. rotflmao.gif

I get being enthusiastic and pumped up for the game but when you are one of the 3 stars and you haven't done much to help the team win, just relax and let your game speak for you. If he was a bench player getting some shine, I'd give him a pass but dude needs to chill until he actually contribute and be of some relevance to the win.
post #11982 of 27206
Did Shaq just call Chuck a "buttface"?
post #11983 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceBoogie View Post

Knicks won't be making it past the 2nd round of the playoffs for a long time.

You mean like your Heat in 6 prediction against the Pacers/Knicks earlier confused.gif

I know the Knicks are an easy team to hate, and Melo is an easy player to hate but everyone overlooks the fact that Knicks won 54 games last year with Melo hurt for a good number of games, some that he played hurt in, their starting 2 guard and best defensive player not joining the team until February (Shumpert), a new starting point guard, a new starting 2 guard for the first few months of the season, a new back up point guard an almost entirely new bench. Then there is Stat that was playing very well off the bench before he got hurt. With all that, and an awful losing streak towards the end of the season, they still won 54 games. Not sure why I am the most optimistic Knicks fan to think that this same time, with some minor adjustments, could win 60 games next year and best the heat in a series, they beat (blew out) the Heat twice this year (I know, I know, that doesn't count rolleyes.gif)
post #11984 of 27206
Thread Starter 
But they had Lin last year...


jus sayin'
post #11985 of 27206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

I mean, I don't know what you're reading but ESPN has 20 different people listed for predictions. 11 said Heat in 6 games, 5 said Heat in 7, 4 said Heat in 5. None said sweep.
I'm not saying it's an excuse, I'm just saying that if we're trying to predict for next season, no reason to assume that ALL that bad stuff is going to line up again. Give the Heat any combination of Wade being health, Bosh playing well, their 3 point shooters hitting and they win this series before now. That's not a horrible sign for them next year, and it says there's more to their struggle against Indiana than "they can't beat a big frontcourt."
You may be the most optimistic Knick's fan on Earth.

As I said, I read articles, not predictions. Even going by your numbers, 15 out of 20 have the Pacers winning no more than 2 games.

The bolded is kind of like the old, "if the queen had balls, she'd be the king". If Melo was healthy, or JR played like he is capable, or we hit out three point shots....................................
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread