or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread - Page 653

post #9781 of 19224
that's a good topic: which teams have done best at developing talent (rather than acquiring it)? I'd say the Spurs have to be right up there. The Lakes have always traded for proven players and have a long string of letting good'uns slip through their fingers (albeit often in the search of great'uns).
post #9782 of 19224
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

that's a good topic: which teams have done best at developing talent (rather than acquiring it)? I'd say the Spurs have to be right up there. The Lakes have always traded for proven players and have a long string of letting good'uns slip through their fingers (albeit often in the search of great'uns).

Definitely SA, by a mile. Its one thing to get superstar draft picks, but SA has done it with solid middle value picks.

In general, it seems the NBA lacks in this regard. Partly because players all leave after their first contract and join a winning team.

Recent history, it has to be OKC. Memphis maybe? Sixers?
post #9783 of 19224
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

that's a good topic: which teams have done best at developing talent (rather than acquiring it)? I'd say the Spurs have to be right up there. The Lakes have always traded for proven players and have a long string of letting good'uns slip through their fingers (albeit often in the search of great'uns).

I wouldn't say the Spurs are necessarily the best at developing talent, but rather finding talented people in the first place. I'd give the best talent developers to OKC. Not bad what they turned out with their starters.
post #9784 of 19224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Recent history, it has to be OKC. Memphis maybe? Sixers?

Not Memphis, they really only drafted Conley and Pau, everyone else like Gay (drafted by Houston), Zach and Marc are practically trades.
post #9785 of 19224
basketball isn't really a game of developing talent. more like finding it as Rambo has said. it's not like baseball where you find prospects and develop them in your farm system...the truly talented basketball players are all pretty much identified before they graduate high school, and of course the best ones become nba stars as soon as they graduate. what the Spurs have done is find the talent where other teams weren't looking, until other teams wised up and beefed up their international scouting.
post #9786 of 19224
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

basketball isn't really a game of developing talent. more like finding it as Rambo has said. it's not like baseball where you find prospects and develop them in your farm system...the truly talented basketball players are all pretty much identified before they graduate high school, and of course the best ones become nba stars as soon as they graduate. what the Spurs have done is find the talent where other teams weren't looking, until other teams wised up and beefed up their international scouting.

Begrudgingly agree. Wish it wasnt so. Guess the D League is there for that. But B Ball is 10x more physical than bazeball so natural athletes tend to migrate to the top early. The Assn is not a place for late bloomers.

That said, some development happens. What about Minnesota then? Garnett, Rubio, Love, O. J. Mayo, Pekovic.
post #9787 of 19224
too many posts without mentioning the Knicks.

This talk about D'Antoni and Gasol and whether the system will work or not, there are coaches (like players) that flourish on certain teams but do awfully on others. D'Antoni obviously flopped with the Knicks and he is not doing to well right now in LA. I am not a fan of getting players to adjust to a system that doesn't play to their strengths (and in this case its arguable whether it plays to any of LA's strengths). When you look at guys like Chuck Daly and Pat Riley, they adjusted their coaching to the talent they had on hand. When Riley was in LA, he obviously had a lot of talent and his style of coaching reflected that. When he came to NY, he took a team with one legitimate star (Ewing), a CBA cast-off (Starks), a guy who I think was playing on the Rikers Island basketball team (Mason) and a power forward with no offensive game (Oakley) and he developed a game plan around them, not have them adjust to a showtime style of play. Infinite pick and rolls and post ups. Walk the ball up. Shut down defense.

I think that is where a lot of coaches/teams fail. You need to be able to work with what you have and recognize the teams strengths and limitations. D'Antoni has never coached a team with dominant post players (and I don't recall Nash playing on a team with them) so here we are. The current Knicks are very much suited to being coached by D'Antoni, I can't wait until Thursday game, I think that will be the real litmus test for the Lakers/D'Antoni. If they win against a less talented and slower team playing the style that D'Antoni is trying to implement, it would be a good first step. If they lose, particularly lose badly, then firing D'Antoni or trading Gasol has to be put on the table.
post #9788 of 19224
Holiday and Turner both had great games. Jrue with a couple clutch jumpers and Evan with some huge boards. If only the Sixers had a frontcourt...
post #9789 of 19224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand View Post

Holiday and Turner both had great games. Jrue with a couple clutch jumpers and Evan with some huge boards. If only the Sixers had a frontcourt...

post #9790 of 19224
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

And that translate to more Lakers discussion, again it is as simple as that and maybe that is the reason you can't understand why Lakers fans like myself, Jet and Foodguy would continually defend (though we do try to be unbiased if possible) and talk about out team.
And you really can't blame the Lakers for continually making a good roster, it's how they win. If you look at it, a lot of teams does it to be successful, Boston with Bird with Parish & McHale, KG, Ray & Pierce and of course the Lakers force of Magic, Kareem & Worthy. For the most part, Shaq & Kobe or Kobe & Pau, no different than MJ and PIppen.
All have to do with coaching too, as you can see with Brooks and OKCs and how he played chess with the Heat and lost while Carlisle won. Kobe & Shaq really wouldn't win w/o Jackson. But at the end, why hate on the team that continually creates good teams when others can do the same but doesn't? I mean did the hornets have to trade Kobe to get Divac? Did Mempis have to trade Pau to get Kawme (though in the end they got Marc which turned out to be a very good center anyways)?

Exactly, laughing over here at the irony.

Btw was ed posting in here before the melo acquisition? I mean regularly, to clarify.
post #9791 of 19224
LOL Bynum. Picture of the season right there. Apparently he's feeling better and could start training sometime around Christmas. I'm not getting my hopes up though and won't be surprised if we never see him play in a Sixers uniform.
post #9792 of 19224
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

too many posts without mentioning the Knicks.
if you like we can talk about how good the Knicks are at finding and developing talent lol8[1].gif
post #9793 of 19224
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

too many posts without mentioning the Knicks.
This talk about D'Antoni and Gasol and whether the system will work or not, there are coaches (like players) that flourish on certain teams but do awfully on others. D'Antoni obviously flopped with the Knicks and he is not doing to well right now in LA. I am not a fan of getting players to adjust to a system that doesn't play to their strengths (and in this case its arguable whether it plays to any of LA's strengths). When you look at guys like Chuck Daly and Pat Riley, they adjusted their coaching to the talent they had on hand. When Riley was in LA, he obviously had a lot of talent and his style of coaching reflected that. When he came to NY, he took a team with one legitimate star (Ewing), a CBA cast-off (Starks), a guy who I think was playing on the Rikers Island basketball team (Mason) and a power forward with no offensive game (Oakley) and he developed a game plan around them, not have them adjust to a showtime style of play. Infinite pick and rolls and post ups. Walk the ball up. Shut down defense.
I think that is where a lot of coaches/teams fail. You need to be able to work with what you have and recognize the teams strengths and limitations. D'Antoni has never coached a team with dominant post players (and I don't recall Nash playing on a team with them) so here we are. The current Knicks are very much suited to being coached by D'Antoni, I can't wait until Thursday game, I think that will be the real litmus test for the Lakers/D'Antoni. If they win against a less talented and slower team playing the style that D'Antoni is trying to implement, it would be a good first step. If they lose, particularly lose badly, then firing D'Antoni or trading Gasol has to be put on the table.

(post loaded with LA NY just sayin)

I think what Rick Carlisle did with Dallas a couple of years ago is the epitome of coaching to your strengths. That Dallas team had significantly less talent that the Heat but won convincingly now only thru play but moreso gameplan and execution. That could have been the most impressive finals performance ever if you consider nobody picked them to win anything at the beginning of the season.
post #9794 of 19224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

Exactly, laughing over here at the irony.
Btw was ed posting in here before the melo acquisition? I mean regularly, to clarify.


Nope. I was last a devoted Knick fan when Van Gumby was coaching and Spreewell was the star. The decade of crap, such as "Starbury" and Isaia, that followed was done without me seeing it. When Amare came I was mildly interested. When Melo came I lost the interest. I didn't get back into it until last year. If you are implying that I am jumping on some Melo bandwagon, you must have missed the many anti-Melo posts I've made. This year, so far for the most part, he is playing the best team basketball of his career and I acknowledge it. Also, the rest of the forum has turned into such crap the last 2-3 years that I now find myself posting here and the Food forum more than anywhere else.

BTW, speaking of Melo, while Kobe is a superior player and I would take Gasol over Melo any day, you take Gasol and Kobe out of LA and put Melo and a 3 point shooter in, and they'd have a better record. Kobe is overkill in D'Antoni's system and Gasol is rendered useless.
post #9795 of 19224
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

You really think they are coasting? They look a bit disjointed to me. Really thought J Terry would be a great fit but he hasn't worked out, yet. J Green? B Bass? They are pretty much 11 and 12 if they are on the OKC roster.

fuck yeah the celtics are coasting. the lakers and celtics have been playing the regular season the same way for the last 4 years: play team oriented inspired basketball against shitty teams. Then build up a 10-15pt lead into the 4th... then squander the lead not trying hard and will suck out into a win... or lose and not really care. Its an infuriating type of basketball to follow unless there is a side story/big rivalry going that night.

as for Jeff Green? he's like that weirdo friend who's got some emotional issues. He can be the life of the party or a total wall flower. He will meekly shy away when you're being taunted by some douche looking for a fight or he'll be the guy who goes crazy and curbing a guy's teeth out because he bumped into you accidentally.

terry is fucking hilarious because it seems to have adopted the "meh lets coast until the playoffs" attitude like he was playing with the celtics for the last 4 years. but at least he actually brings more to the table compared to allen (90% FT, 15pts or even more if he gets hot, balls of steel, and better transitional offense).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread