Originally Posted by Rambo
I'm on board. Questions for you guys watching:
1) Is this the team buying into Woodson's system, or just a result of an early season soft schedule?
2) How has the loss of Lin (or gain of losing Lin) affected the team?
3) Is it me, or did Fat Ray Felton just score 25? That party's going to come crashing down shortly.
1. Yes and a bit of the second thing. Philly was two wins, Dallas was one, Orlando was another.
2. It has helped, much to my surprise. Felton is playing great, very aggressive and is in shape (!). It is obvious that he came in wanting to prove the people wrong and forget about Lin. The other plus that he (and the vets like Kidd, Wallace) have bought to the table is that they are not defering to Melo. They are playing their game and Melo is being forced to meld his game with the rest of the team. Playing PF is also helping Melo and the Knicks. He is the team's leading rebounder and scorer. Lin, to me, will still prove to be a very good player but it was obvious he and Melo could not play on the same team.
3. Felton is playing as good as any point guard in the league. He is in shape, he is aggressive and he is taking the ball to the hoop against anyone.
4. The biggest surprise and benefit to the team so far has been the consistency and great play of Smith. Last year he had bursts of great play and bursts of awful play (he admitted that he partied too much last year). So far he is basically this year's Harden, just terrific solid play off the bench and he brings the NY swagger which I am sure everyone hates but I love.
5. Rasheed Wallace has been surprisingly good. He is the only legitimate back to the basket player the Knicks have and he is slowly getiing into game shape and showing signs of old Rasheed. Most teams can't really guard a solid back to the basket guy like him and when he is on the floor, he stretches the defense because of his ability to shoot the three.
6. The defense has been spectacular, as have the turnovers, you have to ALOT of credit to Woodson.
7. All the above being said, there are still issues. They are obviously an old team, so we'll have to see how the 82 game season wears on them. Stoudamire and Shumpert have to be mixed in when they come back, how will that affect the team chemistry and Melo can theoretically go back to being Melo, I don't think it will happen but its possible? Right now though, much to my suprise, they are playing as wel as anyone and are definitely the beasts of the east.
BTW, what is the 7, they are 6-0