or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread - Page 1078

post #16156 of 18213
Ray is playing great this season perhaps their most consistent player after LeBron. Anyway at this point of the season everyone is fatigued, injured, worn down some more than others but i don't think it's that much important to dwell on it. Like you said Spurs are old as dirt but LeBron has been used more so it kind of balances out. It will come down to which team just plays better in this short stretch of games.
post #16157 of 18213
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

but you did the classic idfnl thing and made a blanket statement saying "gatorade is shit" - in reference to your feelings to it being not used for its intended use, but where gatorade would've actually might have been useful to lebron in game one. also you stopped making "heat and lebron/cramp" puns, but by happenstance did create a new pun with possible diarrhea issues with intake of gatorade with "gatorade is shit".

Well, I suppose its not so bad after they removed the brominated vegetable oil.

The Gatorade twitter feed:

@Gatorade
The person cramping wasn't our client. Our athletes can take the heat.
12:22 AM - 6 Jun 2014
post #16158 of 18213
Quote:
Originally Posted by diadem View Post

Kind of off-topic, but this doesn't surprise me at all...

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11036924/former-north-carolina-basketball-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

You know what's annoying about those articles is the pretense that this is somehow unique or limited to UNC. The whole damn system going all the way back to before high-school.
The NCAAP is fucked, soup to nuts.
post #16159 of 18213
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

You know what's annoying about those articles is the pretense that this is somehow unique or limited to UNC. The whole damn system going all the way back to before high-school.
The NCAAP is fucked, soup to nuts.

What? Nobody thinks it's just limited to UNC. That's also a stupid argument. UNC got caught, they should get punished or the system should be done away.
post #16160 of 18213
The university system is basically subjugation. The educations are bogus, it's the only game in town to demonstrate your ability to the NBA so this massive money making machine recruits talent to generate them revenue for free. 99.9% of the kids get tossed off, leaving a handful to reap a reward.

Most of these kids would be better off in a system akin to European club football where smaller leagues are great places for players to develop while they get paid. If they never make it big-time, they at least earned something on the way.

The university system certainly has popularity, so why not leverage it and just do away with the idea of education. Just pay them, and they're not students. Frankly, wouldn't it be cool to have seen Lebron as a HS sophomore (still earning a diploma) play for Ohio St or Durant as a HS junior in the final 4?

Another aspect is Div 2 and div 3 could serve as feeder schools for schools like Duke and UNC, so good prospects from HS play at the college level with a mix of them and older guys, a way higher level of competition than HS can provide, and it develops the kids faster.

Think of a guy like Derek Fisher going back to Arkansas to play a few more years. It could be a great place for aging stars to return to and mentor kids.

For the NBA, there could still be a draft system, but this way a kid that blossoms late can still make a run at the NBA at age 26 rather than be kicked to the curb, this way they're still viable players and not age restricted by the phony education system.
Edited by idfnl - 6/6/14 at 6:45pm
post #16161 of 18213
I have a friend doing his second 100K tomorrow.

(Forgot to quote marathon thread)
post #16162 of 18213
yo fuck the ncaa, but also fuck unc. go to hell carolina go to hell eat shit
post #16163 of 18213
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

The university system is basically subjugation. The educations are bogus, it's the only game in town to demonstrate your ability to the NBA so this massive money making machine recruits talent to generate them revenue for free. 99.9% of the kids get tossed off, leaving a handful to reap a reward.

Most of these kids would be better off in a system akin to European club football where smaller leagues are great places for players to develop while they get paid. If they never make it big-time, they at least earned something on the way.

The university system certainly has popularity, so why not leverage it and just do away with the idea of education. Just pay them, and they're not students. Frankly, wouldn't it be cool to have seen Lebron as a HS sophomore (still earning a diploma) play for Ohio St or Durant as a HS junior in the final 4?

Another aspect is Div 2 and div 3 could serve as feeder schools for schools like Duke and UNC, so good prospects from HS play at the college level with a mix of them and older guys, a way higher level of competition than HS can provide, and it develops the kids faster.

Think of a guy like Derek Fisher going back to Arkansas to play a few more years. It could be a great place for aging stars to return to and mentor kids.

For the NBA, there could still be a draft system, but this way a kid that blossoms late can still make a run at the NBA at age 26 rather than be kicked to the curb, this way they're still viable players and not age restricted by the phony education system.

This is such a fucking dumb idea.
post #16164 of 18213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

This is such a fucking dumb idea.

Instead of acting like a cool kid asshole, why don't you explain why.
post #16165 of 18213
My solution would be just let them get sponsorships if they can get it. Paying them all seems like a pretty bad solution
post #16166 of 18213
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Instead of acting like a cool kid asshole, why don't you explain why.

so the issue is colleges, so you want to create a system that perpetuates the issue?

let athletes enter the nba draft (and nfl draft) at age 18. use the NBA d-league as a farm system similar to baseball. if people choose to attend college, that's fine, but the NCAA shouldn't be used as a training ground for future professional players without compensating them.
post #16167 of 18213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

so the issue is colleges, so you want to create a system that perpetuates the issue?

let athletes enter the nba draft (and nfl draft) at age 18. use the NBA d-league as a farm system similar to baseball. if people choose to attend college, that's fine, but the NCAA shouldn't be used as a training ground for future professional players without compensating them.

in the phillippines, their version of the NCAA tournament is very popular, but they also allow the athletes to play in "semi pro" leagues (often their own college team that's sponsored by a large company) during their semestral breaks and summers. it acts like a D-League to get pro caliber players ready for the 1st division pro league and also develops guys who don't have the academic chops to make it into the elite schools.

So that way the national college "final four" tournament stays "pure" and is still immensely popular (from a national audience, school loyalty, and TV rights/sponsorship/money wise). But players also have the option to earn money playing ball during semestral breaks and summer. The guys who come from affluent families often only play sparingly in the offseason (just to keep up) but often just rest and relax.

think about it? How fucking dumb is it that Jabari parker can't make money signing is own damn name on a piece of paper, or play semi pro to earn scratch while in school. who the fuck do the NCAA think they are? it seems totally un american and anti-freedom to no be able to make money from signing your own damn autographs.

Fucking music majors are allowed to earn money performing the violin or piano on the side or theater majors can act in fucking commercials, TV shows and movies during college, but the NCAA forbids its players to earn money using their vocation. the NCAA sports racket- mongers need to be kicked in the balls 100 times in public - seriously if they have religion and are doing what they are doing in good conscious they will probably should rot in their religion's version of hell.
post #16168 of 18213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

so the issue is colleges, so you want to create a system that perpetuates the issue?

let athletes enter the nba draft (and nfl draft) at age 18. use the NBA d-league as a farm system similar to baseball. if people choose to attend college, that's fine, but the NCAA shouldn't be used as a training ground for future professional players without compensating them.

Right, Teger. The D League that gets like 400 people in the stands during a game and you can never watch on TV? For someone that talks about stupid fucking ideas, you're really stretching an old rubber band here.

Yes, the issue is colleges, and if you try and fight their power you'll likely lose. And you're asking a population of avid fans invested in these schools, that had attended them, to switch allegiances and support the Boise Sharks and Albuquerque Roosters? Good luck.

You need to compromise and accept the university role, let them have their cut because they're a business like any other and will fight to protect their place. But within that you win by also taking advantage of its popularity and pay these guys, and at the same time create a system when a guy is not ready by age 19 he still has a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

So that way the national college "final four" tournament stays "pure" and is still immensely popular (from a national audience, school loyalty, and TV rights/sponsorship/money wise). But players also have the option to earn money playing ball during semestral breaks and summer. The guys who come from affluent families often only play sparingly in the offseason (just to keep up) but often just rest and relax.

think about it? How fucking dumb is it that Jabari parker can't make money signing is own damn name on a piece of paper, or play semi pro to earn scratch while in school. who the fuck do the NCAA think they are? it seems totally un american and anti-freedom to no be able to make money from signing your own damn autographs.

Fucking music majors are allowed to earn money performing the violin or piano on the side or theater majors can act in fucking commercials, TV shows and movies during college, but the NCAA forbids its players to earn money using their vocation. the NCAA sports racket- mongers need to be kicked in the balls 100 times in public - seriously if they have religion and are doing what they are doing in good conscious they will probably should rot in their religion's version of hell.

I'm with a lot of this, but as with professional footballers, there are limits to how many games they can handle in a year before their bodies break down. Also, the summer is weak for sports in general. Lots of players get stress injuries the year after a world cup.

It is fucking dumb, but from another perspective, if you let a guy cash in on autographs, aren't you introducing all kinds of players into the equation that don't have a role? Just pay them, when the school becomes their source of income, they won't need to bother looking elsewhere. And yes, why not sponsorship. In Europe, Nike sponsors 9 year olds. In auto racing, teams like McLaren sponsor kids in carts by forming a driver's academy. Its commonly done.

For a country that pretends to be a capitalist mecca and demonizes the European socialist model, this sure smells like a racquet to me.
post #16169 of 18213
A couple of thousand baseball players might quarrel with your assertion that there are no meaningful sports in the summer.
post #16170 of 18213
Let's go Spurs! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'm a Rockets fan at heart, and I certainly enjoyed them outcompeting them in the mid 90s, but I have to go with the Texas team and, well, I hate the Heat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread