or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread - Page 761

post #11401 of 17719
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

love RFX, but honestly, don't get all the vdn hate. i think 9 out of 10 nba coaches in his situation would do the same thing. chris paul is one of the great closers in the game.

The advanced stat nuts tend to hate on set plays out of time outs anyway. Better numbers for just letting your guys play. If VDN is calling TO and then just letting Paul figure it out, that's bad coaching, but just letting them go after a make is supported by the numbers.
post #11402 of 17719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

The advanced stat nuts tend to hate on set plays out of time outs anyway. Better numbers for just letting your guys play. If VDN is calling TO and then just letting Paul figure it out, that's bad coaching, but just letting them go after a make is supported by the numbers.
That's really interesting. Any links?
post #11403 of 17719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

The advanced stat nuts tend to hate on set plays out of time outs anyway. Better numbers for just letting your guys play. If VDN is calling TO and then just letting Paul figure it out, that's bad coaching, but just letting them go after a make is supported by the numbers.
I'm a bit curious about how the data would be generated for an analysis like that.
post #11404 of 17719
not sure i'd completely buy that. there's a lot that can be done in a huddle besides designing a play: figuring a set, figuring an inbounds so that cp gets the ball despite the double or even triple, catching a blow...mainly i think the role of the head coach in the nba is probably somewhat overblown anyway. except for that damned d'antoni, of course.
post #11405 of 17719
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

Man. What's it take to get some love. Dubs played out of their mind and Curry is the best shooter in the NBA, bar none.

Curry and Barnes were highlight reels last night. The reverse jam by Barnes over AR was incredible. Denver hadn't lost at home since January and haven't lost at home by more than 5 points... until the Dubs dropped 131. Great win.
post #11406 of 17719
Thread Starter 
The thing is, VDN doesn't even make his players run around screens to get open (Caron & Crawford are great at this) or actually just set plays, like after a screen, tell the players to actually move to a spot. There is none of that and really evident by watching the games and I hate it. His rotations are abysmal as well. He is terrible when it comes to match up and leaves his hot players on the bench about half of the time.

Look at Pop coach, he could very well let Parker run around and just play but he doesn't, Duncan and Splitter has their roles on setting screens (not just from the top but in the paint as well), Green & Manu/Lenard are all set outside and where to run to that Parker doesn't even need to look where to pass to know the guy is there. So many sweet 3-point plays set up this way. Suck in the defense and then throw outside or the screener pull away and dump it to him for an easy jam. I see none of these set-ups from VDN. The Clips' half court game is atrocious. Sad part is, VDN used to work for Pop so he should know better. VDN did this with Rose in Chicago too. It's like he just says to his players, set screen and then move away, do not move and let CP3 do everything. That just isn't what a coach is suppose to do, on the last play maybe but for the last 7 minutes of the game? No way. Hate to agree with Barkley but that is certainly the Clips' achilles. Hopefully Billups becomes healthy enough to run some of those plays at the end of the game.

I just see it happening one of these nights, where CP3 can't do it all and blow the whole run, happened with the Spurs last year. CP3 was hurt and just couldn't buy a basket at times.
post #11407 of 17719
Thread Starter 
Warriors definitely deserved props, they were wet last night. And to steal a game in Denver w/o Lee, in a blow out nonetheless, that is insane. Sadly, they'd have to shoot lights out every night to win this series and I am just not sure they can do that. Karl will make adjustments. Still a great win nonetheless.
post #11408 of 17719
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post

Curry and Barnes were highlight reels last night. The reverse jam by Barnes over AR was incredible. Denver hadn't lost at home since January and haven't lost at home by more than 5 points... until the Dubs dropped 131. Great win.

Sooooo good.:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/warriors/harrison-barnes-reverse-jams-over-anthony-randolph
post #11409 of 17719
I don't think the Dubs will have to shoot 65% to win the series. Denver shot well too, 50%, and from players that don't normally shoot the 3 ball well. Denver is getting exposed. If you limit the turnovers and keep them off the boards, they have little half-court offense.
post #11410 of 17719
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post

I don't think the Dubs will have to shoot 65% to win the series. Denver shot well too, 50%, and from players that don't normally shoot the 3 ball well. Denver is getting exposed. If you limit the turnovers and keep them off the boards, they have little half-court offense.

Really not sure about that. They played small ball and kind of got hot and lucky there. Barnes is also very inconsistent, he could easily have a 2 point games the next night.
post #11411 of 17719
yeah, i'm not sure any nba team can count on winning a series if they consistently allow their opponent +115 points a game.
Actually, do we have a stats wonk here? foo.gif it would be interesting to see which championship team allowed the most average points during the playoffs.
post #11412 of 17719
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

yeah, i'm not sure any nba team can count on winning a series if they consistently allow their opponent +115 points a game.
Actually, do we have a stats wonk here? foo.gif it would be interesting to see which championship team allowed the most average points during the playoffs.

As a semi-stats wonk, you would need to adjust the numbers to point per 100 possessions. This corrects for style of play in a particular era vs. another.
post #11413 of 17719
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

That's really interesting. Any links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I'm a bit curious about how the data would be generated for an analysis like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

not sure i'd completely buy that. there's a lot that can be done in a huddle besides designing a play: figuring a set, figuring an inbounds so that cp gets the ball despite the double or even triple, catching a blow...mainly i think the role of the head coach in the nba is probably somewhat overblown anyway. except for that damned d'antoni, of course.

Pretty sure I read it on Grantland at some point. No link though bored.gif
post #11414 of 17719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggskip View Post

As a semi-stats wonk, you would need to adjust the numbers to point per 100 possessions. This corrects for style of play in a particular era vs. another.
i don't think you would in this case ... i'm just curious about what's the most porous defense to ever win a championship. you'd need to average per game, but not per 100 possessions, I don't think.
post #11415 of 17719
Thread Starter 
That stat might be in this link towards the end but can only be accessed if you have an insider account: http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2012/story/_/page/Finalists1-10/ranking-nba-finals-teams-best-worst
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread