or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread - Page 731

post #10951 of 18017
Thread Starter 
Quote:
1's and 5's seem weak nowadays. Not a slight on Parker, mind you.


1's? PG? Weak? What????

League is loaded with good to great PGs. It's probably the most loaded position in the league right now. CP3, Dwill, Parker, Irving, Wall, Jennings, Rose, Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Lawson, Teague, Rubio, Dragic, Walker, Calderon, Lowry, Conley, Gervais, Lillard, Holiday, Rondo.

This is just on the top of my head.

I'd even include future HoFers that isn't in their prime anymore but are still playing in Nash and Kidd.
post #10952 of 18017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

1's? PG? Weak? What????

League is loaded with good to great PGs. It's probably the most loaded position in the league right now. CP3, Dwill, Parker, Irving, Wall, Jennings, Rose, Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Lawson, Teague, Rubio, Dragic, Walker, Calderon, Lowry, Conley, Gervais, Lillard, Holiday, Rondo.

This is just on the top of my head.

I'd even include future HoFers that isn't in their prime anymore but are still playing in Nash and Kidd.


Bam. There you go. How many of these guys are pure PG, ala Stockton? Not many. It seems the 1 is becoming a passing 2. The pure PG seems to be disappearing.


Side note: this Harkless kid in Orlando can play.
post #10953 of 18017
League leaders in assists this year:

Assists
1. Greivis Vasquez-NOH 555
2. Chris Paul-LAC 453
3. Russell Westbrook-OKC 450
4. Jrue Holiday-PHI 447
5. Deron Williams-BRK 421
6. Rajon Rondo-BOS 420
7. Jose Calderon-TOT 419
Tony Parker-SAS 419
9. Ty Lawson-DEN 411
10. Jeff Teague-ATL 402
11. LeBron James-MIA 399
12. Goran Dragic-PHO 392
13. Damian Lillard-POR 366
Jeremy Lin-HOU 366
15. Stephen Curry-GSW 353
16. Brandon Jennings-MIL 344
17. Andre Miller-DEN 343
18. Kobe Bryant-LAL 332
19. Monta Ellis-MIL 325
20. James Harden-HOU 323
post #10954 of 18017
btw - if you haven't checked it out, the new stats database at NBA.com is fantastic. just a wealth of information.
post #10955 of 18017
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Bam. There you go. How many of these guys are pure PG, ala Stockton? Not many. It seems the 1 is becoming a passing 2. The pure PG seems to be disappearing.

I think there's a lot of truth to that, but it's an entirely different point. The assertion was that the talent pool at the position is weak. Magic Johnson wasn't a "pure PG ala Stockton". Doesn't mean the showtime Lakers were weak at the 1-spot. I think that as players have become more athletic (there likely are other factors as well) the roles of all of the "traditional" positions have become more fluid.
post #10956 of 18017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I think there's a lot of truth to that, but it's an entirely different point. The assertion was that the talent pool at the position is weak. Magic Johnson wasn't a "pure PG ala Stockton". Doesn't mean the showtime Lakers were weak at the 1-spot. I think that as players have become more athletic (there likely are other factors as well) the roles of all of the "traditional" positions have become more fluid.

I respect your point, but Magic was a superb passer. In fact, LeBron is a better "PG" than many of those guys listed by Rambo.

Agreed, the fluid part has influenced the edges, aka the 1 and the 5. Take a guy like Steph Curry and Westbrook, what talent, but that's not a Jason Kidd type PG in their prime. In fact, if we're arguing purism, Andre Miller is one of the best in the league. The modern PG really needs to be able to shoot the 3 beyond distribution duties. Chris Paul does the best job of mixing the roles.

In summary, there is tons of talent but most of these guys are not really point guards.
post #10957 of 18017

Aaron brooks, welcome back to Houston? 

post #10958 of 18017
In assists per game 6th
Scoring 5th
FG% 1st
FT% .827

From the article;

He is the only player in the NBA averaging at least 20 points and seven assists while shooting better than 50 percent from the field and 80 percent from the free-throw line. Hall of Famer Larry Bird is the only player to do that for an entire season, accomplishing the feat with the 1986-87 Boston Celtics.
post #10959 of 18017
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Bam. There you go. How many of these guys are pure PG, ala Stockton? Not many. It seems the 1 is becoming a passing 2. The pure PG seems to be disappearing.


Side note: this Harkless kid in Orlando can play.

You never said shit about being a "real" PG. I am the one person here who got chastised for saying Magic isn't a real PG, the Stockton, Payton type. But just because these PGs score more than usual doesn't make them any less of a PG position-wise. You said the "1" position is weak, not that there are not many "traditional" PGs out there. These are PGs and don't even try to back pedal out of this one. These are PGs and a bunch of plenty talented one at that.
post #10960 of 18017
Thread Starter 
You jinxed him Steve...
Quote:
Tony Parker sprained his left ankle on Friday and could be out "a while," according to coach Gregg Popovich.

We're buying what Pop is selling here and Parker had to be carried off the court. There's no way the Spurs would put their star point guard back on the floor at anything less than 100 percent, especially after Manu Ginobili suffered an aggravation to his hamstring earlier in 2013. Parker finished with 13 points and seven assists in 25 minutes Friday. It'l be a team effort to replace him and guys like Nando De Colo, Gary Neal and Patty Mills will all help fill the void.
post #10961 of 18017
damn son
post #10962 of 18017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

You never said shit about being a "real" PG. I am the one person here who got chastised for saying Magic isn't a real PG, the Stockton, Payton type. But just because these PGs score more than usual doesn't make them any less of a PG position-wise. You said the "1" position is weak, not that there are not many "traditional" PGs out there. These are PGs and don't even try to back pedal out of this one. These are PGs and a bunch of plenty talented one at that.


You prly know what I meant, but yeah, the position has changed and it seems that if you dont score from the 1 you're not in the 'best' conversation anymore.

So, I get why, but I do miss the Stockton type player. We don't have many left now. It's weak in terms of traditional PG skills. Ya, if you want a PG that can pick and roll and hit a 3, sure we have them but if you wan't Stockton ala dream team then forget it. Rubio is a good echo of the traditional role but he's still a ways off.

Magic is much more of a real PG than most players today are.
post #10963 of 18017

As a Wizards fan, I'm happy to see Wall still makes an on the fly list. As a Wizards fan, I'm not sure he belongs on it. I hope he's hiding an injury or something. And for the love of God please develop a three point shot. It's just painful seeing him stand outside the arc with a mile of court in front of him every time. 

 

I've been feeling it somewhat lately, but the game vs the Pistons was the first real time where I wish Wall was just left on the bench and it made me sad. At least Beal looks good.

 

Edit: Just a thought, is there any other PG that can't hit a 3? I don't think so... kills me.

post #10964 of 18017
^ I really would have liked to see Nene on the court tonight. Great game. Unfortunate that the Wizards started falling apart in the last quarter after a great third.
post #10965 of 18017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

In assists per game 6th
Scoring 5th
FG% 1st
FT% .827

From the article;

He is the only player in the NBA averaging at least 20 points and seven assists while shooting better than 50 percent from the field and 80 percent from the free-throw line. Hall of Famer Larry Bird is the only player to do that for an entire season, accomplishing the feat with the 1986-87 Boston Celtics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

You jinxed him Steve...

Yep...

Has he been on the cover of Sports Illustrated lately?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread