or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread - Page 735

post #11011 of 14565
he shoulda just not jumped
post #11012 of 14565
Thread Starter 
What's the excuse for Knights ankle breaking?
kyrie-irving-sick-crossover1-2-15-13.gif
post #11013 of 14565
^^ Don't distract from the unconsciousness of that dunk. That shit will make plays of the week and Shaqtin' a fool at the same time.
post #11014 of 14565
Spurs beat OKC w/o Parker.

Kawhi Leonard holds Durant to 26.
post #11015 of 14565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

Backward culture makes punch line of Brandon Knight for trying to stop DeAndre Jordan's dunk

thats the problem with the NBA now (and hopefully the European players will save us from our own stupidity), its all about dunks and 3's, don't play any D, and when was the last time someone was described as a good mid range shooter? This is what Stern has been molding the league into for the last 20 years, it started around the time Jordan really took off in Chicago. Its a smart marketing move, people love to see high flying dunks and 120 point games but the players have less fundamental skills than ever and defense has taken a back seat. The funny thing is, most of these kids look up to Jordan and want to play like him but they only look at his highlight dunks, no one says "I want to be as a good a defensive player as Jordan" or "I want to make my teammates better like jordan" or develop that midrange game that Jordan had. Its all about dunks over people and yeah, you are not supposed to do what you get paid to do and try to block it, because then you'll just be ridiculed confused.gif

Lebron and Kobe, to me, are the closest that we have to Jordan today but I agree with MJ when he says that LJ would not be as good as he is today if he played in the 80's-90's. I think he stands out so much because everyone else is so fundamentally deficient. How many jams does LJ get just outrunning guys that are coasting back on D? When was the last time you saw a defender forcing a right handed dribbler left? Teams no longer have enforcers, I would love to see these guys today try and pull this embarassing dunk shit on Laimbeer/Thorpe/Mourning/Rodman/McHale etc. That Knight is being ridiculed is sad for the game.
post #11016 of 14565
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

thats the problem with the NBA now (and hopefully the European players will save us from our own stupidity), its all about dunks and 3's, don't play any D, and when was the last time someone was described as a good mid range shooter? This is what Stern has been molding the league into for the last 20 years, it started around the time Jordan really took off in Chicago. Its a smart marketing move, people love to see high flying dunks and 120 point games but the players have less fundamental skills than ever and defense has taken a back seat. The funny thing is, most of these kids look up to Jordan and want to play like him but they only look at his highlight dunks, no one says "I want to be as a good a defensive player as Jordan" or "I want to make my teammates better like jordan" or develop that midrange game that Jordan had. Its all about dunks over people and yeah, you are not supposed to do what you get paid to do and try to block it, because then you'll just be ridiculed confused.gif

Lebron and Kobe, to me, are the closest that we have to Jordan today but I agree with MJ when he says that LJ would not be as good as he is today if he played in the 80's-90's. I think he stands out so much because everyone else is so fundamentally deficient. How many jams does LJ get just outrunning guys that are coasting back on D? When was the last time you saw a defender forcing a right handed dribbler left? Teams no longer have enforcers, I would love to see these guys today try and pull this embarassing dunk shit on Laimbeer/Thorpe/Mourning/Rodman/McHale Mahorn etc. That Knight is being ridiculed is sad for the game.
FTFY. Mahorn scared the hell out of me, and I was just watching him on TV.
post #11017 of 14565
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

thats the problem with the NBA now (and hopefully the European players will save us from our own stupidity), its all about dunks and 3's, don't play any D, and when was the last time someone was described as a good mid range shooter? This is what Stern has been molding the league into for the last 20 years, it started around the time Jordan really took off in Chicago. Its a smart marketing move, people love to see high flying dunks and 120 point games but the players have less fundamental skills than ever and defense has taken a back seat. The funny thing is, most of these kids look up to Jordan and want to play like him but they only look at his highlight dunks, no one says "I want to be as a good a defensive player as Jordan" or "I want to make my teammates better like jordan" or develop that midrange game that Jordan had. Its all about dunks over people and yeah, you are not supposed to do what you get paid to do and try to block it, because then you'll just be ridiculed confused.gif

Lebron and Kobe, to me, are the closest that we have to Jordan today but I agree with MJ when he says that LJ would not be as good as he is today if he played in the 80's-90's. I think he stands out so much because everyone else is so fundamentally deficient. How many jams does LJ get just outrunning guys that are coasting back on D? When was the last time you saw a defender forcing a right handed dribbler left? Teams no longer have enforcers, I would love to see these guys today try and pull this embarassing dunk shit on Laimbeer/Thorpe/Mourning/Rodman/McHale etc. That Knight is being ridiculed is sad for the game.

thats the whole reason Vince Carter didn't really pan out... he was born in the wrong era.... he got put on his back a couple times for going for dunks and subsequently turned into a jump shooter.

even charles barkley was a high flying guy who loved to dunk in traffic, but he had to go through the bucks/pistons/celtics physical front lines and learned to pick and choose when to do that.

guys like james worthy had just as much ups/athleticism but when he dunked he did it quick and sweet so as not to show up the defense and be retaliated on. its kind of like how MLB home run hitters used to hit their home run keep their head down and run fast around the bases... because if they'd be beaned in the head at their next at bat if they celebrated.
post #11018 of 14565
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

Teams no longer have enforcers, I would love to see these guys today try and pull this embarassing dunk shit on Laimbeer/Thorpe/Mourning/Rodman/McHale etc.

And not to condone their despicable actions at times but that's probably one of the reasons I enjoy watching Artest/Ibaka play is because you know they'll explode at the littlest thing.
post #11019 of 14565
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

FTFY. Mahorn scared the hell out of me, and I was just watching him on TV.

Those Pistons teams were so physical, so dirty and yet so good (and well coached). I hate to say this, but Isaiah was incredible on those teams. Dumars/Laimbeer/Mahorn/Dantley/Rodman/M. Aguire/the "microwave", those were tough SOB's. Who was the bushy moustache center they had? When you think about what Jordan had to go through to beat those guys, it really puts his skills in perspective.

I think Kobe is a guy that would be succesful in any era, he adapts his game to the situation as well as anyone. Lebron is as talented as anyone who has ever played the game, is a physical specimen but I wonder how he would adapt his game to a very physical 80's-90's team playing him.
post #11020 of 14565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

And not to condone their despicable actions at times but that's probably one of the reasons I enjoy watching Artest/Ibaka play is because you know they'll explode at the littlest thing.

Funny thing about Artest is that I never thought he would make it in the NBA and don't recall him being this physical at St. Johns. And I'm not condoning hurting people, its just this "posterization" culture that had permeated where guys don't even want to try and block a dunk. Back then, you would probably get your dunk, but you'd have 250-500 pounds of defenders putting their weight on you and wearing you down.
post #11021 of 14565
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

thats the problem with the NBA now (and hopefully the European players will save us from our own stupidity), its all about dunks and 3's, don't play any D

Wait a second, since when did we consider European players to toughen up the NBA on D and shoot less 3's? happy.gif

The amount of players that put no effort into D is lame. I think Knight was more trying to break up the lob than block Jordan, and it was a good effort.
post #11022 of 14565
I dont think the defending in the league is that big of a shambles. I thought it was worse when all the high schoolers were entering the league.

Spurs, Celtics, Bulls, Heat, OKC, Knicks (occasionally), Grizzlies, even the Wizards play some decent D. There are teams that are downright swiss cheese like the Suns, Lakers, Kings and Raptors but on the whole the youngster's defending is better today than when guys like Kwame Brown were getting drafted.

While I smell the nostalgia, those Pistons/Knicks years were some grindingly bad basketball to watch. Enforcers are fine, but the league doesn't want them and flagrants would eliminate their value.

I don't know if its quality and intent as much as rule changes such as hand checking now being a foul. The league wants excitement, but I would agree its gone too far and some games start to look as awful as all star games.
post #11023 of 14565
srs, Orlando? 39 free throws?
post #11024 of 14565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

And not to condone their despicable actions at times but that's probably one of the reasons I enjoy watching Artest/Ibaka play is because you know they'll explode at the littlest thing.

Rasheed Wallace's career brought me much joy for just this reason (although it manifested in a slightly different ways - usually directed at officials rather than other players). Especially since you could reliably count on him to sabotage his own team by losing his cool during crunch time of critical games. He was like the Jordan or Gretsky of his art.
post #11025 of 14565
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Rasheed Wallace's career brought me much joy for just this reason (although it manifested in a slightly different ways - usually directed at officials rather than other players). Especially since you could reliably count on him to sabotage his own team by losing his cool during crunch time of critical games. He was like the Jordan or Gretsky of his art.

Ya, Rasheed was a funny guy. In Portland he was really a sight to see. He cooled off by the time he made it to Boston.

Speaking of Wallace's, Ben Wallace was one of my favorite players ever. Remeber the ferocious push he gave Artest during that huge palace brawl? Man, the way Artest's body reacted, Artest wanted none of him as soon as he felt that push. Just watch the impact of that push closely:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread