or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread - Page 702

post #10516 of 14409
Thread Starter 
post #10517 of 14409
lol8[1].gif
post #10518 of 14409
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

well, as someone who works with a LOT of drama queens, there's a difference between someone deliberately stirring the pot to mix things up, and someone who ends up mixing things up by avoiding stirring the pot. the end result is the same, but it's a different motivation. that's all i was trying to say.

This may be the case, but Howard needs to man up and have a frank discussion with Kobe about how to turn the team around. The team's record is their responsibility, as the two best players.

I disagree with the article FG posted. I think that Nash is good enough, and smart enough, to find a role for himself in almost any offense. Would he be playing MVP-level ball? No, those days are behind him, but he can still be an effective set-up man for Kobe, Howard, and Gasol in virtually any type of offense. Basketball isn't that complicated for a guy like Nash. The problem is a lack of communication between Kobe and Dwight, and perhaps the rest of the team as well. I really thought the Lakers just needed time to sort all this out, but it's looking less likely with every passing game.

Although I'm not a Lakers fan, I AM a basketball fan and to see such talent going to waste is a sad thing to watch.
post #10519 of 14409
games like last nights Celtics vs Knicks are when I start to believe the NBA really is fixing games.

- Marv Albert openly complained about crowd noise being channelled through the speakers of the stadium even boos.
- i think they channeled the noise in to actually stifle any type of vicious organized chants towards Carmelo
- its obvious there was a crack down on any "honey nut cheerios" types of chants, signs, or anything by security too.
- both teams were weirdly non physical or anything. they clearly were warned before the game not to start anything .
-Joe Crawford, Dick Bavetta, Marat Kogut refereed the game. Dick Bavetta is the usual ref called in to ref games where the higher ups want the game manipulated.
- its like the kept the game purposely close to avoid any type of ruckus from the crowd or players. One team would go on a run then the refs would start calling fouls to let the other team catch up.

I really hope when the new commissioner takes over he lets the game play out like it should. Maybe they'll start curtailing the superstar calls and open biases w/ refs and teams (like Crawford and the Spurs or Kennedy with the Celtics). I really hate to think I've been duped into watching a glorified form of professional wrestling.
post #10520 of 14409
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post


want the game manipulated.

- its like the kept the game purposely close to avoid any type of ruckus from the crowd or players. One team would go on a run then the refs would start calling fouls to let the other team catch up.

I really hope when the new commissioner takes over he lets the game play out like it should. Maybe they'll start curtailing the superstar calls and open biases w/ refs and teams (like Crawford and the Spurs or Kennedy with the Celtics). I really hate to think I've been duped into watching a glorified form of professional wrestling.
Quote:
Raja Bell, formerly of the Phoenix Suns and now a member of the Charlotte Bobcats, was one of those players. A defensive specialist throughout his career, Bell had a reputation for being a "star stopper." His defensive skills were so razor sharp that he could shut down a superstar, or at least make him work for his points.

This is spot fucking on. Bell was a brilliant defender. He was on the 2001 76ers team that went to the finals. Next season he left. Iverson never saw those last 7 games again.

Who was on the Suns teams that had near misses? Raja Bell. He got fucked over by the league, deserves so much more credit than he has.





Quote:
If Kobe Bryant had two fouls in the first or second quarter and went to the bench, one referee would tell the other two, "Kobe's got two fouls. Let's make sure that if we call a foul on him, it's an obvious foul, because otherwise he's gonna go back to the bench. If he is involved in a play where a foul is called, give the foul to another player."

Similarly, when games got physically rough, we would huddle up and agree to tighten the game up. So we started calling fouls on guys who didn't really matter — "ticky-tack" or "touch" fouls where one player just touched another but didn't really impede his progress. Under regular circumstances these wouldn't be fouls, but after a skirmish we wanted to regain control. We would never call these types of fouls on superstars, just on the average players who didn't have star status. It was important to keep the stars on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Lebron James: yesterday was his 1st foul in 254 minutes.

NBA refereeing is so fucked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

In other news, kinda surprised this didnt get any traction:
What player nominated for def player of the year has ever gone 6 1/2 entire NBA games without a foul?

plain.gif
post #10521 of 14409
A strange bird is the pelican
His beak can hold more than his belly can
But I don't see how the Hell he can
post #10522 of 14409
Superstars will always get the calls because that's who people pay to see. If you want pure team basketball you gotta watch college. They seem to be cracking down on fast break traveling at least.
post #10523 of 14409
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post

This may be the case, but Howard needs to man up and have a frank discussion with Kobe about how to turn the team around. The team's record is their responsibility, as the two best players.
agree absolutely
Quote:
I disagree with the article FG posted. I think that Nash is good enough, and smart enough, to find a role for himself in almost any offense. Would he be playing MVP-level ball? No, those days are behind him, but he can still be an effective set-up man for Kobe, Howard, and Gasol in virtually any type of offense. Basketball isn't that complicated for a guy like Nash. The problem is a lack of communication between Kobe and Dwight, and perhaps the rest of the team as well. I really thought the Lakers just needed time to sort all this out, but it's looking less likely with every passing game.
this was not my reading of the article. my impression was that the author was saying that jimmy buss had bought into the d'antoni system and using nash to run it. i think nash is an amazing, smart player and i have no doubt he could adapt to any system he is thrown into. but I don't think there's any way we're going to see the steve nash of five years ago. d'antoni may think he's adapted his system to the new personnel -- and they're certainly not running the 7 second offense -- but i don't think he's gone far enough. honestly, i think bickerstaff had the right idea -- you've got four of the most talented players in the game (and a fifth, metta, who is having his best season in many years). run the basic sets and let the talent shine through. the spread offense d'antoni wants to run would be perfect for a team with 2005 steve nash and a lot of athletic kids, enough of whom can hit 3s when offered. that's not the team he has today.
post #10524 of 14409
The Lake-Show was short bussed. He once said any drunk in a bar can as well as any scout. Then to prove his point he fired the scouting staff and hired a drunk from a bar to replace them. Dude is a fucking idiot.

Imagine if he actually listened to basketball people, Rick Adleman would be coaching this team right now.
post #10525 of 14409
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post

better caption?
"What do you say we leave at halftime?"
post #10526 of 14409
Another thing about that Dougherty article above are those 2 series mentioned at the end. I believe him 100%.

The Kings had that series won and the league wanted the Lakers in the finals.

The Trailblazers also had LA beat in that series and the refs destabilized the Trailblazers into folding when leading big. Look at the # of FT's in those games. I just know those players knew it, I mean Pippen was on that team... he understood what was going on because he was on the winning side of that favoritism.

Anyone who think the refs can't guarantee a winner is deluded. Just look at FT% vs FG% and accumulate the points. Even 20 or 30 point deficits are not insurmountable.

Very interesting how the league provides the refs guidance on things to look for. That's the code for let X or Y win. Wish that book would get published, I'd love to read it.

You watch this season: league wants a Durant Lebron rematch... you'll see what happens to the Clippers.
post #10527 of 14409
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Another thing about that Dougherty article above are those 2 series mentioned at the end. I believe him 100%.

The Kings had that series won and the league wanted the Lakers in the finals.

The Trailblazers also had LA beat in that series and the refs destabilized the Trailblazers into folding when leading big. Look at the # of FT's in those games. I just know those players knew it, I mean Pippen was on that team... he understood what was going on because he was on the winning side of that favoritism.

Anyone who think the refs can't guarantee a winner is deluded. Just look at FT% vs FG% and accumulate the points. Even 20 or 30 point deficits are not insurmountable.

Very interesting how the league provides the refs guidance on things to look for. That's the code for let X or Y win. Wish that book would get published, I'd love to read it.

You watch this season: league wants a Durant Lebron rematch... you'll see what happens to the Clippers.
have you checked out CE? I think you, crane, furo and meister would be a match made in heaven.
post #10528 of 14409
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

have you checked out CE? I think you, crane, furo and meister would be a match made in heaven.

That's hilarious on more levels than you can know lol8[1].gif
post #10529 of 14409
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

That's hilarious on more levels than you can know lol8[1].gif
yeah, i know. the ignore list is strong in this one, huh? at least you chose the right ones!
post #10530 of 14409
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

yeah, i know. the ignore list is strong in this one, huh? at least you chose the right ones!


Oh fuck ya. I could name a few more of those trolls. And on queue: someone thumbed up your post. Golly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread