• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riding a bike while wearing a business suit...

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious perils associated with sweat, can this be done? Will trousers get chewed-up from the saddle? Is any other part of the suit going to be subject to un-due wear or strain? My boss is considering this and I want to hear if it'll work from someone that has actually done it.

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
Lots of people do it. I'm sure the saddle is rough on your pants, but overall I wouldn't want to do this with anything I'm not willing to see ruined.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't bike in your suit unless you are ready to let it go without any regrets.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done it. (In fact old dress pants are where I get my bicycling shorts.) Usually left the coat, shirt and tie off (rolled in pannier) and rode in my undershirt. Tuck pant leg into sock. The saddle will not affect the trouser haunch as most of your weight will be on your sacrum and your legs are far enough out from the tongue to rub. (Walking will subject them to more rubbing.)

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't ride a bike wearing a business suit unless you are a model at a photo shoot and posing for a glossy fashhion mag

youngScholar

Reaction score
+1 for taking off the jacket and shirt.

I don't see it working too well in hilly areas where you have to push hard and sweat.

Maybe you could keep a spare suit at work?

Brogued

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
I've done it. (In fact old dress pants are where I get my bicycling shorts.) Usually left the coat, shirt and tie off (rolled in pannier) and rode in my undershirt. Tuck pant leg into sock. The saddle will not affect the trouser haunch as most of your weight will be on your sacrum and your legs are far enough out from the tongue to rub. (Walking will subject them to more rubbing.)

Good advice. I've done it plenty. What is certain is that if you don't tuck or secure your pant leg in some way, you will get bike grease on your cuff.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Sure it's doable, I don't bike in a full suit very often but in wool trousers about 4 days a week year round. IME they wear out faster if they're tighter-fitting. If the thighs are roomy there's not really any unusual wear, though. The main risk is ruining your suit in a wreck.

Being able to button the lapels to cover your chest and neck is very nice on cool mornings, but I don't know if it's easy or worth it to add that functionality to your suits. I have a shooting jacket like that, though - it's great for biking.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Aside from the obvious perils associated with sweat, can this be done? Will trousers get chewed-up from the saddle? Is any other part of the suit going to be subject to un-due wear or strain? My boss is considering this and I want to hear if it'll work from someone that has actually done it.

Don't do it...

You will damage the suit and you will like a prick.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brogued
Good advice. I've done it plenty. What is certain is that if you don't tuck or secure your pant leg in some way, you will get bike grease on your cuff.

Or worse, get the hem caught between the sprocket and chain, which will do a pretty fair number on most any pant.

Brogued

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Or worse, get the hem caught between the sprocket and chain, which will do a pretty fair number on most any pant.

Yep, that too.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Oh, and leather soles + bicycle pedals is not a good combination. I topy any leather-soled boots that I plan to bike in.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paging anybody from Amsterdam...

I watched about a third of the Concertgebouw orchestra cycling to their gig in tie and tail, cello cases strapped to their backs.

smile.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would be really concerned about scuffing up my shoes on the pedals and such. You know those times when you hit your heel on the pedal and it spins around fast and smacks into your shoe? Wouldn't want to be wearing nice leather shoes. Wouldn't want to be seen wearing a suit on a bike with tennis shoes either...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads