or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › every time I buy a suit...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

every time I buy a suit...

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Every time I go to get a suit the sales man hands me a 40 short. I put it on and can barley move in it, it fits way too tight. I put a 42 short on and it feels like a much better fit, allows me to move much better but then the shoulders look big. Anything I can do or should I start doing some shoulder presses? This is a example of my last suit after its been tailored.
post #2 of 18
Go bespoke
post #3 of 18
Go to a different store with a different salesman that sells different brands.

I have similar issues with some brands (40 too small in the shoulders, 42 too big), e.g. Prada, but an Etro 42 for example fits me perfectly.

So try a jacket from a different store/brand/line and it likely won't be made to the exact same specifications as what you've been trying. Keep shopping around and eventually you'll find something that fits you in the shoulders, then get the chest tailored if necessary.
post #4 of 18
Have you figured out what your proper shoulder measurements are for jackets?


Should be somewhere between 19"-21" I'm guessing.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Have you figured out what your proper shoulder measurements are for jackets?


Should be somewhere between 19"-21" I'm guessing.

I believe im 19" but tomorrow ill brake out the tape and double check. I really am odd shaped which doesn't help when buying clothing. My dress shirt is a 17 neck but even in a fitted shirt there is still room for me to gain weight. I guess maybe my best bet is to loose some weight and see if I can start fitting into a 40.
post #6 of 18
I hate to break it to you, but you might be a 41 short.
post #7 of 18
You were correct in obscuring your face
post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE View Post
You were correct in obscuring your face

:-( I guess ill keep trying different cuts until i find something that fits much better.
post #9 of 18
I agree with GoldenTribe -- the trick will be finding a brand that is cut for your particular body style. Every label cuts their jackets differently, so there should be pretty decent variation, even within the same size. OR you could go bespoke.

Where do you live?

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
I believe im 19" but tomorrow ill brake out the tape and double check. I really am odd shaped which doesn't help when buying clothing. My dress shirt is a 17 neck but even in a fitted shirt there is still room for me to gain weight. I guess maybe my best bet is to loose some weight and see if I can start fitting into a 40.

Definitely break out the tape and get the exact measurement down to 0.5" as suit jacket sizes can vary.

E.g. My size, 38, can range from 17-18.5" sometimes and I look for exactly 18".
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbya View Post
I agree with GoldenTribe -- the trick will be finding a brand that is cut for your particular body style. Every label cuts their jackets differently, so there should be pretty decent variation, even within the same size. OR you could go bespoke. Where do you live?
Nj but I feel what I paid for my Calvin Klein would not even be in the same ball park as a bespoke suit. I was reading about the traveling tailor that makes a suit to measure. Any one have any experience there? The biggest problem with every 40s I put on was in the chest, once on my body it almost looked like the material was stretching and not sitting right.
post #12 of 18
Try Brooks Brothers (probably the Madison body), Hickey Freeman, and J. Press. Oh, and when you go in, scope out the oldest looking salesman on the floor, and have him measure you.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Have you figured out what your proper shoulder measurements are for jackets?


Should be somewhere between 19"-21" I'm guessing.

19-21? I am a 40 and my shoulders are 17.25"...
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
19-21? I am a 40 and my shoulders are 17.25"...

That is odd. Guess the potential range is even wider than I imagined.

Typically, I see ~17" in size 36-38.
post #15 of 18
Yeah, I am sort of a 39 chest to be honest, hence the reason for no more off the rack for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › every time I buy a suit...