or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › buying new cookware... all-clad? which line? anyone use it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

buying new cookware... all-clad? which line? anyone use it? - Page 4

post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
Odd...even though the advice is always not to buy a set...that set is almost exactly what I use.

My stuff isn't a set...the 12" fry pan is replaced with cast iron and I think my smaller saucepan is a 1qt but that set is basically exactly what I use to cook with.

Of course you then run into the problem of buying a set if you buy any of that other shit (except for the roasting pan)...those things are all going to overlap a ton and you will have unused pots.

So you think I should hold off on the Le Creuset pieces?
post #47 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
Odd...even though the advice is always not to buy a set...that set is almost exactly what I use. My stuff isn't a set...the 12" fry pan is replaced with cast iron and I think my smaller saucepan is a 1qt but that set is basically exactly what I use to cook with. Of course you then run into the problem of buying a set if you buy any of that other shit (except for the roasting pan)...those things are all going to overlap a ton and you will have unused pots.
I still don't understand why a home cook would need that many pans. Like seriously wtf are you guys doing that you need that many things? You need 4-6 pieces MAX. Saute pan can act as a fry pan Stock pot is a must Le Creuset large dutch oven Le Creuset Oval (if you do a lot of roasts) - the most optional Sauce Pan Good non-stick
post #48 of 80
It's easy, over a long period of time, to collect a bunch of shit.
post #49 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
I still don't understand why a home cook would need that many pans. Like seriously wtf are you guys doing that you need that many things? You need 4-6 pieces MAX. Saute pan can act as a fry pan Stock pot is a must Le Creuset large dutch oven Le Creuset Oval (if you do a lot of roasts) - the most optional Sauce Pan Good non-stick
That set really is only 4-6 pieces (it is 4 pots with lids plus 2 frying pans) My cooking tends to be either just for me (and sometimes one other person) or for a larger group of hungry folk. This sort of explains why I have excess like a large skillet that I use somewhat infrequently or a very small saucepan. I have: -12" cast iron skillet (handling big chunks of meat and/or extra people) -Non-stick frying pan -Stainless saute pan (can be used as a smaller fry pan when I don't want nonstick and don't want the giant cast iron) -stock pot -normal size saucepan (4-qt maybe) -tiny saucepan that gets used for small amounts of things when it is just me eating and I have also found to be very good for reheating stuff (I don't have a microwave) That is basically what is in that set (although god knows I didn't spend $800 buying those 6 pans and I have non-stick options). I would like add a le creuset dutch oven to that list but my stock pot is relatively short and the lid is oven safe so it has worked successfully in a pinch. If I bought the dutch oven, I would maybe move to a 10-12qt stock pot (though I grew up basically using the le crueset for making pasta and stuff...only pulling out the stock pot when both pots were needed at once) I don't really see an item there that I can get rid of. I use them all pretty frequently EDIT: I do have a roasting pan that I use very infrequently that could be gotten rid of if I know I never want to roast a turkey again (I paid about as much for it as one of those disposable ones costs). I also have various baking sheets/pans/etc but I am not counting those with the cooking pots and pans as one does not have to be a baker to be a cook.
post #50 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
It's easy, over a long period of time, to collect a bunch of shit.

The more time that goes by, the more shit I throw/give away.

In a pro kitchen you get used to working with like, one of 3 different kinds of pots/pans

The only thing I have multiples of are knives.
post #51 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
The more time that goes by, the more shit I throw/give away.

In a pro kitchen you get used to working with like, one of 3 different kinds of pots/pans

The only thing I have multiples of are knives.
It's different at home, though. You kind of need big and small saute pans, depending on the number of people you are having for dinner. Same for dutch ovens. I mean, that is if you plan on serving 8 people at the same time rather than seating them at different tables. A lot of other stuff is pretty useless, though.
post #52 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
It's different at home, though. You kind of need big and small saute pans, depending on the number of people you are having for dinner. Same for dutch ovens. I mean, that is if you plan on serving 8 people at the same time rather than seating them at different tables. A lot of other stuff is pretty useless, though.

I have a big dutch oven then a smaller oval one.

I have the smallest lecreuset which I have used as a sauce pan. I own very few items. My home entertaining is almost always family style... funny but every chef I know does the simplest food at one one could imagine. I'll go to some decent amateur cook's place and they're doing shit I never even do for myself.
post #53 of 80
i've got a couple sizes of saucepan (2 and 4 quart), a cast-iron skillet, a saute, 1-2 nonstick skillets, a big le creuset oval (will hold leg of lamb) and a smaller cast-iron dutch oven. combination steamer/pasta pot and a big stockpot. then there's the stuff at the back of the cabinet ... like matt says, you'll pick stuff up as you go along. i'd rather buy fewer, better pieces to start and then augment with more good stuff as you need/want it.
post #54 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post
i've got a couple sizes of saucepan (2 and 4 quart), a cast-iron skillet, a saute, 1-2 nonstick skillets, a big le creuset oval (will hold leg of lamb) and a smaller cast-iron dutch oven. combination steamer/pasta pot and a big stockpot. then there's the stuff at the back of the cabinet ... like matt says, you'll pick stuff up as you go along. i'd rather buy fewer, better pieces to start and then augment with more good stuff as you need/want it.

I almost feel proud for having thrown out my cast iron. I'm like one of those west coast people who "doesn't own a TV."
post #55 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
I have a big dutch oven then a smaller oval one. I have the smallest lecreuset which I have used as a sauce pan. I own very few items. My home entertaining is almost always family style... funny but every chef I know does the simplest food at one one could imagine. I'll go to some decent amateur cook's place and they're doing shit I never even do for myself.
Ya.... I agree with this. Sometimes i'll go to great lengths for myself or if i'm having a girl over, but if it's more than 1 other guest, i'll always prefer something that's easier to cook/serve. Cooking out of the TFL or something is just showing off and you don't get to spend any time enjoying yourself because you have to be in the kitchen the entire time. That said, amateurs don't spend their entire lives in a kitchen. I used to be a huge computer geek. Now that it's a career, I don't touch them much in my spare time.
post #56 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut View Post
+1 on all clad being the best.

+24037598374895734985734 on you NOT buying a set and instead buying individual essential pieces.

actually, the 10 piece set is pretty good and consists of pieces you absolutely will use. it is a good set to start with and then add additional pieces based on what you need.
post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
I almost feel proud for having thrown out my cast iron. I'm like one of those west coast people who "doesn't own a TV."

uh, isn't le creuset cast iron?
post #58 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post
uh, isn't le creuset cast iron?

You're right. The ceramic enamel coating and cooking with a cast iron skillet are identical.
post #59 of 80
Regarding Master-Chef that foodguy mentioned. I have the MC2. My pots are ok, but my saute pan is a mess on the outside. Keeping stainless clean on the outside is a lot easier than brushed aluminum imo. You have to really go at that with barkeepers friend fairly often. I eventually gave up on the saute pan. That said, I've read that the MC2 uses thicker aluminum, and that's why I went with it vs. the stainless. Btw, get AC irregulars here: http://www.cookwarenmore.com/
post #60 of 80
has anyone used The Pampered Chef cookware? thoughts, comments, reviews?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › buying new cookware... all-clad? which line? anyone use it?