• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woody Allen as a style icon

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why isn't he discussed more often? He's one of my favourite dressers, in so far as he manages to wear pretty preppy stuff without looking like a crazed American right-winger/bankster in Maine. But he also doesn't do the stereotypical academic/intellectual look. Well, at least not too much.

23ua9hj.jpg

24zel4o.jpg

30cvqj4.jpg

afivrs.jpg

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good god, he looks like an Open University lecturer.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's the 1965 Jewish Schlub Look.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I have seen him in person he always looks like he went to some effort to look like a slob. That may be so he is less recognized? He is no style icon. He just wore what everyone else was wearing and never changed. Including the fact that most things never fit him very well to begin with.

Sartorial1

Reaction score
He is consistant with his look.
But his look is sloppy.
Comfortable, acceptable (just barely),
but sloppy.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sloppy & slouchy is the look. He even manages to show how perfect fit is not a necessary condition for stylishness. It's a shame that much of SF tends to go for katana-sharp creases and all that.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
in so far as he manages to wear pretty preppy stuff without looking like a crazed American right-winger/bankster in Maine.
You really don't know anything about modern America, do you?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree it's not right to regard him as a style icon. Even in his heyday, when his creepiness was edgy and not made disgusting by reports of his behavior with young relatives, even then he made his living as an underdog and something of an ass. He was remarkable for being small and nervous.

If you like his style, that's good; it's good to know what you like. But he has never been an icon in the sense of the usual leading men who inspire others to emulate them. I mean seriously who grew up wanting to be Woody Allen?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You really don't know anything about modern America, do you?
I only lived there for a year, admittedly. I do realise that 'preppy' is now as mainstream and common as it gets, if that's what you're getting at (though I suspect that you're just annoyed by the leftish snark). But Allen is in his seventies. Incidentally, 'America' is a continent.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I only lived there for a year, admittedly. I do realise that 'preppy' is now as mainstream and common as it gets, if that's what you're getting at (though I suspect that you're just annoyed by the leftish snark). But Allen is in his seventies.

There are not only no right-wingers left in Maine, there are no bankers either.

Also, the number of right-wing bankers nationally I would put at less than 50%. Preppy bankers, less than 5%.

Incidentally, 'America' is a continent.
rolleyes.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are not only no right-wingers left in Maine, there are no bankers either. Also, the number of right-wing bankers nationally I would put at less than 50%. Preppy bankers, less than 5%.
rolleyes.gif

Are you getting all defensive again? Use this next time:
320px-SMirC-rolleyes.svg.png

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are not only no right-wingers left in Maine, there are no bankers either.

Also, the number of right-wing bankers nationally I would put at less than 50%. Preppy bankers, less than 5%.

rolleyes.gif

'Right-wingers' by your standards, perhaps. By the standards of educated cosmopolitan opinion: tons of them. Also note how I said that if someone wears a certain kind of preppy, s/he may end up looking like a bankster. By what kind of non-standard logic does that imply that all or most banksters wear that kind of preppy?

And try rolling your eyes at people from Latin America. Not that you'd realise they are people, but still.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You guys slay me. So you are unaware that "America" is used -- and has been used for centuries -- by hundreds of millions of people every day to refer to the United States? But when I say it, it is suddenly offensive to all of Latin America, which you angrily rise to defend? I hope you'll both be consistent and start policing this usage wherever you see it. Let us know how that goes!

Any weapon at hand boys, any weapon at hand.

And radicaldog, you're usually not this much of an asshole but when you swing low, it's not pretty. (George OTOH is a prick most of the time.) Seriously, you appear to know nothing about the northeast, nothing about American (OMG he did it again!) bankers, and nothing about preppies. The more you post, the more you make that clear.

Not that you'd realise they are people, but still.

You really are a PoS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads