or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Woody Allen as a style icon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woody Allen as a style icon - Page 6

post #76 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
You know, Arctica and Antartica.

"Artica" --
Many natural wonders.
But, not one penguin!

Antartica --
post #77 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Let me take you through it.

1. Mia Farrow and André Previn adopt a seven year old Korean girl named Soon-Yi.



- B

Oh shit...Koreans look like babies up to age 7(?) Remarkable...

Stupidity aside, Woody Allen is my favorite director other than Wes Anderson. Their films make the world a better place. And Woody Allen supports the Manhattan (not Ground Zero) interfaith community center (not a mosque), so I am, by definition, down with the Woodster.
post #78 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Oh shit...Koreans look like babies up to age 7(?) Remarkable...




Pedo Putz has made some good flics...I rank him in the top four of pedophiliac directors.


- B
post #79 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Would is it about Allen's slobbishness that appeals to you?

There is absolutely nothing preppy about how he dresses. In fact, if you correct for his age, he might as well be in crocs and dockers.


- B

Not quite sure what it is. Perhaps some sense of authenticity. And of stubborn, relaxed comfort. Of reasonable indifference to what's around him. Or maybe it's just my affinity with his persona, in which case this threak was pretty worthless even before the whole Manton stink.

Yes, I don't think that the way he dresses is preppy. But a lot of his clothes, taken as single garments, are preppy, or at least preppy-compatible. I'm thinking especially about the way he used to dress forty years ago (can't find good pics, but we've all seen the pics). Tweed coat, chinos, shetland sweater, checked shirt or OCBD, deck shoes: see what I'm getting at?

As for the crocs, I wish most people his age dressed like that.
post #80 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post
In Europe and other parts of the world, many students are taught of six continents, where North and South America are combined to form a single continent of America. Thus, these six continents are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, and Europe.
We were taught six as well.

Africa,
Antartica,
Australia
Eurasia
North America
South America


But what this is telling me,
is that rather than discuss Woody's style,
you would rather argue.
post #81 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post
Manton, if you really thought I meant to call you a Nazi, well, sorry for inadvertently offending you.
Really? Saying that I think all Latin Americans are not human was inadvertent? Were your fingers randomly tapping and just happened to ooze out that sentence?

Keep trying, something will stick eventually.

If you want to apologize, just do so. If you want to be an asshole, just do that. Trying to split the difference isn't working. Or, it just makes you more of the latter.
post #82 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWilliams View Post
Thanks guy's I have rather enjoyed this exchange, in a sort of vicarious way, being too shy myself to jump into the fray. Woody Allen has "branded" a certain persona: frumpy, Jewish, neurotic, and I have usually enjoyed his movies. I don't think I would aspire to his look, but then again there is much casual wear at this site that seems to deviate from well-groomed look. I personally prefer a "Holland and Holland" country look. or I think I saw a recent RLBL posting of preppy attire that I think looked great. It could be that radical dog gravitates to the whole "Woody Allen " persona, since I assume that "Radicaldog" and "Woody Allen" are on the same political page, for example in support of Obama regardless of where he was born, his religion, whom his handlers are, his indifference to the voting rights of White people, his stewardship of the economy to bring down unemployment, or his successes in Afghanistan. This forum is about fashion and I’m not about to use this tread to insert my own political views. I may be a little jealous that my Ex-wife didn’t have a stepdaughter that I could have included as part of my retirement portfolio, but I don’t let that influence my opinion of Allen’s dress. Frankly though, I can’t imagine anyone complementing Woody Allen on his dress, and I kind of think that Woody Allen might take offense to anyone telling him he dresses well. Radicaldog says he is an academic, and there is a tendency to receive approval from other fellow travelers by putting down conservative America, and so in an open forum one might forget that people may have strong opinions in the opposite direction. It would seem from Radicaldogs original post was that his admiration of Woody Allen was that fact that Allen was making a statement that he wasn’t a right-winger or a banker, rather than an appreciation of his clothing. And in the words of that great liberal cause-celebe, Rodney King “Why can’t we all just get along”, and not try to bait others into harsh words.
This tread is moving too fast.
post #83 of 128
Guys,
This is not why -- at long last after years of "watching" -- I signed up to be a member.
Adios from this thread.
post #84 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWilliams View Post
... in support of Obama regardless of where he was born, his religion, whom his handlers are, his indifference to the voting rights of White people, his stewardship of the economy to bring down unemployment, or his successes in Afghanistan. This forum is about fashion and I'm not about to use this tread to insert my own political views.

A bit late for non-insertion, no? Just so we're clear: I think that Obama (like, say, Clinton or Blair) is a right-of-centre-right politician, so certainly not my political cup of tea. But I doubt that there can be any reasonable disagreement as to whether he is a natural born US citizen, or about the other conspiracy theories you allude to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWilliams View Post
... It would seem from Radicaldogs original post was that his admiration of Woody Allen was that fact that Allen was making a statement that he wasn't a right-winger or a banker, rather than an appreciation of his clothing. And in the words of that great liberal cause-celebe, Rodney King "Why can't we all just get along", and not try to bait others into harsh words.

I guess my point was about the way in which he makes that statement, i.e. through clothing. So the post actually was an appreciation of his way of dress.

And I'm all for getting along, especially in a place like this.
post #85 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post
I think that Obama (like, say, Clinton or Blair) is a right-of-centre-right politician

post #86 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Really? Saying that I think all Latin Americans are not human was inadvertent? Were your fingers randomly tapping and just happened to ooze out that sentence?

No. Using a hyperbole that would be taken literally by you was inadvertent. Why do you make me repeat myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Keep trying, something will stick eventually.

If you want to apologize, just do so. If you want to be an asshole, just do that. Trying to split the difference isn't working. Or, it just makes you more of the latter.

I'm beginning to doubt that anything could stick with you. Cue: that's a big, rhetorical understatement (just making sure, y'know). And that's why this grotesque discussion with you is over for me.
post #87 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post
Not quite sure what it is. Perhaps some sense of authenticity. And of stubborn, relaxed comfort. Of reasonable indifference to what's around him. Or maybe it's just my affinity with his persona, in which case this threak was pretty worthless even before the whole Manton stink.

Yes, I don't think that the way he dresses is preppy. But a lot of his clothes, taken as single garments, are preppy, or at least preppy-compatible. I'm thinking especially about the way he used to dress forty years ago (can't find good pics, but we've all seen the pics). Tweed coat, chinos, shetland sweater, checked shirt or OCBD, deck shoes: see what I'm getting at?

As for the crocs, I wish most people his age dressed like that.

You confuse the objects of collegiate dress with the spirit. If you go back forty years ago, you go back to the trailing end of the widespread influence of collegiate style before it retreated back into its persistent niches. That Allen wore that stuff doesn't make him peculiarly notable.

There's a big difference between subversive flair that comes from casual disregard of elements within a theme on one hand and being a plain old slob on the other. Allen is the latter.

He's rich and famous. On occasion, they can clean him up.


- B
post #88 of 128
Right, as I said before, if a leftist calls someone on the right at Nazi, that's just harmless "hyperbole" and if the target objects, that just shows what an asshole he is. But if somone on the right corrects someone on the left on a point of fact, well, that also shows what an asshole he is.

This is true on SF and it's becoming more and more true wherever right and left of middle or above socio-economic status interact. The left feels that everyone on the right is ispo facto evil and anything said or done to them is fair game. If they go too far, well, then brush it off as a joke. Of course this does not work both ways. People on the right have to be extremely careful of what they say lest they be pilloried over bullshit. For example, referring to the USA as "America." I mean, how dare anyone do that.

I've had some run-ins with you along similar lines before. I generally find your clothing-related posts interesting and reasonable. But it's now clear that you are hyperpoliticized, self-righteous, and extremely bitter. And also a total asshole.

You behaved like a prick and you continue to double down, no doubt because you believe that you are virtuous simply because you hold leftist beliefs and I am evil simply because I hold conservative beliefs. In that, you are not the least interesting or reasonable (or unique).
post #89 of 128
For those who want to discuss Woody Allen's style,
I have started a new thread.
It is called Woody Allen Style: Politics & Geography Forbidden.
post #90 of 128
Why do I always have to barge in and lighten the mood? Can't you folks just behave? No? OK...







New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Woody Allen as a style icon