or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Woody Allen as a style icon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woody Allen as a style icon - Page 4

post #46 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
What you said was factually incorrect. If it's important for you to believe faleshoods, then just ignore me.
There are many ways to point out falsehoods. Some of those ways are (unnecessarily) dismissive and condescending. I believe it's true that, like you say, most finance elites are not preppy any more. But if you want to continue this discussion constructively, please don't ignore my replies, which you force me to repeat: - Allen is in his seventies. - "My initial claim, properly understood (remember: this is a clothing forum), is that the use of preppy clothing can create a look that is associated with the traditional image of Eastern WASP elites etc."
post #47 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Right, you say that I think a whole class of people are not human, but that's just fair game. I point out that certain demographic assumptions of yours are out of date and I am a huge asshole.

Being on the left means never having to say you're sorry. Being on the right means that even if you are right about a small point of fact you are Hitler.

I didn't say it was fair game. I said that any reasonable reader of my words would understand that they are a hyperbole:

hyperbole |hīˈpərbəlē|
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.


Moreover, you 'pointed out' those things in an insulting way, hence my piqued response. Being dismissive and condescending out of the blue (as opposed to in response to an offensive remark) is quite asshole-ish in my book.
post #48 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Being on the left means never having to say you're sorry. Being on the right means that even if you are right about a small point of fact you are Hitler.
Good one. Are you writing speeches for Sarah Palin, the Tea Party, and other microcephalic freaks now?
post #49 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post
I didn't say it was fair game. I said that any reasonable reader of my words would understand that they are a hyperbole:

hyperbole |hīˈpərbəlē|
noun
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.


Moreover, you 'pointed out' those things in an insulting way, hence my piqued response. Being dismissive and condescending out of the blue (as opposed to in response to an offensive remark) is quite asshole-ish in my book.

Right, I wonder what would happen if I used some "hyperbole"?

And it sure is passing strange that someone might object to being told that he denied the humanity of a whole class of people! I mean, doesn't anyone have a sense of humor any more?
post #50 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post
Good one. Are you writing speeches for Sarah Palin now?

I love how everyone thinks I am supposed to be ashamed of what I have done in my career. Yes, my career to date sure has been embarassing!
post #51 of 128
I don't know why I am bothering to post this, but RD I've not encountered such personal bitterness on here often. I am sure that my opinion, since I am sure you have lumped me in with the vast microcephalic, vulgar right wing, doesn't matter much, but come on, dude. Usually you are a really interesting poster, too, a dwindling class on SF.
post #52 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I don't know why I am bothering to post this, but RD I've not encountered such personal bitterness on here often. I am sure that my opinion, since I am sure you have lumped me in with the vast microcephalic, vulgar right wing, doesn't matter much, but come on, dude. Usually you are a really interesting poster, too, a dwindling class on SF.
Thank you for your kind words. I haven't lumped you with anyone.* As I said, I admit that I reacted badly, partly because I'm in a bad mood tonight; but I certainly didn't start this, did I? I reckon that makes me sound a bit like a kid in a playground, but there has got to be something to it. I also offered 'peace terms' and I tried to move the discussion back to the substance of the argument rather than to insults. If Manton doesn't cool down I might just have to start to stop replying. * If that's what you mean, I've observed you make some self-serving, ideological remarks on politics and economics. But then again, so do I. (I mean, figuring out the scope for normativity within a broadly realist and critical-theoretic framework is my new obsession, so I don't quite know how big of a problem ideology is for the purposes of constructive political disagreement.)
post #53 of 128
Thread Starter 
Manton, if you really thought I meant to call you a Nazi, well, sorry for inadvertently offending you.

Now, do you want to address my replies to your point about preppy etc.? Do you want to talk about Woody Allen's style? If not, I can't quite see the point of continuing this particular exchange.
post #54 of 128
Whoa!
I thought this was a thread about Woody Allen.

Did I win a "special preview" of Current Events, Power & Money?


____________________________________________________

That is one complicated family.
Allen's son, Ronan, put it well, "He's my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law."

Allen is either incapable of making a commitment to a partner,
or is unwilling to make one.
He seems always waiting for something better to come along.
As Allen, himself, put it, "The heart wants what it wants."

When it comes to previous partners,
some were marriages,
some weren't.

Harlene Rosen (marriage)
Louise Lasser (marriage)
Diane Keaton
Stacey Nelkin
Mia Farrow
Soon-Yi (marriage)

post #55 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post
Manton, if you really thought I meant to call you a Nazi, well, sorry for inadvertently offending you.

Now, do you want to address my replies to your point about preppy etc.? Do you want to talk about Woody Allen's style? If not, I can't quite see the point of continuing this particular exchange.
I don't see him as East Coast Prep at all, though having grown up and lived on the west coast my entire life, I don't know that I know what it is. I see him as typical Liberal Arts Professor style, or at least a carefully constructed caricature of that. I almost like it, but I don't.
post #56 of 128
I don't feel comfortable weighing in on the rest.
But I think Manton is correct in his referene to the United States of America as America.

United States of America
The name is America.
The other words are modifiers;
they refer to the largest of the "administrative divisions" within the country.

United Kingdon of Great Britain
The name is Great Britain.
Again, the other words are modifiers.
post #57 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial1 View Post
I don't feel comfortable weighing in on the rest.
But I think Manton is correct in his referene to the United States of America as America.

United States of America
The name is America.
The other words are modifiers;
they refer to the largest of the "administrative divisions" within the country.

United Kindon of Great Britain
The name is Great Britain.
Again, the other words are modifiers.
Those poor Northern Irish...
post #58 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
Those poor Northern Irish...
The Kingdom ain't too Great for many of them.
post #59 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial1 View Post
Whoa! I thought this was a thread about Woody Allen. Did I win a "special preview" of Current Events, Power & Money?
I did try. Let me try again. How baggy casual shirts can look good (this one may be pushing it a bit though): Knowing when not to be too slouchy (but note the degage notch DJ): Not a great-fitting coat, but a stylish ensemble nonetheless, thanks to the careless use of colour and general relaxed effortlessness: I'm not good at googling though. Can't find the pics I really want, and can't be bothered to capture stills from my DVDs.
post #60 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaldog View Post



I'm not good at googling though. Can't find the pics I really want, and can't be bothered to capture stills from my DVDs.

Good to see him out there dating again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Woody Allen as a style icon