or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What kind of umbrella do you have?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What kind of umbrella do you have? - Page 6

post #76 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar
A product still working properly after 30 years? Do you want to kill capitalism all together? Do you want to starve little children in China? You're lucky now if an umbella is working after a few months/years.....
My umbrella is 70 years old. Planned obsolescence is my mortal and dangerous enemy, despite my habit for odd designer clothing.
post #77 of 131
Anyone have any comments on the quality of these umbrella's?

Swiss Army by Victorinox Automatic Umbrella - $35


Davek SOLO from Davek New York - $95
post #78 of 131
I bought a $16 golf umbrella from safeway. With the tendency of wind here to blow umbrellas inside out if you're not paying attention it's ridiculous to spend more than a disposable price. If you don't actually need an umbrella to cover you when it rains I guess something else might be justified.
post #79 of 131
One reason to buy a more expensive umbrella like a Brigg is that they don't turn inside out.
post #80 of 131
i ordered the travel umbrella as a gift and am thinking about getting an oak for myself later on since they don't have it in size 25 currently.

talked with the lady at classicluggage, wonderful to chat with.
post #81 of 131
pieces of crap that I lose and/or leave places left and right.
post #82 of 131
haha, you could afford to lose a few umbrellas
post #83 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
One reason to buy a more expensive umbrella like a Brigg is that they don't turn inside out.
I don't really buy it, man. If you wanted to stay dry and not have your umbrella flip inside out, get one of those golf umbrellas that actually has holes in it permitting the wind to blow through it without blowing inside out. If you buy a fancy expensive umbrella, it's because you think it looks good. Same reason we wear dress shoes instead of more comfortable sneakers.
post #84 of 131
True, I would be reluctant to use an ugly umbrella based on utility when a more attractive and perfectly serviceable option is available. But for me, utility/comfort is just as important as the looks. It's why I wear rubber soled shoes in bad conditions even though leather soled shoes look better and why I prefer wearing my lesser-quality C&J boots that fit well to sublime yet unbearable EGs. Sports umbrellas are probably better (though still don't feel as solid to me), but I've used my SAB in conditions that have turned out a few umbrellas of mine over the years and it has been fine. I had one umbrella from Loewe that looks at least as good, if not better (different aesthetic), than the SAB, but being somewhat flimsy, was given away.
post #85 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
One reason to buy a more expensive umbrella like a Brigg is that they don't turn inside out.

Any umbrella will turn inside out if the wind blows hard enough. I've been in hard enough winds to slowly blow a 3/4 ton car onto the shoulder of the highway.
post #86 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by masqueofhastur
Any umbrella will turn inside out if the wind blows hard enough.

Obviously. Where do you live? I've been around and can't remember being outside in that sort of wind.
post #87 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopee
Obviously. Where do you live? I've been around and can't remember being outside in that sort of wind.

Vancouver now, rarely happens here because of all the buildings, but when I was living in interior BC it was pretty common, along with enough snowfall that you could walk onto the roof of the house.
post #88 of 131
Always James Smith. Once you've had a stick cut precisely to your height you will never go back. And in the jungle of Manhattan the Smith umbrella seems to win most jostling and jousting.
post #89 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
They have a wide variety of models available. Amazon has this large one, among many others:

http://www.amazon.com/GustBuster-Cla...sporting-goods

I just got the Gustbuster umbrella. Here is my mini-review.

The umbrella feels very sturdy as you can tell by the weight of this thing. I'm going to blame this on Amazon rather than Gustbuster, but there is a scratch mark on that release button. It's not enough to make me want to get an exchange with Amazon since it's only a $30 umbrella. Another minor issue is that the Gustbuster logo is embeeded on that velcro strap. I wouldn't mind the logo if it's in black to match the colour of the canopy. However, it's in green and kind of noticeable now that I know where it is. One final minor complaint is that the canopy doesn't seem to open all the way upon the press of the button to release it. Sometimes I have to push the canopy to lock itself so that it stays open. Other than that I guess I'm happy with the umbrella. I'm not sure whether I got a defective model or not, but I'm definitely not going to give it 10/10. I would say this umbrella is a 7.5/10 at best.
post #90 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
I just got the Gustbuster umbrella. Here is my mini-review.

The umbrella feels very sturdy as you can tell by the weight of this thing. I'm going to blame this on Amazon rather than Gustbuster, but there is a scratch mark on that release button. It's not enough to make me want to get an exchange with Amazon since it's only a $30 umbrella. Another minor issue is that the Gustbuster logo is embeeded on that velcro strap. I wouldn't mind the logo if it's in black to match the colour of the canopy. However, it's in green and kind of noticeable now that I know where it is. One final minor complaint is that the canopy doesn't seem to open all the way upon the press of the button to release it. Sometimes I have to push the canopy to lock itself so that it stays open. Other than that I guess I'm happy with the umbrella. I'm not sure whether I got a defective model or not, but I'm definitely not going to give it 10/10. I would say this umbrella is a 7.5/10 at best.

I recently purchased the exact same umbrella from IGolfstore. I am very impressed with mine, as I can tell it is very sturdy. Mine opens properly and keeps me dry. I didn't like the colorful logo on mine either so I marked over it. It is a great umbrella overall and I would highly recommend it. I also had the Doorman 62" model as well but didn't like it as it was entirely to big. The classic J-handle is much easier to manage and store.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What kind of umbrella do you have?