• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you choose your career again

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hypothetically, if you could turn back time, would you choose your career again knowing what you do now about it?

or for those who cant think hypotheically, would you recomend your son enter the same industry (assuming he had a similar temprement to yourself?) or would you steer him away and towards something else?

In adition, anyone from a highly trained career path completely changed tack midlife?

TGPlastic

Reaction score
I'm a lawyer in private practice with a small firm. I litigate criminal, PI, and some family law. 7+ years deep. If I had it to do over again I'd be a cheese maker, a light carpenter, or a resort bartender. Might also consider US Coast Guard or snowboard instructor. Yes, seriously. Note: the days of wanting your kid to grow up to be a doctor a lawyer or an indian chief are over.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd do it again in a heartbeat. not only that, but I'd love to have one of more of my kids do it

Sartorial1

Reaction score
Yep.
5th generation of a family business.
To my good fortune,
each generation has been an only child.

v.freeman

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind working for the Federal Reserve or the US Treasury or some government job. Too bad the pay is complete ****.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I'd do it again in a heartbeat. not only that, but I'd love to have one of more of my kids do it
Same here. I can't imagine doing anything else.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would not choose this career again.

Milpool

Reaction score
Yes. I would probably try to find an easier path. But overall, yes.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no. Appreciation doesn't really offer the long term financial stability that i thought it would

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
I'm a lawyer in private practice with a small firm. I litigate criminal, PI, and some family law. 7+ years deep. If I had it to do over again I'd be a cheese maker, a light carpenter, or a resort bartender. Might also consider US Coast Guard or snowboard instructor. Yes, seriously. Note: the days of wanting your kid to grow up to be a doctor a lawyer or an indian chief are over.

This seriously made me laugh. I wish my parents could read this.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
laugh.gif

BP348

Reaction score
Yes, but I'd have to really think about the offer I turned down that would have keept me in the same field but down a different track.

If my kids want to do what I do I'd rather they go down that other track.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a lawyer for a not-for-profit. It took me longer to get where I wanted to get, but now that I'm there I'm very happy. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't have the same core belief system. The not-for-profit world trades income for a cause and while fighting my way up to the top of the food chain I made significantly less than my friends who graduated law school with me. Now I just make a 25% less than they do, but I have a much better working envirnoment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads