or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › If I knew when I was 20 what I know now....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If I knew when I was 20 what I know now.... - Page 2

post #16 of 163
Be physically attractive, flamboyant, able to drink, and have a stock list of references that impresses a certain segment of people who are interesting/influential personalities.
post #17 of 163
Change the age to 16 and I'd tell myself "stay the fuck in school you moron", and I'd probably kick my younger self's ass if he didn't listen.
post #18 of 163
If saying short bear stearns or buy apple is cheating isn't saying anything that puts you in a better situation financially, emotionally or physically or whatever cheating? Where do we draw the line?
post #19 of 163
Change your major to something related to Education.
post #20 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
Change your major to something related to Education.

Nah, I'm doing it the hard way and finishing my schooling, it's a waste of 2 years but I don't think I could handle uni without it.
post #21 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
How do you know? You are like 32.

30, fucker. Not that there's a world of difference or anything, but I am clinging desperately to the end of my late 20s and have not fully accepted the start of my 30s.
post #22 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasinoRoyale View Post
If saying short bear stearns or buy apple is cheating isn't saying anything that puts you in a better situation financially, emotionally or physically or whatever cheating? Where do we draw the line?

Kind of agree with you. People who impose rules like "Ok, you can go back in time and talk to your younger self, but you can't cheat!" are like people who complain that a transporter works a certain way in freaking Star Trek. When you're that far gone from reality, does it really even matter?

If I had the ability to go back in time and tell my 20-year-old self something, damned right I'd be giving myself sports outcomes, lottery numbers, stock tips, etc. Biff's strategy from Back to the Future 2 was pretty much the ideal template for time travel.
post #23 of 163
I would have been more open to opportunities I had not previously envisioned.
post #24 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasinoRoyale View Post
If saying short bear stearns or buy apple is cheating isn't saying anything that puts you in a better situation financially, emotionally or physically or whatever cheating? Where do we draw the line?

I think the point of the exclusions was that the OP is looking for advice that's useful for him, or at the very least useful without regard to what year you were 20. Saying "I'd have bought xxxxx stock" does him no good because that's probably not a good play anymore, but saying "I should have put more money into savings" is advice he can follow whether it's 1980 or 2015.
post #25 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard View Post
One piece of advice I'd give my 20-year-old self: bust your ass now, so that the rest of your life only gets easier from here. Having no life and doing nothing but work from 20 to 30 is totally worth having an awesome life from 30 to 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelan View Post
study your ass off in school

-Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_5 View Post
Go to a big name school

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven01 View Post
1) Study hard. I mean really hard.



What?

How about party hard, pick a humanities major at the local community college like Art History, and take time finishing it?

Travel the world and be a Renaissance man?


Isn't youth to be enjoyed instead of slaving away like the rest of the drones?
post #26 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
Isn't youth to be enjoyed instead of slaving away like the rest of the drones?

It's a matter of perspective. You can have both if you do it right.
post #27 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasinoRoyale View Post
If saying short bear stearns or buy apple is cheating isn't saying anything that puts you in a better situation financially, emotionally or physically or whatever cheating? Where do we draw the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard View Post
Kind of agree with you. People who impose rules like "Ok, you can go back in time and talk to your younger self, but you can't cheat!" are like people who complain that a transporter works a certain way in freaking Star Trek. When you're that far gone from reality, does it really even matter?

If I had the ability to go back in time and tell my 20-year-old self something, damned right I'd be giving myself sports outcomes, lottery numbers, stock tips, etc. Biff's strategy from Back to the Future 2 was pretty much the ideal template for time travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
I think the point of the exclusions was that the OP is looking for advice that's useful for him, or at the very least useful without regard to what year you were 20. Saying "I'd have bought xxxxx stock" does him no good because that's probably not a good play anymore, but saying "I should have put more money into savings" is advice he can follow whether it's 1980 or 2015.

Jesus, are you guys serious?

I just wanted to talk about general fucking knowledge and principles without turning it into a back to the future thread. Simple things that you know now that could have made a difference when you were younger. Discussing time travel stock tips wasn't the point obviously.
post #28 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
What?

How about party hard, pick a humanities major at the local community college like Art History, and take time finishing it?

Travel the world and be a Renaissance man?


Isn't youth to be enjoyed instead of slaving away like the rest of the drones?

It definitely is interesting that more than one person mentioned working harder academically. I actually mostly agree, but if anyone wants to explain why they feel that way, go ahead.
post #29 of 163
save some fucking money
DO NOT go cliff diving in summer 02
stay off of styleforum
post #30 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_5 View Post
Go to a big name school

Save as much money as you can

Does not compute. I'm assuming by big name school you mean T1 or T2 (be it undergrad, med, etc. etc.?). If so, unless you come from an extremely well-off family, there's no way in hell you'll be saving anything.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › If I knew when I was 20 what I know now....