• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

critique my resume for m.consulting and ibanking!

joelmthw

Reaction score
recruiting season is upon us at school and im trying to aim for summer 2011 internships in management consulting (mbb, deloitte) and investment banking. i know my chances are pretty slim to none at mbb, but ill take my chances. since there are a ton of professionals on sf, i wanted to reach out to you guys for some feedback on my resume. all criticism is welcome. also note: i have an engineering background so i tried to give it a business spin easy to view resume: http://www.razume.com/documents/16683

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doesn't look too good for those careers. GPA is low-ish (3.3) and zero financial services/consulting experience previously. These places mostly hire from Ivies/MIT/Stanford/Chicago/etc., and even then half the applicants have 4.0s.

You need to add a bullet with relevant coursework (e.g. econ/finances/mgmt courses) if applicable.

What is certificate in finance? CFA? Mention "CFA" if so.

A lot of places ask for SATs. They better be stellar.

Best bet at this point is to talk to career services about companies with ties to GTech that recruit there or have alumni connections in finance. I know a guy who got a job from there with IBM Consulting in NYC, but I have no idea what his resume looked like.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even though he's got no evident finance background, he can still use his previous internships to demonstrate an interest in the tech and healthcare industries, right? Not saying that overcomes the school/GPA barrier (to the degree there is one--I have no idea), but I was under the impression that the lack of financial experience isn't a problem if you've got a good story.

joelmthw

Reaction score
maybe i can shoot for MC after college because highest honors at grad is only 3.55+, im mainly looking at Bain since they recruit at GT for the ATL office and know about our grade deflation so their cutoff is lower, but yeah i know my gpa isnt MC caliber. certificate in finance is like...a minor in finance to an extent, just means I have taken some finance coursework to meet the requirements for the certificate in addition to my BSME.

what i learned from the alumni i reached out to in IB, the biggest barrier for me is school. if i can get an interview, i should be good to go as everything you need to know for a summer analyst position is taught in training and i have basic accounting down. this is coming from ppl at GS and barcap.

what else can I do to boost my chances at MC for full time recruiting next year besides GPA?

thanks so far guys

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your full-tuition scholarship has got to be more important than the bottom of the page, no?

rjacobs

Reaction score
it looks like a resume by someone with an engineering background who is trying to give it a business spin.

in all seriousness, it's fine. don't spend anymore time on it, and go network.

Agnacious

Reaction score
What am I misunderstanding here:

You just started at Samsung 2 weeks ago, you hope to work there until december, helped produce a mechanism for defect reduction and follow this by saying the mechanism is still in use today. So, what, for 2 weeks?

If I was reading, I would toss your resume based on that.

For ib you should talk more about your math specifially, not collaboration and convincing.

I agree that it does look like a tarted up engineering resume. It doesn't really say mc or ib to me.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get in touch with alumni that work in the fields you are interested in. Ask for advice on making the transition to their field. Ask them how they got to where they are. If you're lucky you'd get some good ideas and leads for possible opportunities.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

A lot of places ask for SATs. They better be stellar.

As long as this is being brought up, is a 1440 even close to acceptable?

Night Owl

Reaction score
interests: avid snowboarder, travel in europe and asia, import car and bike enthusiast

you got the motherfuckin job son! can you start tomorrow?!!

Valor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK

English Major working at starbucks?

I kid, but I don't think MC or IB weight too heavily on your SATs.

To OP, your chances are slim (probably zero for anything big in nyc). I don't know a thing about Bain in ATL, but um...if you're not in the top 25% at least in terms of GPA at your school, it's probably a no go.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK

Probably. As long as it's not your math that is a 640.

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
SATs are no longer on a 1600 point system, they changed them to 2000 something....2200 or 2400, not sure.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE
SATs are no longer on a 1600 point system, they changed them to 2000 something....2200 or 2400, not sure.

Yeah, well then you better be getting at least a 2100.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Yeah, well then you better be getting at least a 2100.

2100 flat. 780 english 660 math.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads