or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 mile boots - what do you use
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolverine 1000 mile boots - what do you use

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Ok, got them in brown, love them. Beautiful leather, very comfortable. How best to care for them - mink oil? I am way hesitant to use Obenauf's even though they are a much different leather than my Katahdins. Is there a good shoe polish to recommend? Did anyone have their shoemaker attach a rubber sole to the leather sole? Good idea?

Bob
post #2 of 21
I use shoe cream of the appropriate color occasionally. Then I just use Obenauf's. I was debating having a rubber half sole put over the leather, but I decided that I don't care enough. The leather sole is pretty sturdy. I'll just resole them when they are worn through.
post #3 of 21
Good god, they're brand new boots. Just wear them, and down the road when you think they need some care maybe post the question in the Wolverine 1000 Mile thread?
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin-1 View Post
Good god, they're brand new boots. Just wear them, and down the road when you think they need some care maybe post the question in the Wolverine 1000 Mile thread?

Well, I have worn them a bit and in the city they do get a scraping, soooooooooooooo to take out some of the light scrapes and scuffs, I wanted to take care of it. These won't be my walking/work boot, as I gave the Katadins for the heavy/dirty stuff. I am not gentle on them, but don't want the 1000 mile boots to look beaten down.

Bob
post #5 of 21
They look good a little beaten up.
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm View Post
Ok, got them in brown, love them. Beautiful leather, very comfortable. How best to care for them - mink oil? I am way hesitant to use Obenauf's even though they are a much different leather than my Katahdins. Is there a good shoe polish to recommend? Did anyone have their shoemaker attach a rubber sole to the leather sole? Good idea?

See other thread (you started). Obenauf's won't hurt your 1000 mile boots.

Stick a rubber sole on it if you're going to be doing serious hiking or going in the rain. I went through a phase where I did this for every shoe, but now I'm just letting em go. I don't really push my shoes these days anyways, and it hardly ever rains in socal.
post #7 of 21
Wear your boots like a man. Not wanting to get boots beat up sounds really girly.
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin-1 View Post
They look good a little beaten up.

Agreed!

Bob
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9022 View Post
Wear your boots like a man. Not wanting to get boots beat up sounds really girly.

Dude, I have contructiion boots that I beat the hell out of, doesn't mean I don't have to waterproof them too.
But I will use construction boots for their intended purpose and the 1000 miles for walking and light hikes, so just because I am not using them for yardwork, construction type work, doesn't mean I am going to baby them, and yep, wearing them adds a "character" to them, at $325.00 a pair, I'll do what I can to make them last.

Bob
post #10 of 21
Filson boot oil and Sno seal when it gets shitty out. I am purposely beating the hell out of these boots as a field test. They are a good boot, no doubt, but like any other good boot you have to maintain them. If I did not do my part in cleaning and maintaining these boots they would already be junk.
post #11 of 21
There's nothing girly about maintaining your investment, I use Venetian Shoe Cream, it protects my 1000 miles from shitty Canada weather pretty well
post #12 of 21
I had a question: Is Chelsea leather food good if you don't want the color change much?
post #13 of 21
Bob, how are the 1000 miles holding up? I got a pair last month, and I love them. As a professional shoeshiner with years of experience, I just want to share that any shoe should be polished and protected when they are brand new, before you ever wear them. The first shine is the most important one, for many reasons that I may blog about soon. There is a huge difference between styling the "distressed" look and actually ruining your shoes. It's entirely possible to look "manly" while maintaining your investment. I recently did a blog post about my 1,000 mile boots, and how I care for them, in my new blog wherein I am trying to include all of my shoeshine knowledge. I would say one of the best things you could do for your boots is give them a treatment now and then with a mink oil based product. The chromexcel is indeed oil treated, the only instance in which I would use mink oil. In other applications it can leave a terrible buildup and leave a leather surface sticky and destroyed, but it is just the right thing for any oil treated leathers and particularly on the chromexcel. I have found Saphir Renovateur to be perfect for my boots. I'm sure you have found by now that the boots take on a nice patina and distressed character even with regular care. Best, KeaLani http://www.shineology.blogspot.com
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kealani View Post
Bob, how are the 1000 miles holding up? I got a pair last month, and I love them. As a professional shoeshiner with years of experience, I just want to share that any shoe should be polished and protected when they are brand new, before you ever wear them. The first shine is the most important one, for many reasons that I may blog about soon. There is a huge difference between styling the "distressed" look and actually ruining your shoes. It's entirely possible to look "manly" while maintaining your investment.

I recently did a blog post about my 1,000 mile boots, and how I care for them, in my new blog wherein I am trying to include all of my shoeshine knowledge. I would say one of the best things you could do for your boots is give them a treatment now and then with a mink oil based product. The chromexcel is indeed oil treated, the only instance in which I would use mink oil. In other applications it can leave a terrible buildup and leave a leather surface sticky and destroyed, but it is just the right thing for any oil treated leathers and particularly on the chromexcel. I have found Saphir Renovateur to be perfect for my boots.

I'm sure you have found by now that the boots take on a nice patina and distressed character even with regular care.

Best,

KeaLani

http://www.shineology.blogspot.com

Well, thanks for asking and your blog looks great.
In another post last month I mentioned about my 1000 k's - after treating with 2 different products - Montana Pitch Blend and finally Obenauf's LP, getting soaked after taking a walking in the rain. I was very surprised - especially after reading about how successful were others who had taken similar action. Long story short - Wolverine agreed to exchange them for a new pair that I am expecting next week. I will give what you recommend a try.
However, in the meantime I have decided to get hiking boots for hiking - especially in wet weather or rocky surfaces, my older, USA made Timberland for snow and use the 1000 k's for more leasurely activities - even goin' out to dinner. Nope, won't baby them, but they are way too nice for heavy rain, snow and scuffing the hell out of them on rocky surfaces.

Bob
post #15 of 21
i'm looking to buy a pair of size 9.5 or 10 Wolverine 1000 mile boots in brown or rust for $200ish. please reply if you can help me out. thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wolverine 1000 mile boots - what do you use