or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Made in Italy by Chinese workers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Made in Italy by Chinese workers - Page 4

post #46 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby View Post

That's an Italian restaurant in Japan. </Captain Obvious>
post #47 of 101
i think most importantly is has the made in italy label
post #48 of 101


Welcome to Wisconsin
post #49 of 101
Well, hello everybody, I am new here.
As an italian who loves made in italy things, I couldn't help noticing this thread.
Just wanted to let you know that there are still some good small sized factories where italian people are doing what they have been doing for many years now, making beautiful clothes etc.
I know a few of these, due to my job.
Sadly, this is more the exception than the rule nowadays, and I do think it is a shame.
Big brands would rather be spending big money on promoting their image than investing on the product.
post #50 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER View Post


Welcome to Wisconsin

This is about AE, right?
post #51 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiomassimo View Post
Well, hello everybody, I am new here.
As an italian who loves made in italy things, I couldn't help noticing this thread.
Just wanted to let you know that there are still some good small sized factories where italian people are doing what they have been doing for many years now, making beautiful clothes etc.
I know a few of these, due to my job.
Sadly, this is more the exception than the rule nowadays, and I do think it is a shame.
Big brands would rather be spending big money on promoting their image than investing on the product.

I think you completely missed the point of this thread...
post #52 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiomassimo View Post
Well, hello everybody, I am new here.
As an italian who loves made in italy things, I couldn't help noticing this thread.
Just wanted to let you know that there are still some good small sized factories where italian people are doing what they have been doing for many years now, making beautiful clothes etc.
I know a few of these, due to my job.
Sadly, this is more the exception than the rule nowadays, and I do think it is a shame.
Big brands would rather be spending big money on promoting their image than investing on the product.


Hello Fabio,

Yes, it's true there are plenty small factories still in operation. In fact, so many good are even made in people homes nowadays.

The problem is the big clothing brands that symbolize "made in italy" overseas, they used the small factories to establish their quality in the beginning, but now since they have their enormous marketing budgets to create an image instead of the actual products doing that, they even assist the sweatshops to some extent. In a case I'm thinking of, the brand advised the factory owner he should have "at least one good factory", and if they order more than he can make he can just subcontract the work. Of course, the order are always bigger than his capacity and the subcontracting is done in sweatshops. For the brands its "out of sight, out of mind". When and if some investigation turns up the use of sweatshops, the brand has the excuse that they didn't know where it was being made outside of the one factory.

Aside from the Chinese sweatshops, theres already plenty of clothing made elsewhere in central european countries, imported to add labels, then re-exported. Often times the label/tags are added at bonded customs warehouses doing value added work like adding the tags etc.
post #53 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao1980 View Post
I think you completely missed the point of this thread...

Sorry if I did, I thought this thread was referring to the fact that many made in italy products may be made in Italy, but by immigrants. What was the point of the thread?
post #54 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE View Post
Hello Fabio,

Yes, it's true there are plenty small factories still in operation. In fact, so many good are even made in people homes nowadays.

The problem is the big clothing brands that symbolize "made in italy" overseas, they used the small factories to establish their quality in the beginning, but now since they have their enormous marketing budgets to create an image instead of the actual products doing that, they even assist the sweatshops to some extent. In a case I'm thinking of, the brand advised the factory owner he should have "at least one good factory", and if they order more than he can make he can just subcontract the work. Of course, the order are always bigger than his capacity and the subcontracting is done in sweatshops. For the brands its "out of sight, out of mind". When and if some investigation turns up the use of sweatshops, the brand has the excuse that they didn't know where it was being made outside of the one factory.

Aside from the Chinese sweatshops, theres already plenty of clothing made elsewhere in central european countries, imported to add labels, then re-exported. Often times the label/tags are added at bonded customs warehouses doing value added work like adding the tags etc.

Exactly, there was a special documentary about this on tv last year, showing how big brands like Gucci, Prada, Bottega veneta etc. are all doing this ...
post #55 of 101
very interesting read, thanks for sharing. i wonder when we'll see a movie adaptation of this story. it could be the international version of "wall street"
post #56 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiomassimo View Post
Exactly, there was a special documentary about this on tv last year, showing how big brands like Gucci, Prada, Bottega veneta etc. are all doing this ...

So these really are for Chinese by Chinese
post #57 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol View Post
So these really are for Chinese by Chinese

Well, yes ... I guess you could say that
post #58 of 101
almost split my sides as i rolled on the floor. when i read about a gentleman named "Matteo" Wong.
post #59 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by a tailor View Post
almost split my sides as i rolled on the floor. when i read about a gentleman named "Matteo" Wong.

It might have been Matteo Wongoni...
post #60 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol View Post
So these really are for Chinese by Chinese

You're thinking of FUBU (for us by us).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Made in Italy by Chinese workers