or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why do people buy J.Crew?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do people buy J.Crew? - Page 7

post #91 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I once shined my shoes with a Rubinacci tie.

AE seconds?
post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post
ROFLMAO at this post. Yes - it's J. Crew's fault when their XS sizing doesn't fit you, and when you are 'swimming' in the S. Maybe it's because these shirts were not designed for novelty-sized men, or to be worn like a hipster DB? Sorry they don't fit like faded polaroid-hip BoO 'handmade in China' crap.
37" chest with a 30" waist, 18" shoulders. I'm far from a 'hipster db'. I'm not the starting linebacker but I guess I might not be typical fat america? I'm in shape, athletic. I'm the prototypical RLBL anthony fit if we're to talk about what suiting fits me best.
Quote:
Yes - their sweaters suck because they pill, especially since you wash them!
Even the Blue label RL sweaters at the same price point don't pill nor pull at the seams as bad as Jcrew's.
Quote:
Yes - Mabitex khakis in B&S at $60 or $110 are 'half the price' of J. Crew khakis. Sweet jesus I hope you don't discover W+H, WWM, or Margiela - their stuff is less than 1/4 the price of J. Crew stuff!
Not sure what logical point you're attempting to make. I picked up my Mabitex on B&S for $45 a pair, and bought my Urban Slim fit Cords for 75 and Bowerie Microstripes for $90. Now after rereading the above, I'm sure you completely missed my point. Why pay more for Jcrew when something at a lesser price point does it better by a wide margin. I have no problems paying a larger amount for MMM as I'm often paying for a specific design or fabric. However, for staple wear, Mabitex and Incotex offer better value than the crap Jcrew peddles. Sorry if I'm not feeling your favorite brand. I'm sure you'll get over it.
post #93 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranker View Post
37" chest with a 30" waist, 18" shoulders.
How tall are you? About 5'6"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranker View Post
Not sure what logical point you're attempting to make. I picked up my Mabitex on B&S for $45 a pair, .
The logical point is that Mabitex is not cheaper than JCrew just b/c you bought them used/flipped/overstocked. JCrew retail costs half of Mabitex retail... Consistent with the income distributions, I'd say 99.9% of Americans have not heard of Mabitex.
post #94 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post
ROFLMAO at this post.

Yes - it's J. Crew's fault when their XS sizing doesn't fit you, and when you are 'swimming' in the S. Maybe it's because these shirts were not designed for novelty-sized men, or to be worn like a hipster DB? Sorry they don't fit like faded polaroid-hip BoO 'handmade in China' crap.

Yes - their sweaters suck because they pill, especially since you wash them!

Yes - Mabitex khakis in B&S at $60 or $110 are 'half the price' of J. Crew khakis. Sweet jesus I hope you don't discover W+H, WWM, or Margiela - their stuff is less than 1/4 the price of J. Crew stuff!


I am also laughing at this post, as well as the ones from Jay Gatsby. The XS doesn't fit you, and the Ludlow sleeves were too long? Get a bigger size or go to a tailor. It is not incumbent upon J. Crew to make custom-made clothes for your specific body. What a ludicrous complaint. Also, washing sweaters and complaining when they come apart? Wow. I mean, wow.

When people rip J. Crew like this, what they are actually trying to do is convince themselves they made the right decision spending thousands at higher price points.
post #95 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
How tall are you?
About 5'6"?
If I'm feeling insecure, I'll say 5'9. I'm 5'8.5 if we want to be exact without shoes. What's the point of asking my height other than to hopefully take a shot at me? =)


Quote:
The logical point is that Mabitex is not cheaper than JCrew just b/c you bought them used/flipped/overstocked.
JCrew retail costs half of Mabitex retail...
Consistent with the income distributions, I'd say 99.9% of Americans have not heard of Mabitex.

Even if we're to exclude the large quantities seen on B&S, I've seen Mabitex as well as Incotex online for roughly the same price point between $80-110, including Gilt. I'm not sure why we're looking only at strictly retail prices rather than market prices.

Additionally, although I have no problems affording it, I'd never pay retail for RL blue label (and sometimes even RLBL) because its always on sale or easily found marked down.

There are plenty of other mall brands that offer better fits, construction at similar price points. Club Monaco and Benetton surpass Jcrew in most cases.
post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranker View Post
If I'm feeling insecure, I'll say 5'9. I'm 5'8.5 if we want to be exact without shoes. What's the point of asking my height other than to hopefully take a shot at me? =) .
Hardly. I was just curious how odd your fit is. At 5'9", 30W, 37C, you're rail thin, like an Asian. I'm guessing you weigh 140 lbs? Nothing OTR is going to fit you, not even slim fit. I get all my shirts taken in for $10, and I'm not as skinny as you are. You'll need to get everything tailored, if you want to play the SF game. JCrew chinos start at $59, retail. Mabitex is def. a higher price point.
post #97 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranker View Post
Even if we're to exclude the large quantities seen on B&S, I've seen Mabitex as well as Incotex online for roughly the same price point between $80-110, including Gilt. I'm not sure why we're looking only at strictly retail prices rather than market prices.
Doing a search for 'J Crew khaki' with a price limit of $20 on eBay brings up more than 70 pairs - so much for your 'market prices'. I also love the way everyone thinks a 6-7" drop is 'athletic'. WTF did that stupid misconception come from? Do any of the RLBL models really look 'athletic' to you? A 6-7"drop is fucking normal in non-Hicksville Walmart-fatty-land. Show me a 9-15" drop, then we can start talking.
post #98 of 123
A person with a 6-10" drop looks very fit... A 15" drop is more like a circus freak. Careful, Hicksville is only 25 miles from NYC. http://goo.gl/maps/PRlx
post #99 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
Hardly. I was just curious how odd your fit is. At 5'9", 30W, 37C, you're rail thin, like an Asian. I'm guessing you weigh 140 lbs? Nothing OTR is going to fit you, not even slim fit.
Can't win on premise, so keep attacking the poster? Got it. Feels like Nov elections in the Jcrew thread. =) I'm 155 lbs. Not rail thin. I am Asian. I have plenty that fits me great OTR if we want to talk mall brands here at South Coast Plaza: RLBL, Emporio, Gucci, D&G, Varvatos. If we want similar price points to Jcrew, then Club Monaco, Benetton, and AX (how I dread their logowear, but their fit is pretty spot on for that price point range). Any other shots you want to take?
Quote:
I also love the way everyone thinks a 6-7" drop is 'athletic'. WTF did that stupid misconception come from? Do any of the RLBL models really look 'athletic' to you? A 6-7"drop is fucking normal in non-Hicksville Walmart-fatty-land. Show me a 9-15" drop, then we can start talking.
Nice strawman argument. Never said my drop makes me athletic. My years playing soccer, hockey, and bball, all while hitting the gym 4 days week do. You've proven my point by saying I'm 'normal non-hicksville" America. If I can't wear Jcrew OTR and I'm 'normal non-hicksville' america, then how out of touch are they with their sizing? Again, we're here to discuss the clothes yet because I don't hold your revered brand in the same light, the topic turns towards attacking me. Winning arguments.
post #100 of 123
Ranker, I wasn't taking a shot at you. I was being factual. I am also thin, but, you're even thinner than I am. I have found almost nothing OTR that fits me well (and is under $100), except BR Monogram pants, and Nordstrom's Slim Fit shirts. For the record, I don't even like JCrew. I think it's overpriced.
post #101 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranker View Post
Nice strawman argument. Never said my drop makes me athletic. My years playing soccer, hockey, and bball, all while hitting the gym 4 days week do.
Wasn't actually referring to you, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranker View Post
Again, we're here to discuss the clothes yet because I don't hold your revered brand in the same light, the topic turns towards attacking me. Winning arguments.
...FWIW, this is a strawman argument. I am taking issue with the ludicrous 'arguments' you use to justify your disdain for J Crew. If I took 'how it fits me' to be a barometer of the quality of a company's product then that means that Orvis, Kiton, Zegna, Tom Ford, all produce crappy products because they don't fit me OTR? What's more stupid is that you're applying that scale to a mall brand designed to fit 90% of the population as opposed to outliers like yourself. And if I washed (multiple times) a $500 Cuccinelli pure 7-ply cashmere sweater woven by virgin daughters of >10-generation Kashmir goat herding families, yeah it would probably pill and stretch at the seams too. Yeh it's a mall brand. Yeh it's touted as being slightly 'higher quality' than other mall brands, and charges accordingly. Yeh annoying hipster DBs are attracted to it. But at the end of the day it's still just another mall brand, and you gets what you pays for.
post #102 of 123
The Jcrew shirts I have is wider in the midsection than the chest, so I would say it is designed for people with beer guts. The argument I've heard for Jcrew is that it's a cheap source for basics, but I don't understand that argument. The basics, like your solid shirts, suits, blazers, sweaters, and pants, are what should fit really well and last for a long time, and not some cheap stuff you have to replace every year.
post #103 of 123
"Oh, lord yea!" A few years ago, I noticed that all the JCrew models were middle aged guys. Salt/pepper beards, etc. Squarely in their 40s. Dads. etc. This was not being marketed to college kids, like it may have been in the early 90s. In the real world, this age demographic has beer guts. Crosses all social boundries. Yes, even upscale, educated, finance, non-Walmart/Disney types. (Gasp!) I'd love to see a JCrew catalog from 1990. I'm assuming the models were 20 and 30 something, not 40+ like today. I'm also curious how expensive it was. At the time, as a college kid, the prices seemed obscene.
post #104 of 123
Little known fact: the J in J. Crew stands for Jesus.

I bet those of you who have given this brand a hard time in this thread are shitting bricks now.


- B
post #105 of 123
I like the looks of that. Hard to tell the quality from their catalog though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why do people buy J.Crew?