or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why do people buy J.Crew?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do people buy J.Crew? - Page 8

post #106 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by teapartystyle View Post
Well, while we are talking about JCrew, what do you think about this JC jacket:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/o...9666/29666.jsp

It goes for $278. Can someone find me either a cheaper but same quality jacket, find me a better quality jacket for the same price, or perhaps a better quality yet marginally more expensive jacket than this one.

Does anyone even think this jacket is worth $278?

BTW, what do you guys think of this one for the Fall/Winter? I normally wear a peacoat or buy from ALPHA brand parkas.

Thanks.

The Jcrew one looks like a cheaper knock off of a Barbour. Funny enough, Jcrew sells it, a Barbour jacket: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/o...9895/19895.jsp

It's 25% more, but Barbour has a stellar track record for the quality of their jackets. I'd save up for the Barbour. There's nothing worse than '1/2 kop' regret.
post #107 of 123
The JCrew jacket seems much more fitted, yet also seems much more insulated. In my mind, it's like it can't make it's mind up. Light jacket or heavy?
post #108 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post
I'd love to see a JCrew catalog from 1990.
I'm assuming the models were 20 and 30 something, not 40+ like today.
I'm also curious how expensive it was.
At the time, as a college kid, the prices seemed obscene.

Your assumption is correct. I started buying through the J. Crew catalogue my first year in university which would have been 1991. The models were all clean-cut all-American kids in their early 20s. And often unattractive. It was even a joke on Letterman back then about the often unattractiveness of J. Crew's models.

As for prices. Well, I've long enjoyed J. Crew's barn jacket which I paid under $100 back then. I don't know if they still offer them but last I heard they were about $140.

It's hard for me to gauge how expensive J. Crew was back then because after the exchange rate to Canadian dollars, J. Crew's clothes often were 50% more expensive then their listed prices so my perception is a bit coloured. They did seem to command a slight premium even back then, but the quality was also much higher. I have a few shirts and pants from that era J. Crew in my closets and the quality of fabric and construction was higher.

In fact, I'm wearing a shirt to work tomorrow that I bought from J. Crew in 1993 that still looks brand new.
post #109 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Little known fact: the J in J. Crew stands for Jesus.

I bet those of you who have given this brand a hard time in this thread are shitting bricks now.


- B

before the new group from rome bought in the company, the J stood for "Jew" hence the preppy image back in the day.
post #110 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennonMcCartney View Post
+1

parce qu'ils ne connaissent rien d'autres
post #111 of 123
I have almost the exact same proportions as Ranker and J Crew shirts also don't fit me well. However I always like the patterns so I buy them anyway. One day I'm going to take them to the tailor and fix them all at once.

Ranker, could you recommend me any particular brand that fits you the best in your experience?
post #112 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
I have almost the exact same proportions as Ranker and J Crew shirts also don't fit me well. However I always like the patterns so I buy them anyway. One day I'm going to take them to the tailor and fix them all at once. Ranker, could you recommend me any particular brand that fits you the best in your experience?
Since this is a J crew discussion, I'll assume you're talking about mall brands and not your online retailers. Here goes: Similar price points to Jcrew: Club Monaco, Armani Exchange (I usually get my v-neck/crew-neck t shirts there, and an occasional white oxford. It's hard to find non-logo'd basics, but they come around every now and then), and Zara. Zara's fits best out of the bunch save for the rare non-logo'd AX. Be aware that Zara usually sizes itself for the more fit/in-shape European, so you might be either an S or even an M depending on the cut where you'd usually and XS or S in brands like Jcrew/BR/Gap. I find that's usually the case for me. slightly higher pricepoints: RLBL (especially now with the deep discounts going on with the 40% + 15% sales) higher pricepoints: Emporio Armani (my fav for shirting from mall brands), D&G, Gucci. With Emporio, you can often wait until their bi-annual 40% off sales and grab the shirts you like. It usually drops the price down to sub $100. You're basically getting the same price as if you purchased one of Jcrew's shirts for $70 and the alterations as I normally have the sides taken in ($10), darts to slim down the torso for my drop ($10), and sleeves slimmed ($10).
post #113 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post
how is it so? people who otherwise aren't familiar with belstaff, quoddy and the other brands get to try these stuff out; the brands gets to ride on j. crew's distribution network; and j.crew, in a way has to step up their game compared to the other mall brands. everyone wins- save for some folks who are aghast by the loss of the "exclusivity" of these niche brands.


Because they offer these quality brands, and suckers think wow, if they're selling this then jcrew quality must be pretty good too. Which it isn't. The quality brands make out by gaining a larger market. Jcrew makes out by scamming customers into paying high prices for their chinese crap.

Someone sees $1500 for the belstaff brad jacket they think $150-$200 for a sweater is not bad
post #114 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Little known fact: the J in J. Crew stands for Jesus.

I bet those of you who have given this brand a hard time in this thread are shitting bricks now.


- B

Literally LOL'd. Thank you sir.
post #115 of 123
I like their short sleeve polo shirts. No logo at all. Flies under the radar.
post #116 of 123
Well I am a college student and I buy J. Crew. Albeit of late it is starting to get harder and harder to purchase from them because of their ridiculously high shipping costs and the fact that all their nice clothes can only be purchased online their stores are filled with crap. I like their clothes. If I made enough money to buy better quality clothes would I? Of course but for now the best option I have is J. Crew. What I like most about J. Crew is the styling ( not necessarily the fit) of their shirts and the lack of logos. I Hate logos on my clothes. Why do I want some little horse on my chest if I'm not getting paid for it. Not too mention I can't seem to find a way to buy Club Monaco online and if your someone like me who goes to school in the armpit of CA then online shopping is pretty much your best bet. I have heard a lot of talk about brands who have better quality at the price point but have seen no examples.

Now I know I am new to the game so I have a lot of learning to do but imagine if you were back in college but had your same thoughts about clothing what would you buy? I would love some suggestions because I am willing to spend my money on clothes instead of beer and partying and would love to expand my wardrobe.
post #117 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstyle View Post
Well I am a college student and I buy J. Crew. Albeit of late it is starting to get harder and harder to purchase from them because of their ridiculously high shipping costs and the fact that all their nice clothes can only be purchased online their stores are filled with crap. I like their clothes. If I made enough money to buy better quality clothes would I? Of course but for now the best option I have is J. Crew. What I like most about J. Crew is the styling ( not necessarily the fit) of their shirts and the lack of logos. I Hate logos on my clothes. Why do I want some little horse on my chest if I'm not getting paid for it. Not too mention I can't seem to find a way to buy Club Monaco online and if your someone like me who goes to school in the armpit of CA then online shopping is pretty much your best bet. I have heard a lot of talk about brands who have better quality at the price point but have seen no examples. Now I know I am new to the game so I have a lot of learning to do but imagine if you were back in college but had your same thoughts about clothing what would you buy? I would love some suggestions because I am willing to spend my money on clothes instead of beer and partying and would love to expand my wardrobe.
Agreed. Logos suck. Why pay money to advertise Ralph Lauren with some pompous little pony?
post #118 of 123
Leave your home behind you, Your friends by field and town: Oh, town and field will mind you Till Ludlow tower is down.
post #119 of 123
Basically: because they are living in the U.S.A. (that's what I have found out browsing the net)...then they also make a great fuss about how trad and how cool J Crew and Brooks Brothers is etc...
post #120 of 123
Since it's getting cold now in New York, I plan on picking up some of their sweaters...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why do people buy J.Crew?