or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Let's see your weight loss
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let's see your weight loss - Page 5

post #61 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
Well, OK. But it was never even about willpower in the first place.

Hey!
post #62 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
A lack of willpower is not what's causing individuals to be unable to lose weight, nor is it what's causing Americans to suffer from obesity. Granted, some people will have more difficulty with losing weight than others. But this does not imply that it is a lack of willpower that is the determining factor.
Listen sparky, you don't know shit from shinola when it comes to actual weight loss. I've lost more weight than you have on your body, or probably ever will have. On paper, you might be a quite educated when it comes to breaking it all down. In the real world, when you're standing in front of an open fridge and you can't bring yourself to close it because that last bit of leftovers is staring you in the face, and you realize that you've been standing there for 5 minutes despite your desire to close the door, then you'll know how important willpower is. IT IS PARAMOUNT. This cannot be understated. Without the willpower to keep from eating, any plan, no matter how well thought out and constructed, will go to complete shit. Period.
post #63 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
You know very little about much of anything.
FTFY
Quote:
On paper, you might be a quite educated when it comes to breaking it all down.
He doesn't even have this. It's much closer to a wikipedia eduction + a few conveniently interpreted journals. Even if he has looked further in to what he talks about, he misunderstands much of it.
post #64 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Listen sparky, you don't know shit from shinola when it comes to actual weight loss. I've lost more weight than you have on your body, or probably ever will have. On paper, you might be a quite educated when it comes to breaking it all down. In the real world, when you're standing in front of an open fridge and you can't bring yourself to close it because that last bit of leftovers is staring you in the face, and you realize that you've been standing there for 5 minutes despite your desire to close the door, then you'll know how important willpower is. IT IS PARAMOUNT. This cannot be understated. Without the willpower to keep from eating, any plan, no matter how well thought out and constructed, will go to complete shit. Period.

I understand what you are saying--completely. What I am saying is that a lack of willpower isn't what's causing someone to be unable to resist raiding the refrigerator at night. It is not because they don't possess self control, or that they are a glutton and a sloth, but rather because of certain biological (and to a degree, behavioral) factors that drives one to over-consume, and to crave specific foods that are uniquely fattening and inhibitory of any desired weight-loss effect.
post #65 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post
FTFY



He doesn't even have this. It's much closer to a wikipedia eduction + a few conveniently interpreted journals. Even if he has looked further in to what he talks about, he misunderstands much of it.

You really need to remove the stick out of your ass.
post #66 of 240
Whoops double post
post #67 of 240
Quote:
What I am saying is that a lack of willpower isn't what's causing someone to be unable to resist.
Er oh Er Read the above statement again. Lol
Quote:
You really need to remove the stick out of your ass.
I dig being self taught. It's some good fucking bull. You should just have some idea of what you're talking about when you speak about it. Your local library has books on OChem and BioChem I bet. Otherwise there's Khan Academy (free online) which will cover OChem and intro to Bio and then you can examine things like metabolic pathways, genetics, etc.
post #68 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by HgaleK View Post
Er oh Er

Read the above statement again.

Lol



I dig being self taught. It's some good fucking bull. You should just have some idea of what you're talking about when you speak about it. Your local library has books on OChem and BioChem I bet. Otherwise there's Khan Academy (free online) which will cover OChem and intro to Bio and then you can examine things like metabolic pathways, genetics, etc.

Feel free to counter my arguments at any time.
post #69 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
I understand what you are saying--completely. What I am saying is that a lack of willpower isn't what's causing someone to be unable to resist raiding the refrigerator at night. It is not because they don't possess self control, or that they are a glutton and a sloth, but rather because of certain biological (and to a degree, behavioral) factors that drives one to over-consume, and to crave specific foods that are uniquely fattening and inhibitory of any desired weight-loss effect.

isnt this what people call lack of willpower?

your body might be asking you for food, but it's called will power when you say no.
post #70 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post
isnt this what people call lack of willpower?

Willpower mustn't be confused with behavioral disorders or addictions. The lack of will is not the cause of these manifestations, but merely a symptom. It is not what's driving one to abuse food, or to be unable to stick to a diet. In this case, the problem lies much deeper.

Quote:
your body might be asking you for food, but it's called will power when you say no.

That's called starvation.
post #71 of 240
You're splitting hairs to avoid being wrong. Stop it.
post #72 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post
You're splitting hairs to avoid being wrong. Stop it.
I don't believe I was splitting any hairs. Then again, I could be wrong. I just am pretty sure that I'm not.
post #73 of 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm84321 View Post
I don't believe I was splitting any hairs. Then again, I could be wrong. I just am pretty sure that I'm not.

Quote:
What I am saying is that a lack of willpower isn't what's causing someone to be unable to resist.

post #74 of 240
What is your problem with that statement? You've quoted it twice now without once actually articulating your thoughts on it.
post #75 of 240
It's not an issue of behavior, it's just an issue of behavior. I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Not sure though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Let's see your weight loss