• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne: Not so bad after all...

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
As many of you remember, I made a rant earlier sometime this year about how he was pretty laughable. Well... since actually learning about him I've come to find something to like. Granted, I think his personal style needs a bit of a checkup. The unironed shirts, way-too-small suits, and tie tuck make him look like... well... a vintage hobo. Also, his asking prices are rather high for someone who claims he's after young guys for his market, most of whom don't have $3000 to blow on a new suit or a couple thousand for a sweater. I also thought a few of his ideas, such as the jersey mesh dinner jacket and suiting shorts, were pretty laughable. Despite these nitpicks, I can't help but notice that his clothes are generally well constructed and nice looking. Also, after seeing a few buyers of his clothing (including our own Get Smart) I'm a bit relieved to see they don't all have pants halfway to their knees or jackets that barely reach their hips. Secondly, you could say the style has grown on me a bit. Stay confirmed it. I would wear pretty much everything Mr. McGregor did, possibly with the exception of the footie socks (the quarter length ones I saw in a production photo were quite swell though). The trousers weren't overly short, and looked pretty natural on Ewan's character. Even the fact that he didn't have his collar points buttoned down didn't bother me. It was all pulled off very well, and of course the shirts were ironed which helped. I'm a big fan of that black varsity stripe cardigan. So basically, I learned you shouldn't knock someone you don't know just because they seem strange or unconventional to you. Enough prejudice exists in the world as it is.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
rolleyes.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
It's directed at a majority of the forum users who honestly seem a little stuck up in their attitudes towards different approaches to style.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
It's directed at a majority of the forum users who honestly seem a little stuck up in their attitudes towards different approaches to style.

I don't think anyone question his workmanship nor his fabrics. Nor do I think people who reacted negatively to a tuxedo with shorts, suit jackets that could barely close at the button and where your arm movement is restricted, suit pants with patches and hems that end just below your knee, are stuck up. The fact of the matter is that Thom Browne is the public face for his enterprise. The other fact of the matter is that he dresses in clothes that make him look like Pee Wee Herman. He also does not wear socks with dress clothing, including a tuxedo. I never doubted that if you were a customer of his that you could get clothes that were not so extreme. My only doubts were in who would pay $4,000 to someone who advocated the style which he advocates. Take away the highwaters, tight jackets, skinny lapels and add some socks and the novelty of Thom Browne wears off and you see a suit that is made by quite a few designers for quite a few dollars less. His suits are made in a factory in Queens that makes suits for other designers, for his prices I'd expect a little more exclusivity in the manufacturing process.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was under the impression that Thom Browne's suits were by an Italian company. Or perhaps that is his MTM line, called bespoke.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
edmorel: If you'll notice I agree that his prices should be lowered quite a bit and that his style sense is really off, not to mention that some of his ideas are just plain ridiculous. Those too-tight jackets seem to be a product of marketing, like they purposely wore a size down. Pretty much like the man himself. The main thing I've seen are attacks from all sorts of people who go JUST on the images they see of him to form their opinion. Hence you get the whole, "WHY IS HE CHARGING SO MUCH FOR SOMETHING THAT ISN'T SUPPOSED TO FIT???"

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think anybody really noticed your earlier rant. I for one was not paing attention. Perhaps you have a link.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I don't think anybody really noticed your earlier rant. I for one was not paing attention. Perhaps you have a link.
lol8[1].gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Lost in the forum crash I believe.

You can be subtly assholic all you want, but I do remember a few seniors posting in it. Hence, perhaps they remember even if you do not.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I think LabelKing and Get Smart posted among a few others. Mostly I just remember people being like, "That opinion has been stated many times."

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Women's mainline couturiers have always shown unwearable, often abysmal looking garments, during runway shows. I think this practice has infiltrated the men's collections, now . . . it takes genius to give avant-garde fashion direction, and to maintain a high taste level, at the same time. I'm not familiar with Thom Browne. As to whether or not he has what it takes to make a success of this daring and demanding recipe for fashion, I can't say. Maybe he'll make it, in fragrance.

The only woman's couturier in recent memory, who had what it took to be iconoclastic and tasteful, and flawlessly crafted, all at the same time, was Yves Saint Laurent.
Just my opinion, of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics