or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why burberry is so expensive?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why burberry is so expensive? - Page 3

post #31 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLester View Post
I suspect that those sweaters are very fine, but keep in mind that some people are willing to pay more for a particular design. "quality" isn't the only important criteria.

There is always someone who can custom make the same type of thing better for less. Its really not about quality, cut, finish, materials, its about that little label they add when they are all done. That is what raises the price 300%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coburn View Post
Otavalo the City?

How do you arrange this?

Yes Otavalo, the city famous for their wool and wool products. There is a gentleman who sells direct from Otavalo on ebay, but if you buy 3 or more sweaters he will have them custom made in the style, color, and measurements you wish. At least he did that for me. They will last forever.
post #32 of 70
burberry is trying to price itself out of its main market: chavs, hooligans and member of footballer's firms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burberr...revitalisation
post #33 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic View Post
burberry is trying to price itself out of its main market: chavs, hooligans and member of footballer's firms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burberr...revitalisation

post #34 of 70
I would give Burberry a wide berth. They closed down their UK factory a couple of years ago and sacked all their staff, most had been there many years, they then contracted their production out to a company in the building next to me in HK who make it all in Shenzhen. Now they have the balls to start upping prices when production costs must be 10% of what they were before. They won't get one cent from me. I don't mind brands getting in made in China but reflect it in the cost, there is nothing luxury about a bunch of peasants toiling away for 16 hrs a day for peanuts. More and more seems to be going this route even though they don't admit.
post #35 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
There is always someone who can custom make the same type of thing better for less. Its really not about quality, cut, finish, materials, its about that little label they add when they are all done. That is what raises the price 300%

As a Graphic Designer, I can make any label you'd like so you can buy knockoffs with a 100% accurate knock-off label!
post #36 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855 View Post
I would give Burberry a wide berth. They closed down their UK factory a couple of years ago and sacked all their staff, most had been there many years, they then contracted their production out to a company in the building next to me in HK who make it all in Shenzhen. Now they have the balls to start upping prices when production costs must be 10% of what they were before. They won't get one cent from me. I don't mind brands getting in made in China but reflect it in the cost, there is nothing luxury about a bunch of peasants toiling away for 16 hrs a day for peanuts. More and more seems to be going this route even though they don't admit.

Globalization my friend...

People who thought prices will go down as a result of cutting labour costs were fools.
post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
There is always someone who can custom make the same type of thing better for less. Its really not about quality, cut, finish, materials, its about that little label they add when they are all done. That is what raises the price 300%
Maybe for some items but I have never seen someone custom make a replica Burberry prorsum runway outfit. Someone could do it I suppose. That could be an expensive experiment. Most people here do not pay retail FYI.
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananananana View Post
You probably got a Burberry Brit or London from the department store. Both lines are pretty crappy. London has some decent stuff at times, but very overpriced. Brit, besides being overpriced, is just complete shit.

London is indeed serviceable once discounted. I have a pair of its wool Oxford bags that I am fond of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post
You should take a poal on that subject.

A "How to spell 'M8'" poal doesn't say "popular attraction" to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLester View Post
I suspect that those sweaters are very fine, but keep in mind that some people are willing to pay more for a particular design. "quality" isn't the only important criteria.

^ This
post #39 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855 View Post
I would give Burberry a wide berth. They closed down their UK factory a couple of years ago and sacked all their staff, most had been there many years, they then contracted their production out to a company in the building next to me in HK who make it all in Shenzhen. Now they have the balls to start upping prices when production costs must be 10% of what they were before. They won't get one cent from me. I don't mind brands getting in made in China but reflect it in the cost, there is nothing luxury about a bunch of peasants toiling away for 16 hrs a day for peanuts. More and more seems to be going this route even though they don't admit.

+1

Most Burberry I've seen in recent years has been underwhelming. The $120 boxer and t-shirt set they sell at Saks is a joke.
post #40 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855 View Post
I would give Burberry a wide berth.

They're the United Fruit Company of clothiers. (Ironically, it's not Banana Republic.)
post #41 of 70
Burberry is part of a global corporation ... with blinders focused on growth, visibility, brand awareness, advertising and most expecially PROFIT! It's a world where perception trumps reality. The family run business that cared about integrity and quality is long gone.
post #42 of 70
Actually, they are priced at $$$$ simply so that people can sell them on the B&S saying "retail $$$$ reduced to... $$."
post #43 of 70
This is hearsay, but I once heard that Burberry actually *destroys* any surplus merchandise every season /year in order to ensure that nothing is reduced to sale/clearance bins, and thereby protecting the exclusivity and "prestige" of the brand.

On one hand, this could be completely false. On the other, it could even be common among high end design houses. Does anyone here have first-hand knowledge of the fashion industry?
post #44 of 70
Only like the Burberry Black Label line
post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN41 View Post
This is hearsay, but I once heard that Burberry actually *destroys* any surplus merchandise every season /year in order to ensure that nothing is reduced to sale/clearance bins, and thereby protecting the exclusivity and "prestige" of the brand.

On one hand, this could be completely false. On the other, it could even be common among high end design houses. Does anyone here have first-hand knowledge of the fashion industry?

I have a Burberry jacket I bought at Nordstrom Rack for around 50% off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why burberry is so expensive?