• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice: lose some weight!

bob99

Reaction score
Around June I decided it was time to clean up my diet and start exercising more regularly. I've been at it for about 3 months, and the change has been great. I was shopping today, trying on clothes, and I was shocked at how much better I look. It's much more fun to go shopping when you're happy about how you look!

I went cold turkey, and cut out all junk food / snack food / bad food. When I'm eating out for work, I just order whatever the healthiest option is. I'm also going to the gym 5 times a week, doing weights and riding an exercise bike. It's definitely taken dedication, but it has been 100% worth it.

I haven't been weighing myself regularly, but I've easily lost 25lbs (down to 175 from 200) and it's become enough of a habit that I'm excited about going forward.

Start today! Trust me, you'll enjoy it!

juvefan

Reaction score
dont forget to still eat lots of protein, complex carbs, and good fats

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice going. It's amazing what happens when you stop eating processed food.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. It's been a couple months since I began eating healther (starting first with cutting soda 3 months ago, then slowly removing junk food etc.) Started off at 189, and weighed in today at 176.2. Still 10-15 left to go, and still have a lot more lifting to do, but exercise + good diet is the ONLY way to lose weight effectively.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Half the people on this forum could use this advice.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Stop eatin' the wheat, you fat disgustin' wheatbellah! Ya hear nah?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the weight loss.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
Yeah, processed food is filled with fat, cholesterol, etc.
5086.gif

Actually processed foods are usually carbohydrate rich, devoid of any fat and cholesterol at all in most cases save things like ice creams and cookies. Fat and cholesterol are not the issue with weight gain and obesity. Fat does not make you fat. Simple sugars and starches (carbohydrates) are what will cause you to pack on the pounds. Eat steaks and cheeseburgers ad libitum (forgo the bun) and you will be fine.
smile.gif
Congrats on the progress bob99!

PipPip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob99
Around June I decided it was time to clean up my diet and start exercising more regularly. I've been at it for about 3 months, and the change has been great. I was shopping today, trying on clothes, and I was shocked at how much better I look. It's much more fun to go shopping when you're happy about how you look!

I went cold turkey, and cut out all junk food / snack food / bad food. When I'm eating out for work, I just order whatever the healthiest option is. I'm also going to the gym 5 times a week, doing weights and riding an exercise bike. It's definitely taken dedication, but it has been 100% worth it.

I haven't been weighing myself regularly, but I've easily lost 25lbs (down to 175 from 200) and it's become enough of a habit that I'm excited about going forward.

Start today! Trust me, you'll enjoy it!

Exactly the same here over same time period. I lost a similar amount too, well about 10.5kgs so far which in old money is about 23 pounds (down from about 194 pounds to 171). Gym has only been 3 or 4 times a week as my lifestyle does not allow more than that, but largely its due to the food. Like you I went cold turkey, no junk just whole foods, hardly any bread or pasta, no croissants (tough as I live in Paris) and lots of fish and lentils. I had a few suits made last year but they look too big now and I've had to buy a couple of new belts. Haven't been clothes shopping yet but you've put the idea in my head now! I'm also excited about going forwards and I expected the weight loss to slow down but if anything it was faster in the last couple of weeks, could be a metabolism change or maybe my weight training is just becoming more effective.

Foxtrot56

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kallishell
Diet is more important anyway.Quick weight loss is a life changing experience.Try the Paleolithic diet.And if your mom doesn't want to spend the money on healthy foods, ask her if she would rather see you get fat and die.That might wake her up.It offers a wide range of healthy food, uses simple, healthy recipes and wonderful support to keep you motivated.

What the hell? You know spaces are suppose to go after the end of a sentence right? Anyways, diet is not more important than exercise, if you want to lose weight in a safe and healthy way you have to do both, there is almost no way around it.

Christobevii3

Reaction score
I quit playing college football and started working. I was an offensive lineman and went from 300lbs to 215lbs over a year. All I did was start cooking all my own meals. I feel great and still am in shape from football but at a normal size. People constantly comment on how good I look now compared to prior and how I look younger.

Guide yourself on eating first, once you get that you'll lose weight. Eat to be the weight you want, get there, then start working out. At that point you'll be doing great.

kakemono

Reaction score
I have lost a lot of weight - and it isn't by cutting calories. I've been eating better calories.

Poeple at work who I are also trying to lose weight constantly come over and look at the calorie information of what I am eating. Dried Unsweetened Fruit, Almonds, Pistachios, Homemade Juice, Carrots and tell me there are too many calories and they can't eat what I eat. Then they go eat some South Beach Diet cereal bar and down 2-3 Diet Cokes and tell me that one day it will catch up to me.

Eat healthier not less. I excersize a fair amount, but no structured gym workouts.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once you make some progress on weight loss it gets really easy to keep going and it just feels so good. I started through a program at work that we modeled after the tv show Biggest Loser. We have a couple trainers who come in 4 days a week for workouts and a dietician who comes in once a week to go over our food journals. We do cardio and resistance training and eat a lot of clean, healthy and natural foods. It is not a calorie restricted diet at all, just making sure we eat the right kinds of calories. I've completely changed the way I eat now having cut out all soda (replaced with La Croix water which I love now!), cut down on my alcohol consumption a lot, and started eating a lot more fresh foods. I've done the 12 week program 3 times now and have gone from 282lbs to about 198lbs. My 4th program starts in a week and I can't wait, this should be the one that gets me down to about 180lbs I'm hoping...making for an over 100lb weight loss which is my overall goal, can't wait to get there.

Only downside is I used to walk into Context and not be able to fit into more then 1 or 2 things from them....now I go in and everything fits me and I want it all....it's getting expensive
smile.gif

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
Once you make some progress on weight loss it gets really easy to keep going and it just feels so good. I started through a program at work that we modeled after the tv show Biggest Loser. We have a couple trainers who come in 4 days a week for workouts and a dietician who comes in once a week to go over our food journals. We do cardio and resistance training and eat a lot of clean, healthy and natural foods. It is not a calorie restricted diet at all, just making sure we eat the right kinds of calories. I've completely changed the way I eat now having cut out all soda (replaced with La Croix water which I love now!), cut down on my alcohol consumption a lot, and started eating a lot more fresh foods. I've done the 12 week program 3 times now and have gone from 282lbs to about 198lbs. My 4th program starts in a week and I can't wait, this should be the one that gets me down to about 180lbs I'm hoping...making for an over 100lb weight loss which is my overall goal, can't wait to get there.

Only downside is I used to walk into Context and not be able to fit into more then 1 or 2 things from them....now I go in and everything fits me and I want it all....it's getting expensive
smile.gif

PLEASE post before and after pics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads