or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tyrwhitt Shoe Quality
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tyrwhitt Shoe Quality - Page 3

post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
I used the size conversion and it worked for me.
I purchased my CT shoes in the store and the size 8 had the best fit.
I am either US8 or US8.5.
Are they all marked with their UK sizes or is it possible that for the store in NY they mark them with the US size?
What's the size conversion they recommend?
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203
I actually have recommended several times against buying the CT black chelsea boots (or any other CT shoes for that matter). But the "good deals" continuously engineered by the marketing folks at CT seem to lure people here like the sirens lured Ulysses's men... I advise you all to tie yourselves to the mast!

Yes, the question of where you can get a fair deal for a good pair of Chelsea boots comes up here quite frequently. I recommend RM Williams every time - for value, comfort, and the quality of the build and leather they are unbeatable. Still somehow somebody just has to yell out "Charles Tyrwhitt!!!" every time. Then a while later you read the post lamenting how someone regretted buying the CTs - obviously after being lured to their doom by those sirens. RM Williams boots on the other hand only show up subsequently on 'ankle boot porn' threads sitting proudly next to a pair of Vass boots.

So when the sirens call next time, remember folks to put wax in your ears and keep rowing straight bye.
post #33 of 57
Thread Starter 
Here are the pictures I promised. Upon examining the shoes and wearing them again, I think I over reacted when criticizing these particular shoes. Anyway:









post #34 of 57
Thanks JR - they do look quite fine actually.
post #35 of 57
It's hard to tell from those photos, but I don't see anything particularly bad about the quality or the construction.
post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sator
Yes, the question of where you can get a fair deal for a good pair of Chelsea boots comes up here quite frequently. I recommend RM Williams every time - for value, comfort, and the quality of the build and leather they are unbeatable. Still somehow somebody just has to yell out "Charles Tyrwhitt!!!" every time. Then a while later you read the post lamenting how someone regretted buying the CTs - obviously after being lured to their doom by those sirens. RM Williams boots on the other hand only show up subsequently on 'ankle boot porn' threads sitting proudly next to a pair of Vass boots.

So when the sirens call next time, remember folks to put wax in your ears and keep rowing straight bye.

It's ridiculous to lambast CT for not having the same quality as a shoe that costs over twice as much (assuming the eternal CT codes of course).

And for the record I'm very happy with my CT chukkas.
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute
It's hard to tell from those photos, but I don't see anything particularly bad about the quality or the construction.


How can you say that? The shoes are all blurry. I like my shoes sharp. I never buy blurry shoes.

post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslade
How can you say that? The shoes are all blurry. I like my shoes sharp. I never buy blurry shoes.


Sometimes I wear a blurry shoe just to throw people off a little bit. I get a lot of double takes when I do this. Seeing the people rub their eyes is kind of funny too.
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
Nope, several people recommended against the black boots, including me. As an owner of both colors, I second the notion that the quality of the leather on the brown boots really is superior.......I used the size conversion and it worked for me.

Where were you when I needed you!!!???
http://styleforum.net/showthread.php...ighlight=boots
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=boots+chelsea

Anyway, live and learn. The support for this brand seems pretty overwhelming on this site - I guess they're just not for me.
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Sometimes I wear a blurry shoe just to throw people off a little bit. I get a lot of double takes when I do this. Seeing the people rub their eyes is kind of funny too.


I wear these sometimes just so I don't overwhelm people.
post #41 of 57
I purchased the CT semi-brogues in tan/brown during the summer sale. I feel that at $150 (including shipping to my door) I paid a price that was fair at worst and good at best. The construction quality is a hair below Allen Edmonds, but they polish up nice, have worn well, are extremely comfortable and have gotten positive comments on three occasions in half a dozen wearings.
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by j



I knew the morality police would crack down on all the shoe porn sooner or later...
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
It's ridiculous to lambast CT for not having the same quality as a shoe that costs over twice as much (assuming the eternal CT codes of course).

I guess it depends on where you buy them. I recently picked up a pair of RM Williams boots at retail in Sydney for about €200 (after getting back the 10% sales tax). Currently, the CT site is offering 25% off, which makes the calf-leather shoes €225, plus shipping.
post #44 of 57
I don't know where to get RM's in the US other than Ben Silver, where they're $425. CT is currently offering 40% off plus free shipping, which leaves the chelseas at $178 total.
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
I don't know where to get RM's in the US other than Ben Silver, where they're $425. CT is currently offering 40% off plus free shipping, which leaves the chelseas at $178 total.

Someone posted a link not too long ago to a place in Australia that ships RM Williams around the world at below (Australian) retail. I don't remember the URL, though; you'd have to dig through the archives to find it.

As far as CT goes, I guess the fact that U.S. customers don't have to pay VAT makes a pretty substantial difference. We in Europe are looking at a full price of either £195 or €299 (more or less the same amount) for the calf leather shoes, while the full U.S. price is only $325 (which is more like $195 at 40% off).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Tyrwhitt Shoe Quality