Received a very detailed and helpful response from Taryn King--newly in charge of MTOs at Rancourt--concerning my inquiry about a camp moc / string loafer. Taryn is definitely on top of the MTOs!
Since there was interest in hybrid camp moc / loafers (and Taryn stated that there have been requests for similar makeups), and since the mail was packed with info of more general interest, I'll share it below.
My request was for a camp moc similar to the Carmina String Loafer.
Taryn sent a pic of a tassel moc that very nearly matches the string loafer, and informed me that the tassels can be swapped for matching laces as on the string loafer.
Inquires followed by response in italics.
1) Blind eyelets? Definitely
2) Matched stitching? Yes.
3) Shorter plug (i.e. on the shoe in the photo, the plug does not extend all the way to the front of the shoe)?The picture you have sent is of a welted shoe, which is a line we are working on and plan on releasing some welted boots for our fall line. However, right now we don’t have the specific style you are looking for, it’s a common request and we are going to be developing this shoe as part of our welted line. The welt is why the moc toe stitch comes up higher on the foot, unfortunately right now it’s not in our handsewing capabilities.
4) Chiseled last (as in photo)?I would put this on the 555 last, it’s not going to be quite as chiseled as your original picture, but it is the most narrow toe we offer.....Also, take a look at the venetian loafers on our site. The plug comes up a bit higher and cuts in on the sides for a look similar to the original picture you sent, we could do this with these shoes as well.
5) Matched laces as in the photo? Absolutely.
6) "Rolled English Moc" Stitch (as in photo)? At this point we aren’t doing a rolled stitch, but hopefully in the future we will offer the exact shoe you had originally attached.
7) I would like the Tempest outsoles on these. Ok for a camp moc? This would work, however we are out of the tempest at this point, we have instead been substituting a “rope” sole which I have also attached a picture of. Please let me know if you would also like this sole.
Taryn also stated that they do use the same lasts for the Rancourt and their production for other brands. Apparently they have a total of 5 different lasts, but the different lasts are regularly used on any model.
I will be placing an order for these, but still not sure about the soles. Rope soles vs. the soles on the Venetian.
Hope this is helpful.