or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine - Page 467

post #6991 of 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Dry Goods View Post

Great to see people enjoying their Rancourt Holiday Mackworth Moccs! I've put together a little photoset to showcase the style and thought I'd share it with you guys as well.






I'm also happy to inform those of you looking to pick up some of our styles now or in the future that you'll finally be able to do it online again - you can check this pair out on our new website now

Happy Holidays!


Love these, find myself wearing them as soon as I get home from work.

post #6992 of 7403
Team Bison unite! Love the color on these. Really deep olive that stands out in a really subtle way. Great work PDG!

post #6993 of 7403

I had been keeping an eye on the Rancourt X Frank Clegg briefcase for about 8 months (before they re-released it with new leathers), waiting to find the right time and money pick it up. When Rancourt emailed out a 15% coupon for accessories over the weekend I seized the opportunity.

 

My previous (and first) leather briefcase was from Custom Hide. The Custom Hide bag is nice in its own right and is solidly constructed but is so heavy and bulky that it is nearly unusable on a daily basis. There was also an issue with the finishing process with the leather and the dye from the bag was transferring to my pants (and ruining them). So the Custom Hide briefcase got shelved after only a couple of months of use. 

anyway- about the RxFC briefcase:

I am really impressed with the craftsmanship, which I guess I should have expected coming from Rancourt and the venerable Frank Clegg. I am not used to the leather they used, which I guess has more of a "break" and creases more than I imagined. It leaves some panels with creases inconsistent to the rest. For example, the leather panels on the upper quarter of the bag are more heavily creased on one side than the other. I imagine this is a natural variation in the leathers used and that with use, the whole bag will crease in areas and look quite uniform. I'm probably just being a little OCD because it's something I just bought. Anyone with more experience in using leather briefcases, feel free to chime in on their age.

 

In any case, the leather is very soft, very light, and by contrast is about 1/3 the weight compared to Custom Hide. Actually, the RxFC bag is lighter than it looks, so I'm very optimistic about daily use. The RxFC bag is also visually striking, with hidden seems and a slim profile, which give it a sleek silhouette. The stitched handles give the bag a variance in the aesthetic and if I understand the website correctly, is Rancourt's nod to their handsewn work. I am slightly worried that the stitches might come loose, but in the hand, they feel pretty solid and they offer a nice tactile feeling when carried.  

It feels nerdy, but as long as we're all here talking about clothes on a message board, I want to mention how much I enjoy the zipper in particular: On an all-leather product, anything that is not leather draws focus. The zipper is really heavy duty, and like the handles, has a pleasant tactile feeling when used. I can tell some thought about the appearance and longevity of the zipper went into the choice. I also appreciate the fact that the color of the zipper matches the nickel hardware and there isn't some odd off-color variance between the elements.


I am really excited about returning to using a leather briefcase, particularly one that is visually appealing and light enough to walk around all day with in New York City. I will post some "in the wild" pics after the holidays when I get back.  


post #6994 of 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxo View Post

I had been keeping an eye on the Rancourt X Frank Clegg briefcase for about 8 months (before they re-released it with new leathers), waiting to find the right time and money pick it up. When Rancourt emailed out a 15% coupon for accessories over the weekend I seized the opportunity.

My previous (and first) leather briefcase was from Custom Hide. The Custom Hide bag is nice in its own right and is solidly constructed but is so heavy and bulky that it is nearly unusable on a daily basis. There was also an issue with the finishing process with the leather and the dye from the bag was transferring to my pants (and ruining them). So the Custom Hide briefcase got shelved after only a couple of months of use. 


anyway- about the RxFC briefcase:
I am really impressed with the craftsmanship, which I guess I should have expected coming from Rancourt and the venerable Frank Clegg. I am not used to the leather they used, which I guess has more of a "break" and creases more than I imagined. It leaves some panels with creases inconsistent to the rest. For example, the leather panels on the upper quarter of the bag are more heavily creased on one side than the other. I imagine this is a natural variation in the leathers used and that with use, the whole bag will crease in areas and look quite uniform. I'm probably just being a little OCD because it's something I just bought. Anyone with more experience in using leather briefcases, feel free to chime in on their age.

In any case, the leather is very soft, very light, and by contrast is about 1/3 the weight compared to Custom Hide. Actually, the RxFC bag is lighter than it looks, so I'm very optimistic about daily use. The RxFC bag is also visually striking, with hidden seems and a slim profile, which give it a sleek silhouette. The stitched handles give the bag a variance in the aesthetic and if I understand the website correctly, is Rancourt's nod to their handsewn work. I am slightly worried that the stitches might come loose, but in the hand, they feel pretty solid and they offer a nice tactile feeling when carried.  


It feels nerdy, but as long as we're all here talking about clothes on a message board, I want to mention how much I enjoy the zipper in particular: On an all-leather product, anything that is not leather draws focus. The zipper is really heavy duty, and like the handles, has a pleasant tactile feeling when used. I can tell some thought about the appearance and longevity of the zipper went into the choice. I also appreciate the fact that the color of the zipper matches the nickel hardware and there isn't some odd off-color variance between the elements.


I am really excited about returning to using a leather briefcase, particularly one that is visually appealing and light enough to walk around all day with in New York City. I will post some "in the wild" pics after the holidays when I get back.  



Not to go off the rails, but as an owner of a Lawyer's Briefcase from Frank Clegg, don't worry about creasing and/or stains. The leather will develop a beautiful patina, and as long as it isn't abused, that patina will ultimately look better than the leather you received as "new." I recall my own OCD upon receipt of my briefcase, and after exchanging some messages with Frank himself, I learned to just enjoy the natural beauty of the full grain leather no matter how it aged.

Enjoy your piece and use it in good health.
post #6995 of 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post


Not to go off the rails, but as an owner of a Lawyer's Briefcase from Frank Clegg, don't worry about creasing and/or stains. The leather will develop a beautiful patina, and as long as it isn't abused, that patina will ultimately look better than the leather you received as "new." I recall my own OCD upon receipt of my briefcase, and after exchanging some messages with Frank himself, I learned to just enjoy the natural beauty of the full grain leather no matter how it aged.

Enjoy your piece and use it in good health.

That is a relief to hear. Thank you for sharing your experience with your briefcase. I have not been sure if I should be concerned or not, because other than that unknown the bag is a luxurious piece of work. Good to know it will age beautifully. 

post #6996 of 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxo View Post

That is a relief to hear. Thank you for sharing your experience with your briefcase. I have not been sure if I should be concerned or not, because other than that unknown the bag is a luxurious piece of work. Good to know it will age beautifully. 

Frank assured me that he sincerely wished that he was able to deliver the leather to his customers in a way that looked as though it had been loved for years. My bag is used daily over the last year, and while it no longer looks pristine, it certainly has developed character. I honestly expect it to last my entire career (plus frank will repair and recondition the bag at your request). Enjoy!
post #6997 of 7403
Also...I'm still waiting on my Knox boots that I ordered from Huckberry. Anyone here order and receive those yet? Been impatiently waiting for over two months.
post #6998 of 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post


Not to go off the rails, but as an owner of a Lawyer's Briefcase from Frank Clegg, don't worry about creasing and/or stains. The leather will develop a beautiful patina, and as long as it isn't abused, that patina will ultimately look better than the leather you received as "new." I recall my own OCD upon receipt of my briefcase, and after exchanging some messages with Frank himself, I learned to just enjoy the natural beauty of the full grain leather no matter how it aged.

Enjoy your piece and use it in good health.

 

How leather changes as it ages is definitely one of the reasons I love buying it, The more you wear it, the more it grows on you 

post #6999 of 7403


#TeamBisonClymer

 

Been wearing these pretty much daily.

 

So glad I got them after being on the fence for over a year.

post #7000 of 7403

So I ordered the Beefroll Penny Loafers last summer in a 10.5D.  To give you an idea of some of my sizes and how all over they can be:

 

11.5D in AE Strands

10 in Alden Barrie Last

11 in Alder Aberdeen Last

11.5 in Ascis Matflex Shoes (shoes for wrestling so they are fitted).

 

I have a long lean foot.  In some Nikes I can wear 12s with socks easily.  My loafers stretched considerably, to the point that there is full slippage if I wear no socks.  I could easily get them off my foot.  No show socks are a struggle.  Thicker socks for winter work perfect with this though and regular socks give me minor slippage.  For this reason I tend to wear these for fall/winter and being in Texas a heavy loafer like the Beefrolls aren't the most appropriate.  But I would like to wear them early spring.

 

What do you guys recommend though for someone like experiencing slippage like this?  I will show you examples

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for the help guys! Gorgeous shoe BTW just wish I could get them a smidge size down :)

post #7001 of 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantone View Post

So I ordered the Beefroll Penny Loafers last summer in a 10.5D.  To give you an idea of some of my sizes and how all over they can be:

11.5D in AE Strands
10 in Alden Barrie Last
11 in Alder Aberdeen Last
11.5 in Ascis Matflex Shoes (shoes for wrestling so they are fitted).

I have a long lean foot.  In some Nikes I can wear 12s with socks easily.  My loafers stretched considerably, to the point that there is full slippage if I wear no socks.  I could easily get them off my foot.  No show socks are a struggle.  Thicker socks for winter work perfect with this though and regular socks give me minor slippage.  For this reason I tend to wear these for fall/winter and being in Texas a heavy loafer like the Beefrolls aren't the most appropriate.  But I would like to wear them early spring.

What do you guys recommend though for someone like experiencing slippage like this?  I will show you examples




Thanks for the help guys! Gorgeous shoe BTW just wish I could get them a smidge size down smile.gif

That is strange. For comparison I wear 8.5 in Barrie and take the same size in a pair of Rancourt tassel loafers (which should fit similar to your pennies). Barries in 8.5 fit me very comfortably - nearly to the point of being too roomy. My Rancourt loafers were insanely tight out of the box and though they have stretched after 18 months, they're still most comfortable sock less (which is how I usually wear them anyway). That's very curious.
post #7002 of 7403
A work from home day calls for Sashiko time!!!
post #7003 of 7403
So I picked up the Rancourt saddle buffalo penny loafers made for Bill's in my normal 11.5D. This is my first experience with buffalo. Do these stretch considerably? Right out of the box they feel pretty tight across the vamp and just seem a little shorter and more narrow than my other 11.5D's. Before giving them to my brother, who has smaller feet, just wanted to check to see if it's worth trying to break them in. If they'll stretch and mold quite a bit, they could be a good summer, sockless shoe.
post #7004 of 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidrothchild View Post

So I picked up the Rancourt saddle buffalo penny loafers made for Bill's in my normal 11.5D. This is my first experience with buffalo. Do these stretch considerably? Right out of the box they feel pretty tight across the vamp and just seem a little shorter and more narrow than my other 11.5D's. Before giving them to my brother, who has smaller feet, just wanted to check to see if it's worth trying to break them in. If they'll stretch and mold quite a bit, they could be a good summer, sockless shoe.

my guess is if they're unlined, they will stretch quite a bit. a coworker had a pair of bison loafers and found them stretching quite a bit. we lined our recent bison shoes mostly to prevent this.

hope yours work out!
post #7005 of 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljlakers View Post


That is strange. For comparison I wear 8.5 in Barrie and take the same size in a pair of Rancourt tassel loafers (which should fit similar to your pennies). Barries in 8.5 fit me very comfortably - nearly to the point of being too roomy. My Rancourt loafers were insanely tight out of the box and though they have stretched after 18 months, they're still most comfortable sock less (which is how I usually wear them anyway). That's very curious.

 

I kinda feel that I perhaps should have gotten them in a 10D but they may have been crazy tight.  I wouldn't have known that given I was going by my other sizes though :)  Maybe a sizing issue?

 

Maybe I will get a tongue pad or something.  Wearing them with thick socks now they are real comfortable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine