or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine - Page 176

post #2626 of 5247

Never knew about the plastic in the toe.  Thanks for the wisdom.

post #2627 of 5247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Thought he was doing it to make them last longer.  Not saying that lined shell lasts longer than unlined, but I thought it would make them retain their shape more.

Unlined is great too.  What do you think that the reason is for the default no lining?  I always assumed it was partially lined, but I don't own a pair, so perhaps you would know.

I ordered the green shell ranger mocs unlined because I wanted them to be a little lighter for the summer. Also, I find that my unlined Alden suede PTB is incredibly comfortable.
post #2628 of 5247
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

^ Plain-toe boots/shoes are always at least partially lined, because there is a piece of plastic in the toe that helps the toe hold shape. They would only be completely unlined if they were a unconstructed. So that piece of leather in there is to hold the plastic in place. Moc-toe shoes aren't partially lined, because they don't need anything to add toe structure, the stitching holds the toe shape.

That's a good point. The two unlined shells I have from Rancourt are handsewn and completely unlined. That being said, I think my unlined Alden shell PTB is completely unlined as well, and without an insert to keep the toe shape. I'll have to check.

I've wondered whether the toe of lined handsewns would retain shape better. The unlined toe kind of collapses, which isn't bad at all and in fact right for the style IMO, but I still I also like a loafer with a high toe box (a la Alden LHS or, sorry for the apparent plug, the Vass loafers in my signature that are sadly too narrow for me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefner View Post

I ordered the green shell ranger mocs unlined because I wanted them to be a little lighter for the summer. Also, I find that my unlined Alden suede PTB is incredibly comfortable.

Unlined shell is definitely lighter and works well for warmer weather. Supper comfortable too.
post #2629 of 5247
#8 beefrolls:

post #2630 of 5247
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post

#8 beefrolls:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Now I see why you might have a problem working the #8 Ranger Mocs into your rotation.

 

Great looking shoe by the way.

post #2631 of 5247
I've been lurking the Rancourt website and this thread for a while and am close to pulling the trigger on some Ranger Moc's. I came across some information that might be helpful to forum members with larger shoes sizes while speaking to one of their customer service reps. In the Made to order styes, they only offer up to a size 13, but was informed that they would likely be able to make a 14, but not in the camp moc sole or boat sole. I'm waiting to hear back about a quote, but not quite sure what kind of sole offerings there are. Maybe someone could fill me in on that. I believe the Reltex Lactea Havea sole is what would be put on there.
post #2632 of 5247
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post


The apparent lack of upcharge on shell is interesting. I doubt the margin can be that much better on shell considering the cost of materials.
I like the green shell a lot, but so far it doesn't show the inclination to age the way #8 does. That's one reason I'd consider owning both. I like the prospect of the tempest sole on the #8s too.

I thought the tempest sole looked pretty good also, leather but just the right amount of rubber in the right places.

post #2633 of 5247
Y'all see the new Baxter Ranger Moc today? Finally a way to get the Aspen sole a little cheaper than a custom order. I'm seriously thinking about ordering a pair in brown cxl.
post #2634 of 5247

I think the yellow aspen would look good on some green shell or cxl, but couldn't get enough use out of it to justify purchase.

 

Let us know how the aspen feels if you do pull the trigger.

post #2635 of 5247
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD521 View Post

Y'all see the new Baxter Ranger Moc today? Finally a way to get the Aspen sole a little cheaper than a custom order. I'm seriously thinking about ordering a pair in brown cxl.

Almost looks like they are coming out with enough variations so one would be less likely to require a custom configuration.

post #2636 of 5247

I have a question for the Rancourt fans. I have to admit these are beautiful shoes...many are a twist on classic designs and I always love that. I have to decide whether I am going to want a camp-moc or a Ranger moc or a Chukka or a boat shoe first. I have a pair of Quaddy Dawson Mocs and while I love them, from what I can see, Rancourt is doing so many really great things that I cannot resist a pair.

 

Looking at many of the photos in this thread I do notice that in several photos there appears to be a good deal of break that develops across the uppers. Sometimes that is the sign of a poorly constructed or an ill fitting shoe. I am going to dismiss poorly constructed out of hand. It does not take much to recognize that this are very well made of very high quality materials. The only times it has ever happened to me with high quality shoes was because I missed on the sizing. It has happened to me when I go just slightly too large in the sizing. My foot then tends to "roll" the leather of the uppers forward as I walk and that ends up creating a pretty big break across the upper.

 

Sometimes I don't wonder if a good deal of break will develop because the shoe leather is so heavy. As I said it has only happened to me when I have missed on the size. So outside of that, I don't really know why it happens with such a high quality pair of shoes. I don't know if everybody is using shoe trees in their Rancourts but I consider shoe trees a must to protect high quality shoes, really critical while breaking them in. Anyway, is it difficult to get these broken in to your specific feet before some heavy breaks appear across the uppers? Does anybody have an opinion about why some pretty serous breaks do appear across the uppers in several photos? This by the way is not a criticism either of the maker or the shoe owners. I don't know enough about the Rancourts and from what I see these things are beauties. Granted, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. However as I said earlier, I love to see twists on classic shoe designs and some of these styles are just breathtaking. Rancourt seems to do some great things particularly with color for example.

 

Rancourts are a shoe type that can take a fairly plane pair of chinos and turn them into a fashion statement when finished at the bottom with something as beautiful as these shoes.

post #2637 of 5247
Out of curiosity, how have people sized differently with loafers vs. boat shoes/rangers? I have 9EE CXL boat shoes and Rangers, and they both fit like a glove, a 9.5D in suede chukkas snugly, but they've formed to my foot. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on shell #8 loafers and trying to decide whether I should go for the same size, or a half size up, since rangers/boat shoes acommodate a higher insole. But, conversely, they also allow you to snug up any looseness, which is a fear of mine if these end up being a bit too large.

Also, any experience with how Rancourt's loafers compare to Allen Edmonds 114 last, or Aldens loafers? I found that the 114 last is noticeably smaller than Aldens, I wear 9.5EEE in the 114, and 9EE fits fine in Aldens. Also, it looks to my eye that Rancourt makes the AE 114s, so that compounds it a bit more.
post #2638 of 5247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jung View Post

I have a question for the Rancourt fans. I have to admit these are beautiful shoes...many are a twist on classic designs and I always love that. I have to decide whether I am going to want a camp-moc or a Ranger moc or a Chukka or a boat shoe first. I have a pair of Quaddy Dawson Mocs and while I love them, from what I can see, Rancourt is doing so many really great things that I cannot resist a pair.

 

Looking at many of the photos in this thread I do notice that in several photos there appears to be a good deal of break that develops across the uppers. Sometimes that is the sign of a poorly constructed or an ill fitting shoe. I am going to dismiss poorly constructed out of hand. It does not take much to recognize that this are very well made of very high quality materials. The only times it has ever happened to me with high quality shoes was because I missed on the sizing. It has happened to me when I go just slightly too large in the sizing. My foot then tends to "roll" the leather of the uppers forward as I walk and that ends up creating a pretty big break across the upper.

 

Sometimes I don't wonder if a good deal of break will develop because the shoe leather is so heavy. As I said it has only happened to me when I have missed on the size. So outside of that, I don't really know why it happens with such a high quality pair of shoes. I don't know if everybody is using shoe trees in their Rancourts but I consider shoe trees a must to protect high quality shoes, really critical while breaking them in. Anyway, is it difficult to get these broken in to your specific feet before some heavy breaks appear across the uppers? Does anybody have an opinion about why some pretty serous breaks do appear across the uppers in several photos? This by the way is not a criticism either of the maker or the shoe owners. I don't know enough about the Rancourts and from what I see these things are beauties. Granted, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. However as I said earlier, I love to see twists on classic shoe designs and some of these styles are just breathtaking. Rancourt seems to do some great things particularly with color for example.

 

Rancourts are a shoe type that can take a fairly plane pair of chinos and turn them into a fashion statement when finished at the bottom with something as beautiful as these shoes.

Not sure specifically which pics you are referring to, but it is possible it might just be a characteristic of the type of leather.  (Shell and CXL).  Also, maybe because the shoes are unlined?  Or differences in feet or differences in the way that people walk causing differences in the amount of creasing?  Or people not using trees because these are their beater shoes?

post #2639 of 5247
So just heard back from rancourt. First off the loafers are the 114 last vs the rangers on the 800. So glad I know that I'll size up.

But I asked about getting tempest instead of leather and was quoted a $60 up charge. Seeing as the leather is already $50 on top of rubber from the products they have on their site, I replied via email with some skepticism. No way is tempest $110 more than a rubber sole. Hopefully reason will prevail, because that is absurd.
post #2640 of 5247
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdahab View Post

So just heard back from rancourt. First off the loafers are the 114 last vs the rangers on the 800. So glad I know that I'll size up.

But I asked about getting tempest instead of leather and was quoted a $60 up charge. Seeing as the leather is already $50 on top of rubber from the products they have on their site, I replied via email with some skepticism. No way is tempest $110 more than a rubber sole. Hopefully reason will prevail, because that is absurd.

Is the MTO fee in that $60, or have you already made changes before asking about the tempest sole and had the charge added on as a result?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine