or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine - Page 114

post #1696 of 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Bakes,

 

did you do true white stitching? or what Rancourt calls tan?

White, the first pair they missed that detail and gave me brown, so I had them make me a new pair.

 

Think they also may have mistakenly used CXL on the first pair too.

post #1697 of 5253

Bakes,

 

I love the contrast stitching on your boot but what concerns me about the ranger moc as compared to the blake boot is the toe box. Your boot has no stitching across the toe box and so it much more of an accent, I am concerned on the ranger moc that it may stand out too much if that makes sense? 

post #1698 of 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post


I think the antique brass eyelets would look good with the overall brown color tone of your proposal. Contrast stitching looks right to me on a shoe like this, and I agree with Grendel that the overall makeup is pretty casual, even with Shell cordovan as the material.

By the way, these are going to be great shoes.

Thanks for the recommendation and nice words. I am excited for them as well!

post #1699 of 5253

BTW, here is the second makeup I am doing. It is a much more casual spring/fall makeup.

 

 

Camp Moc:
Navy CXL
Brick Red Camp Sole
White stitching - baseball style stitch
Chestnut leather laces
Gunmetal eyelets
Unlined
 
It should look very similar to this

 

post #1700 of 5253
Has anyone owned both Rancourt and Oak Street bootmakers to compare over the long-term?

I really like the look of both, but since I can't find a store that actually carries these I'm stuck with the interwebs. I do like the Rancourt price-point, but not sure if they are cutting corners that Oak Street isn't.
post #1701 of 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Bakes,

 

I love the contrast stitching on your boot but what concerns me about the ranger moc as compared to the blake boot is the toe box. Your boot has no stitching across the toe box and so it much more of an accent, I am concerned on the ranger moc that it may stand out too much if that makes sense? 

your concerns are legitimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrooted View Post

Has anyone owned both Rancourt and Oak Street bootmakers to compare over the long-term?

I really like the look of both, but since I can't find a store that actually carries these I'm stuck with the interwebs. I do like the Rancourt price-point, but not sure if they are cutting corners that Oak Street isn't.

Can't say that I've owned both, but based on the two pairs of Rancourts that I have bought, they do not seem to be cutting any corners.  I like Rancourt's designs a little better than OSB.  More plain/classic IMO.  To me OSB's look a little more angular and modern.

post #1702 of 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrooted View Post

Has anyone owned both Rancourt and Oak Street bootmakers to compare over the long-term?

I really like the look of both, but since I can't find a store that actually carries these I'm stuck with the interwebs. I do like the Rancourt price-point, but not sure if they are cutting corners that Oak Street isn't.

I own both (Navy Camp boot from OSB and beefroll loafer in Natural CXL from Rancourt) and can assure you that both are of very high quality. I am 95% positive that Rancourt makes OSB's shoes for them...

post #1703 of 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I own both (Navy Camp boot from OSB and beefroll loafer in Natural CXL from Rancourt) and can assure you that both are of very high quality. I am 95% positive that Rancourt makes OSB's shoes for them...

I don't know if Rancourt makes Oak Street Bootmakers shoes or not but if they did I would order this boot in shell today....

 

http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/natural-captoe-trench-boot

post #1704 of 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikid View Post

I don't know if Rancourt makes Oak Street Bootmakers shoes or not but if they did I would order this boot in shell today....

 

http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/natural-captoe-trench-boot

I believe the Trench boot is made in New York and all other OSB models in Maine but I am not positive

post #1705 of 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I believe the Trench boot is made in New York and all other OSB models in Maine but I am not positive

Looks a lot like a Wolverine, doesn't it?  

post #1706 of 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrooted View Post

Has anyone owned both Rancourt and Oak Street bootmakers to compare over the long-term?

I really like the look of both, but since I can't find a store that actually carries these I'm stuck with the interwebs. I do like the Rancourt price-point, but not sure if they are cutting corners that Oak Street isn't.

 

I have both, but only since last year so I can't give you a long-term review. I'd say they are of equal quality of materials and manufacture. I don't believe Rancourt makes for OSB, though. 

post #1707 of 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikid View Post

I don't know if Rancourt makes Oak Street Bootmakers shoes or not but if they did I would order this boot in shell today....

 

http://oakstreetbootmakers.com/footwear/natural-captoe-trench-boot

Slightly different captoe but I bet this would look awesome in a navy or dark green shell...

 

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/hamilton-boot-dark-brown-bulldog.html

post #1708 of 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Slightly different captoe but I bet this would look awesome in a navy or dark green shell...

 

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/hamilton-boot-dark-brown-bulldog.html

I agree....might be something to think about in the future...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Looks a lot like a Wolverine, doesn't it?  

It does, and the shape reminds me very much of a plain toe boot on the Alden Modified last

post #1709 of 5253
On the Oak Street thread there's a photo comparison of the Trench boot with the Wolverine, and they're clearly not the same thing. I frankly think the trench is the nicest by far of that genre of boot. It's the least bulbous. The Wolverine at least is much nicer than the Red Wing. The Hamilton doesn't do much for me, but I'd like to see more pictures of the non-shell versions.

I've read a lot about OSB and R, and everyone insists that they are not made by the same people...the factories might even be next door to one another, but not the same. I've also seen nothing to suggest that either is in any way inferior. I appreciate the slightly lower prices at Rancourt, though. I wish they didn't compete so directly, since I'm rooting for both companies and their owners to thrive.
post #1710 of 5253
Whoever makes OSB, consider that they are a reseller, while you are buying direct from Rancourt via its Website. This difference is neither good nor bad, but it may explain in part the difference in prices.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine