or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine - Page 112

post #1666 of 4992
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I think the RLH is quite informal and would look fine with shorts

I agree with this. RLH will be well suited to wear with shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Hudson View Post

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

Do you have a ranger moc with a midsole, or is yours the more standard issue? I'm assuming that the midsole adds a lot to the support and comfort for walking, but maybe that isn't so.

One drawback of ordering from Australia is that shipping cost iirc $28. Another is that it precludes using their sizing program. I'm always confident when buying Allen Edmonds in 9, and my camp-mocs are 9, so I'm hoping that a 9 ranger-moc will work. I'm a little nervous though, esp. because of my concern about the lining.

Yes, in fact I have a Ranger Moc with a midsole and a suede chukka with a midsole. Seems to be standard issue with the RLH and the crepe outsoles.

Both look more or less like this (I know I keep reposting this photo, but it seems pertinent to the topic at hand...)

P1020500.jpg

I'm not sure the midsole really adds anything extra to the support and comfort. In fact, on one or two descriptions on the Rancourt site, I've seen the phrase "aesthetic leather midsole," which leads me to believe it's not doing much of anything at all. Not sure if some are aesthetic and others functional or what.

And sorry. I didn't realize you were one of our antipodean friends. The fit program probably isn't quite as useful then. I will say that the lined suede chukka I have in 11D (my technical true size, though I am a border line E width it seems) is snug. It's fine sockless, after a short break-in period, and I can wear it with thing socks, but anything too much and it gets to be a tight squeeze. Which is to say that I think your fears about 9D lined Ranger Moc may have some foundation. Going out a width is an option since you will be able to lace these up and you could always add a tongue pad or thing insole to take up any slight excess in room. I have a pair of 11E beefroll loafers and I use a tongue pad in them. That might be your best bet since the length is already good and going up .5 size to get more room might change the fit there for the worse (and I think would end up giving you essentially 9E in width anyway, if you see. That may be a little too simplistic, but I think it is about right).

They do have lasts with differences in fit (loafer vs. lace-up), but that may be introducing one too many variables.
post #1667 of 4992
Now that I have ordered the caramel shell penny loafer was wondering if any one else has it love to see some real life pictures.
post #1668 of 4992
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post



I'm not sure the midsole really adds anything extra to the support and comfort. In fact, on one or two descriptions on the Rancourt site, I've seen the phrase "aesthetic leather midsole," which leads me to believe it's not doing much of anything at all. Not sure if some are aesthetic and others functional or what.

 

I think the purpose of the midsole is to fix the RLH sole on to. So the midsole is stitched to the Moc and the sole is presumably glued on to the midsole. It is also aesthetically pleasing hence the phrase. 

post #1669 of 4992
Does anyone have a pic of a beefroll loafer with RLH? I've never worn a loafer before and worry about its comfort if I do a lot of walking. I was thinking that RLH might preserve some of the dressier look but add to the comfort. Crepe, I think, is going too far towards the casual side of things.
post #1670 of 4992
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Office Hack View Post

Does anyone have a pic of a beefroll loafer with RLH? I've never worn a loafer before and worry about its comfort if I do a lot of walking. I was thinking that RLH might preserve some of the dressier look but add to the comfort. Crepe, I think, is going too far towards the casual side of things.

I'm not sure if the RLH will really look much dressier, although perhaps using a dark color will help. One difference I see is that the crepe sole I have turned black on the bottom right away from picking up grime from the sidewalks and streets. The RLH seems to hold its color better.
post #1671 of 4992
RLH definitely looks dressier than a crepe sole to me (especially a crepe wedge sole) although perhaps not dressy in the absolute sense.
post #1672 of 4992
So perhaps I should stick to leather and maybe put RLH on a ranger moc. I guess what I'm looking for is something that is both good for walking and sartorially versatile, ie ok sock less with shorts, with jeans, and with nice chinos.
post #1673 of 4992

What's the lowest-profile Lactae Hevea sole they've got? Anyone seen any shoes with that new sole they showed on Facebook?

post #1674 of 4992
I must confess I'm very tempted by the navy beefroll on the BB site, although I keep telling myself that I should save my money and focus on a CXL #8 or brown for a penny loafer. Navy's for people who already have a dk brown or burgundy. Thoughts?
post #1675 of 4992

I Have my eye on the green ones on the BB site. They are a hell of a deal...

post #1676 of 4992
There's something to be said for the olive. Perhaps better looking with denim?

But still, isn't it safe to say that the #8 mops the floor with either color?

I should add: If I were to add up all the time I spent looking at Rancourt shoe p0rn, it would be deeply embarrassing.
post #1677 of 4992

I've got the olive in a ranger moc and it's a fabulous and very versatile color.

post #1678 of 4992
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I Have my eye on the green ones on the BB site. They are a hell of a deal...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Office Hack View Post

I must confess I'm very tempted by the navy beefroll on the BB site, although I keep telling myself that I should save my money and focus on a CXL #8 or brown for a penny loafer. Navy's for people who already have a dk brown or burgundy. Thoughts

I wish they had my size. actually no I am glad the didn't. I order the shell caramel a couple of weeks ago and the wife talked me into the color 8 shell yesterday. I need a break

post #1679 of 4992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post

 

 

I wish they had my size. actually no I am glad the didn't. I order the shell caramel a couple of weeks ago and the wife talked me into the color 8 shell yesterday. I need a break

 

This doesn't make sense... it looks like English but it doesn't compute

post #1680 of 4992
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

This doesn't make sense... it looks like English but it doesn't compute

Particularly the part about one's wife talking one into buying shell. I--and I suspect most of us--practically have to hide our purchases from our spouses. It is a little awkward that I am far more into shoes than my wife. And then there's the question of blowing budgets...

Anyway, am I correct in thinking that if one is to buy one's first loafer, it should be a #8, if not a brown?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine