• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&M x Lanvin Collaboration

Wupper

Reaction score
H&M has just confirmed that its next designer collaboration will be with Lanvin! The collection for both men and women will be designed by Lanvin's artistic director Alber Elbaz, and menswear designer Lucas Ossendrijver, and is slated to go on sale on November 23 in around 200 H&M stores worldwide.

"H&M approached us to collaborate, and see if we could translate the dream we created at Lanvin to a wider audience, not just a dress for less. I have said in the past that I would never do a mass-market collection, but what intrigued me was the idea of H&M going luxury rather than Lanvin going public. This has been an exceptional exercise, where two companies at opposite poles can work together because we share the same philosophy of bringing joy and beauty to men and women around the world." Alber Elbaz, artistic director of Lanvin.

"We are thrilled about Lanvin's collection for H&M, it is such an exciting moment. Lanvin will bring to H&M a luxurious French tradition that is also modern and playful. It is very much a Lanvin collection, using their cut and tailoring, with lots of focus on form and details for both women and men. The launch in November is going to be full of wonderful surprises." Margareta van den Bosch, creative advisor at H&M.

On November 2, the collection will be revealed to the world, just three weeks before the clothes hit the store, and I'm sure it will be one of the most anticipated event of the year! This is beyond amazing, check out the video featuring Alber Elbaz after the jump...

http://www.freshnessmag.com/2010/09/...boration-2010/

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wupper

"H&M approached us to collaborate, and see if we could translate the dream we created at Lanvin to a wider audience, not just a dress for less. I have said in the past that I would never do a mass-market collection, but what intrigued me was the idea of alot of money, especially because luxury is a pretty hard sell at the moment. This has been an exceptional exercise, where two companies at opposite poles can work together because we share the same philosophy of bringing joy and beauty to men and women around the world." Alber Elbaz, artistic director of Lanvin.

Had to fix that one.

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
I wonder if they'll do sneakers.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, in a cost cutting measure, they will use the old sole.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
they'll do sneakers outsourced to the chinese factories that make lanvin fakes and sell them for $200 a pop

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
november 2 is the domestic launch date of the "film" that reveals the full collection, with it hitting 200 h&m stores three weeks after. international customers will have to wait until november 23.

menswear designer lucas ossendrijver is involved in the collection and per h&m's creative director: "lanvin will bring to h&m a luxurious french tradition that is also modern and playful. It is very much a lanvin collection, using their cut and tailoring, with lots of focus on form and details for both women and men."

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seems an odd collab to me, moreso than any other I've ever heard. Lanvin is about luxury and superlative fabrics, at an extreme pricepoint. It seems to me to lose its luster, appeal, and interest if you make it "public."

Sort of like "Hermes for Zara" or something. Jil sander for Uniqlo... I can see it. McQueen for Target, etc. I can get and see the appeal. But, Lanvin?

I'm interested in seeing it and may pick something up, but I'm very surprised at this move, especially seeing as how Lanvin's history of licensing, lack of menswear clout (until recently), has made them be very careful about image. If this is an attempt to broaden brand appeal/name recognition, it's not going to work well, because the kids buying H&M aren't suddenly going to switch over and buy $900 pairs of slacks.

That OR Lanvin lowers its own price point and sacrifices what made it unique. This will sell well, but still seems an odd choice.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
^Really? When someone posted McQueen for target I thought it was some sort of cosmic joke, that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

At the very least I can sort of see a near-harmony between what H&M puts out and what Lanvin does in terms of the clothes themselves. I can see Lanvin taking what H&M has at its disposal and using to to good effect, and the clothes won't look like they don't belong in an H&M store. I agree with you about the brand identity, though.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A cash grab, which I may very well end up contributing to.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
^Really? When someone posted McQueen for target I thought it was some sort of cosmic joke, that makes no sense to me whatsoever.
I can still see it more than Lanvin, though. As well, an individual, younger designer choosing to do a collab seems slightly different than a whole "brand" doing it, especially one with as long a history as Lanvin, but whose recent menswear history has been so carefully crafted after a history of lackluster afterhoughts and overlicensing. Again, just seems odd to me. I'm not against it and will check it out, but it just seems like "designer collabs" are the 21st century equivalent to those 1980's licenses "YSL Ashtrays," "Dior baby diapers," "Versace V2 Sport Jeans Collection Exchange."

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uh, hope for the best, but its probably gonna be mostly **** stuff.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see the collection. It will probably sell out with half being resole on b/s or ebay.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the idea :p

Scooba

Reaction score
It's like when Toyota started Scion to lure in younger buyers that would hopefully buy Toyotas as they got older. Most younger people have probably never heard of Lanvin so now they will know the name and hopefully become Lanvin buyers in the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads