or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Spending $5k on suits
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Spending $5k on suits - Page 3

post #31 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor View Post
chaisingred: thx for the advice and time. This board goes way off topic and threads in the 15 page range are not unusual. For someone like me (no time to waste at the moment) I can't afford it. I think I will take it slow and read a little once I'm done with the bar. Still, I feel this place is not the best to learn. Unless you got tons of time to waste. Search function is useless with so much information.

You must be using the search function poorly. I get everything I need from the search bars (try advanced searches, not Google searches).

Also, you can probably reduce the number of flames on this thread by not shitting on the place you're trying to get information from. Just a little common sense.
post #32 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius69 View Post

You are mean!

In that case, I recommand dropping those a few K on hookers before bespoke clothes.
post #33 of 83
One way that I save a a lot on the amount of time to read things here is to read only my own posts.

This cuts down on a bit over half of the posts here.


- B
post #34 of 83
Thread Starter 
lol. true. but I'm sure everybody's aware that threads here, on average, are huge! Like 2x as long as any other forum I've been to.
post #35 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor View Post
Regarding suits: there is a local fashion designer who is a friend of my family (and mine). He has a lot of style and is famous in these neck of the woods. I thought that instead of me wasting my precious time reading about what makes a suit 'good', that I'd ask him to make me 4-5 suits. Is this a good idea?

This guy designs clothes for the rich and famous in my country. I think he's very stylish. But I'm not sure I should spend $5k at once without having a clue if I'll like the suits.

Whether this 'fashion designer' is able to produce suits which are suitable for a professional environment entirely depends on his abilities. Many fashion designers are barely more than doodlers, who make sketches that other people have to then produce. Even if he can actually make a suit, it is likely to be more 'fashion forward' than might be appropriate...
post #36 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
One way that I save a a lot on the amount of time to read things here is to read only my own posts.

This cuts down on a bit over half of the posts here.


- B

Good advice.


- B
post #37 of 83
Thread Starter 
Oh, it's not about getting laid. It's about not having to spend money on a woman. That's the reason I mentioned no wife and no GF. But I guess I'll be made fun of no matter what I say from now on. Is it because I want to spend $5k on suits? Is it because I said I'm a lawyer when I'm not? Is it because I said the threads here are too long? Or are you guys just releasing your anger towards me so that you don't have to beat up your wife?
post #38 of 83
Richard Pryor, I'll put together a report on all of the Styleforum approved clothing options for you. I'm not an attorney, so I have the time. Expect the report soon, including a one page exec. summary. I won't cite references because I might want to watch TV later and that takes time.

Stay tuned.
post #39 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-H View Post
Richard Pryor, I'll put together a report on all of the Styleforum approved clothing options for you. I'm not an attorney, so I have the time. Expect the report soon, including a one page exec. summary. I won't cite references because I might want to watch TV later and that takes time.

Stay tuned.

Please do cite references and please use the Bluebook format.
post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
What's a good age to start making law?




- B

How old was Stallone when he made Judge Dredd?

Because, he is the law.

post #41 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor View Post
Oh, it's not about getting laid. It's about not having to spend money on a woman. That's the reason I mentioned no wife and no GF. But I guess I'll be made fun of no matter what I say from now on. Is it because I want to spend $5k on suits? Is it because I said I'm a lawyer when I'm not? Is it because I said the threads here are too long? Or are you guys just releasing your anger towards me so that you don't have to beat up your wife?
You've gone to introspection in seven posts, which is a StyleForvm record for heterosexuals and celibates. For those who are neither, the record stands at an amazing three posts. - B
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungoutt1 View Post
A Juris Doctor likewise does not make you a lawyer. He has a degree in law. He is not an attorney or a lawyer, or whatever you want to call it.

Pretty pointless, but you're wrong and the OP's right: a JD does make one a lawyer, just like an MD makes one a doc. It does indeed not mean one's licensed to practice law or medicine, but that's a different discussion. Stop being such a wannabe lawyer.
post #43 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungoutt1 View Post
Not at all. Most graduate from law schools around the age of 26-28. Just this year our school had its oldest graduate at 79. You have a Juris Doctor. That does not make you an attorney. Have to pass the bar exam.
this is so funny. find the fabric, have the tailor measure you, 4-16 weeks later you have something you like, but more importantly FITS. dont spend to much time looking at off the rack stuff unless you are semi-stupid (didnt get a scholarship) and have over 100K in loans. look, assuming you pass the bar you will be working 12-14 hours a day for at least two years. trust me, your suits (good or bad) will be the last of your worries? you doing defense or civil?
post #44 of 83
RP,

you're getting hazed. keep your cool and your sense of humor, and you might eventually see a glimmer of light.

short answer to your question -- bad idea. don't blow massive amounts of money if you don't have an informed point of view on what you want and what constitutes a good suit.

finally, don't expect a ton of goodwill if you open up with statements that you don't have the time to do your research. make an attempt at doing some legwork. failing that, ask nicely and dial down the sense of entitlement.

good luck.
post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxgenius69 View Post
Please do cite references and please use the Bluebook format.

I prefer MLA format but it is really up to the OP. He is a lawyer after all, so his time is important.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Spending $5k on suits