or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 vs Rolex Submariner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 vs Rolex Submariner - Page 5

post #61 of 71
I know Bill Yao/Mk II has a lot of fans in the WIS community. I, for one, can't do the wait times for his creations, especially when one can get the real deal (a Watchco SM300) today, for less than one of his homages will cost whenever it is eventually released.
post #62 of 71

Bit late and bad angle - makes a 40mm look like a 47 - but this is an all original SM300 from the sixties. 

 

.DSC_0907-001.JPG

post #63 of 71
I have a Sub, but if I was looking for something to be different than the crowd, it is not like an Omega is going to get you there. Vintage diver watches are, I feel, getting more common than new Subs, at least here in NYC.

Go buy a UG Polerouter Sub or a vintage JLC Polaris Compressor if you want a dive watch with some cache.
post #64 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I have a Sub, but if I was looking for something to be different than the crowd, it is not like an Omega is going to get you there. Vintage diver watches are, I feel, getting more common than new Subs, at least here in NYC.
Go buy a UG Polerouter Sub or a vintage JLC Polaris Compressor if you want a dive watch with some cache.

Can you post pics to the model references you are talking about? The Polerouter Sub was face-lifted many times. I assume you are referring to the 60s divers that had the elapsed time moved from the bezel to under the acrylic crystal, with tiny dress watch hands? While this may be a differentiator to an SM300, it's arguably not a good one.
post #65 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysandar View Post

Bit late and bad angle - makes a 40mm look like a 47 - but this is an all original SM300 from the sixties. 

.350x467px-LL-ecf4bd83_DSC_0907-001.jpeg

Very nice.
post #66 of 71

60's are the time where Omega build the finest of all their lines, after that they start to falls and only getting better lately. Seamaster of that era definitely worth to try, will I take it over Sub? sure. Rolex notoriously famed for being inaccurate even if its sturdy built and can take any punishment

 

so, I pick my bet on Seamaster. personally, if its 60's Omega, I would take Constellation

post #67 of 71
Thread Starter 
Found this wrist shot of a Watchco SM300 online:

262
post #68 of 71


I have what I believe is a 1957 omega seamaster 300 all original. My grandfather recently gave me this watch and I was trying to find out more about it. He told me he got it in 1947 for $60. Though, through my research I think he got the dates mixed up and it looks like a 1957 to me. I took it to a couple of watchmakers and they were unable to tell me much about it. Help.
post #69 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by brado84 View Post


I have what I believe is a 1957 omega seamaster 300 all original. My grandfather recently gave me this watch and I was trying to find out more about it. He told me he got it in 1947 for $60. Though, through my research I think he got the dates mixed up and it looks like a 1957 to me. I took it to a couple of watchmakers and they were unable to tell me much about it. Help.

All of the hands look a bit off. They could have been replaced at some point from a broad arrow (or maybe they are just worn) as well as the bracelet doesn't appear to be original. Without better pictures it's hard to tell if the dial has been touched up also. Otherwise it looks like a nice vintage piece. I am sure someone here will know more about it.
post #70 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukerules View Post

I know Bill Yao/Mk II has a lot of fans in the WIS community. I, for one, can't do the wait times for his creations, especially when one can get the real deal (a Watchco SM300) today, for less than one of his homages will cost whenever it is eventually released.

I think Bill Yao / Mk II began taking preorders on the "Project 300" back in 2009!! And his Omega SM300 homage is still not in production yet -- 4.5 years later! Yao does appear to be active on his online forum though -- so I guess the watch is still being designed. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f325/project-300-dial-design-thread-reboot-683110-29.html
post #71 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurktwin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by westinghouse View Post
What moron would pay thousands for a stainless steel watch when you can have a solid 18k gold watch for tens of thousands?

I've only seen three of these in my life and one is on my wrist right now

So much for all that dime a dozen nonsense...

A lot of folks think gold sports watches are pretentious and masturbatory.

so funny, so true..   I see the solid and tt gold everywhere; usually on guys in PJs or sweat suits.  Never seen it on a stately, well dressed gentleman.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 vs Rolex Submariner