• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yellow or Purple pants.. Would you wear? What to match with? -PICS ADDED

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that this question is more relevant to the SW&D forum, but I value the opinion of this sub-forum more. So please view this in the context of casual wear. Thank you. I went to Zara yesterday in search of some slim-fitting trousers and being spoiled by Mabitex couldn't find anything that would make me happy. Disappointed, I was getting ready to leave and on the way out browsed through the sale rack. There I found two slim jeans that actually felt more like chinos. They fit perfectly aside from being a little long. Everything about them was great, even the price of $13. Except one thing... One pair was lemon-yellow and the other medium purple color. I bought them, since I figured they were cheap and I could always return them. Now I can't decide whether to keep them or not and what to pair them with. I was thinking for the yellow: dark brown shoes and some kind of shirt or polo, but I haven't decided what color yet. Something very subtle, since the pants are loud enough. For purple: probably black shoes and maybe a white shirt? What do you guys think? Would you wear something like that? What do you think looks good with those colors? P.S. I'm fairly skinny; tall; have a light complexion and dark red/brownish hair; and live in L.A, so it's always summer. P.P.S. OK, so I listened to some ideas here and here's what I tried. Sorry for the crappy pictures, my camera is not with me right now. Let me know what you think, please.
nohead.jpg
bodyb.jpg
feets.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shoes, browns would work with either I would think. I think you're right about the purple going with black too.

Shirts, I could see a lot of combos. For the purple, just about anything that's not too dark. Gray would be nice, but I would go browse around and just find some patterned sport shirts. White or blue oxfords and such too, tha'ts going to be the much more versitile of the two.

Yellow? I would go darker with the shirts. It's hard to find something blues won't go with, I would stick to those without seeing the exact shade. Navys and french blues, things along those lines. But I'm not really sure. I really don't wear much yellow, and I don't have a whole lot of experience matching it. Greens could work, but that's a really bold look.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Purple sounds hard to match with (for a man).

The Yellow is pretty easy, anything lighter in color should work. I would actually wear lighter colored shoes as well, making the pants the center piece XD

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Also, another question came up in my mind. What would be appropriate occasions to wear these pants to?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he's playing a gig here soon. I saw some ads. I should go just to wear these pants, I guess.

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
No: I'm all man. You should feel free to wear them though.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my purple trousers with tan shoes and a blue gingham shirt. I don't have any yellow trousers though, yellow is not a good colour on me.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could wear either pants with a dark blue sport jacket, especially one with window paning in red or magenta or orange.
Wear any shoes you like with black as a last resort. You could even wear spectators just for extra madness.
Casual belts are best. Grosgrain, weaves or any casual belt that will tie the shoes in with the rest.
Keep the shirt simple and light in colour. A button-down would be preferred, with or without a tie.
We want to see photos when you're ready with some combo's.!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear both in corduroy form. Mainly with light blue shirts and navy.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few outfits that I wear with my yellow pants. They are a fairly soft, pastel yellow which really opens up my options. I wear it often times with a white/blue check shirt and suede loafers.

I'm going to get chastised for this, but oh well, I'm a bigger proponent of style than fashion. I wear them a lot with a pair of black sandals, rolled to mid ankle and a black polo; the contrast between the three layers works quite well.

I have found that I am able to wear almost anything with the yellow. I have gone white oxford to brown patterned.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purple is so common it's the new grey.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I added some pictures. How's this combo? What do you guys think?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I added some pictures. How's this combo? What do you guys think?
Pic looks great! I bet a light blue gingham check shirt would look good too. Or just plain white, maybe. EDIT: I'd go with less formal shoes, though.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the criticism, but I have a hard time wearing less formal shoes with a jacket. I just can't do it. If I go with the shirt only then I'll probably wear something more casual.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics