or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quest for an inexpensive leather motorcycle jacket!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quest for an inexpensive leather motorcycle jacket!

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I'm looking for something like this: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...d=2&pid=768346 So: - Something modern, timeless, plain (no frills) - Black leather - Fashion oriented (not an actual motorcycle jacket) - On the softer side material-wise and the lighter side weight-wise (either light or light-medium, preferably light) - Thin arms for my well, thin arms - Short sleeve length for my short arms - Slim fit - Zippered front - Don't care if it has zippered cuffs or not - Don't care if it has a snap-button at the neck or not Might sound like a lot, but all I'm looking for in a nutshell, is just your plain, average, everyday black leather jacket with no frills for between $100-200. I don't care what brand it is, I just want that type of jacket and for it to fit well enough. I realize that this is a style forum and that what I'm looking for might be under priced, but I really want this type of leather jacket and am quite broke, but not broke enough to not be able to afford $100-200. I've looked everywhere on the internet and I can't find a simple, plain leather jacket anywhere except this one. There's got to be something out there, and something in that price range for what I'm looking for. The other thing is that I'm a very small guy: - 5'4", 120lbs - 30x30 pants - Somewhere in between a size XS and size S. Some S things fit me better, other times some XS things fit me better - 35" measured chest (not sure if a size 34 or 36 would fit me better, likely a size 34) - Very short arms, usually XS stuff still has too long of arms - Something waist length on the short side I know that I'm not going to be able to get a perfect or even great fit, but if you guys could find something similar to what I'm looking for in a size XS, S, or 34, with a slim fit, I would be happy beyond belief as I've been searching for a while, but I'm not very fashionably aware like I'm sure you guys are, so not really sure where to look. Thank you guys so much in advance!
post #2 of 17
$100-$200? You better start hitting up the thrift stores because you won't find a 'fashion' motorcycle jacket that cheap that doesn't look like plastic.
post #3 of 17
Someone on SW&D posted a H&M leather jacket that didnt look completely horrendous.

Nonetheless, a quality leather jacket is not going to be possible at 200 or less.
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
$100-$200? You better start hitting up the thrift stores because you won't find a 'fashion' motorcycle jacket that cheap that doesn't look like plastic.
Are they really that bad (plastic-like) for someone like me who doesn't shell out a ton of money for clothes or because you yourself wouldn't be caught dead in something that cheap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike View Post
Someone on SW&D posted a H&M leather jacket that didnt look completely horrendous. Nonetheless, a quality leather jacket is not going to be possible at 200 or less.
What about between $200-300? I hate to do it, but there absolutely has to be stuff in that change for a plain black leather jacket? If so, do you have any recommendations? Thanks guys.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly View Post
Are they really that bad (plastic-like) for someone like me who doesn't shell out a ton of money for clothes or because you yourself wouldn't be caught dead in something that cheap?


I don't care how cheap something is... if it looks great I'll wear it (my favorite pair of shorts are a $16 pair of Unionbays from Target and the pair of jeans I get complimented the most on were around $39.99), but when it comes to leather goods quality is going to cost you.

You say you just want a plain leather jacket... well, EVERYONE at one point wants a plain leather jacket. It doesn't get much more 'American cool' than that. The demand for them has never really gone away. For a decent leather jacket (fashion) you're looking at a starting price of $500 IMO. Maybe the others here can help out with some deals because I'm certainly not aware of any.
post #6 of 17
Danier (Canadian only) offers jackets at that price-point when on sale. Quality is alright.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
$100-$200? You better start hitting up the thrift stores because you won't find a 'fashion' motorcycle jacket that cheap that doesn't look like plastic.

+1. Your only option is to go used.
post #8 of 17
I'm sure theres a repro company on ebay that makes them to that price point, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. The guys in SW&D seem to like them, even though they are essentially a designer-fake company.
post #9 of 17
You should look and see if you can get a good vintage jacket with character. I made the mistake of buying a $100 leather jacket before. I never wore it and I got over it's looks after a month.
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post
I'm sure theres a repro company on ebay that makes them to that price point, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. The guys in SW&D seem to like them, even though they are essentially a designer-fake company.
If you or anyone can think of the name, I'd love to check out what they have to offer. Would be very, very much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
You should look and see if you can get a good vintage jacket with character. I made the mistake of buying a $100 leather jacket before. I never wore it and I got over it's looks after a month.
I'd much rather be the creator of the jackets character, but I might have to go down this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveandepot1 View Post
+1. Your only option is to go used.
If I do go down the used route, what would you say are the best options. I checked out the link in your signature and you seem to say thrift stores are mostly all junk, so are you talking eBay or a certain type of thrift store or what? Thanks.
post #11 of 17
post some photos of the style you're looking at
post #12 of 17
Try this maybe? - http://www.pdcollection.com

I've had one of their jackets for 2-3 years now that I'm quite happy with. Then again, I've never even seen a $500 jacket.

They also have a ebay store where you can find them cheaper: http://myworld.ebay.com/pdcollection/
post #13 of 17
I think you guys might be looking for Black Scissors: http://stores.ebay.com/Blackscissors...=p4634.c0.m322 They seem to copy a lot of different designer leather jackets and the price isn't bad. Not 100% sure about the quality first hand but some people seems pretty happy with them. Zara might be an option too, they launched their website so you can check out what they have in store. I think they will soon have an online store as well. Their leather jacket usually start at around $170.
post #14 of 17
post #15 of 17

Wilson's is a known brand with good quality stuff. When you see a high quality piece on dramatic discount, go with that over the crappier one at regular price.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quest for an inexpensive leather motorcycle jacket!