• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moving and kids

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how to deal? we are looking at houses 10 mins from our current house but different school district. kids are freaking. how do you deal? we/they have some of our best friends are right near by, so this is going to be a hard sell.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dear kids,

Mommy and Daddy have to move because we can't afford the adjustable rate mortgage on this giant house and need to downsize. I know it'll be tough leaving your good friends and having to make new friends with the poor kids on the other side of town, but ultimately it's a character building exercise and you'll thank me in 20 years. Also, poor teen girls are way easier than rich teen girls.

Love,

Mom and Dad

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^except it's the opposite. will be moving to a town where we will be the white trash by comparison. the listed median income is 225k and i like to work on cars and spit.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Then sorry buddy, I have no advice for you. Maybe buy the kids ice cream and a puppy?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^the puppy might work.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell them they will still see their friends and they will adjust to the rest. It's true if you are just moving 10 minutes away.
I moved several times as a kid, and much further than 10 minutes down the road and beyond a couple of weeks it just stopped bothering me. I kept a few close friends from each move, even though they were countries away and I could only see them every couple of years, I am still friends with some of them now, it may seem a big deal to your kids now, but they will get over it fast.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wait, why are you moving 10 mins away? seems like you just listed all the reasons not to

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Much better high school, much larger homes without much increase in taxes

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's only 10 minutes, they'll adjust easily and quickly. Not like they can't see certain people if they want to. Character building, kids are going to have to toughen up. I grew up moving around, it sucks but you forget about the old school after a month or so.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
we moved in 5th grade. i also changed schools in 5th grade but my best friend changed with me from private school to public so we survived that together. in 6th grade i went to a new school and i was scared but i managed.
smile.gif

spb_lady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
it sucks but you forget about the old school after a month or so.

try to explain it to a 10-year old girl now
facepalm.gif

my parents moved a lot around the city, but i fighted for the right to go to MY SCHOOL, though it took me more then an hour to get there during last years. my younger sister changed school every time we moved... and yes, that sucks.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
how old are yer kids, Kunk?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Haha your kids go to public school LOL.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. I did it pretty much every year, kids deal. one move isn't going to kill anybody

2. see what you can do to help keep some of the best friendships going, while encouraging to meet new people and move on. my son has had his best friend move every year for the past 3 years, **** happens.

good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads