or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › "Christensen" tie knot rediscovered
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Christensen" tie knot rediscovered - Page 4

post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen_quagmire View Post
mine looks the same. I also think it is very easy to knot.

then I dont think it is a Christensen tie knot, but a totally new discovered knot. what do you think?

I saw a video on the Christensen and the cross isnt as distinct as this new knot.
post #47 of 66
but if you watch this video: youtube-link It looks and it's done like mine (and yours, I think)
post #48 of 66
Does it come in a clip-on??
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen_quagmire View Post
but if you watch this video: youtube-link
It looks and it's done like mine (and yours, I think)


Is this how you tied your knot and is this how your knot turned out? It seems simple and doesnt take too long to knot.
post #50 of 66
both. I tied it according to this instruction (Kreuzknoten). It seems to be the same as in the video and my knot turned out like that.
post #51 of 66
After trying the Christensen tie knot repeatedly, I realized that it is very difficult to achieve a look similar to the original without the straight tie. See the result below. The "cross-over" is not fully visible, but still very nice, or?

post #52 of 66
Here's the Christiansen on a shirt:



post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrrffff View Post
Here's the Christiansen on a shirt:




I would be very interested in how you tie this tie. I tried the Christensen many times and never got this distinctive crossover just like i99Loma suggested in his above post. My personal opinion is this knot is My Eric Glennie Criss Cross knot which is different than the Christiansen. I have a video clip on my website www.ericglennie.com of how to tie the criss cross knot for those interested.
post #54 of 66
I basically followed Lord Whimsey's tutorial: http://www.lordwhimsy.com/trifles/tutorials.html. Other than that, I don't have any video capability to show you. =[
post #55 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrrffff View Post
I basically followed Lord Whimsey's tutorial: http://www.lordwhimsy.com/trifles/tutorials.html. Other than that, I don't have any video capability to show you. =[

I noticed Lord Whimsley also states that he hasnt had success making the Christiansen look like the diagram and neither can I , nor others. I stated on a previous thread that Mr. Chrisiansen's knot is impossible to tie as diagramed and this confirms my statement based on Lord Whimsley's comments.
post #56 of 66
The key to the knot is wrapping the tie around twice horizontally in steps e) to g) and then threading the tie down through BOTH wraps. Thanks to Lucky Strike for bringing this up, btw. It does look kinda sexy and sophisticated.
post #57 of 66
Hey guys,

Made another try tonight with a simpler and more symmetric tie knot than earlier, and the result is not too bad:

Following Fink & Mao's notation, it is tied like this: Li Ro Ci Lo Ri Lo Ri Co TT

Conclusion: The TT ending is only worthwhile on relatively straight ties (i.e. not too tapered) using relatively narrow tie knots.

Happy knotting!
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric glennie View Post
I noticed Lord Whimsley also states that he hasnt had success making the Christiansen look like the diagram and neither can I , nor others. I stated on a previous thread that Mr. Chrisiansen's knot is impossible to tie as diagramed and this confirms my statement based on Lord Whimsley's comments.

A bit of a digression, but hey Eric, you know that Vitaliano Pancaldi makes spliced pattern neckties right?
This is my link from the WAYW thread.. I haven't tied it perfectly, but there ya go.
http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wayw2dx0.jpg
post #59 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by i99loma View Post
Hey guys,

Made another try tonight with a simpler and more symmetric tie knot than earlier, and the result is not too bad:

Following Fink & Mao's notation, it is tied like this: Li Ro Ci Lo Ri Lo Ri Co TT

Conclusion: The TT ending is only worthwhile on relatively straight ties (i.e. not too tapered) using relatively narrow tie knots.

Happy knotting!
I would be very surprised you got a Christensen knot to hold its position on the left to right diagonal. The only way the diagonal will hold its position is if the knot is also criss crossed behind the knot which is what the Eric Glennie Criss Cross Knot does. When tightend your diagonal should slide upwards like YOUR Christensen knot below.
post #60 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by i99loma View Post
After trying the Christensen tie knot repeatedly, I realized that it is very difficult to achieve a look similar to the original without the straight tie. See the result below. The "cross-over" is not fully visible, but still very nice, or?


Knots should be consistent whether I tie it or a monkey ties it. To have a knot change so dramatically is to believe your theorized Christiansen is a fallacy. I smell an Eric Glennie Criss Cross Necktie Knot Conspiracy. Either it is a Christiansen knot from the start or it isnt. Wow, What a dramatic change on the left to right diagonal from the other knot shown above !!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › "Christensen" tie knot rediscovered