or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Custom Suit Options in Atlanta
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Custom Suit Options in Atlanta

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody has a good source for decent, quality,"value-priced" suits in the Atlanta area. I have tried TJ and thought they were expensive for the product.


Has anybody had any experience with The Custom Suit Shop? They seem to be along the lines of TJs with better pricing.

How about Rochester or Nordstroms custom suit programs?

Looking for a good quality, durable, sharp, but not a "look at me" suit......at a price that reflects that.

I definitely cannot buy OTR due to my stature.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
post #2 of 28
Go to Sid's.

www.sidmashburn.com
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
I will check them out. Thx.
post #4 of 28
Yes, Sid Mashburn is the place.
post #5 of 28
Again, I ask: why do Atlantans who post here hate Edgar Pomeroy?


- B
post #6 of 28
Because he put flaps on the pockets of a DB DJ? Just my guess, what is the correct answer Voxx?
post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Again, I ask: why do Atlantans who post here hate Edgar Pomeroy?


- B

I've never heard of either shop before I posted.

I'll plan on investigating both options with an open mind. Both appear to specialize in more cutting edge styles, but if they can build a quality garment that won't offend a CFO in front of me , then it could be a match.

I guess not a lot of love for Rochester or Nordstroms custom suit programs...or The Custom Suit Shop??? Anyone have good/bad/indifferent experiences with these guys? I ask because that's what I narrowed it down to before I found this forum....which I'm glad I did.

FYI...I used to use an overseas outfit, but I'm keen to find someone local...for convenience and ease of doing business

Mainly, I'm looking for a suit that I feel good in, but doesn't get noticed for either its superiority or inferiority. Which is what I prefer for my business uniform.

Many Thanks.
post #8 of 28
I've seen some decent work come out of Johnny La; (full canvas, hand padded lapel and collar, horn buttons and handsewn button holes) but frankly I couldn't tell you if this was full bespoke or very good made to measure. IIRC the damage was something in the neighborhood of $2500 for a two piece. I'll see if I can track down more specifics and some photos.
post #9 of 28
They're not going to be "value priced" but you could try one of the Savile Row tailors that visits Atlanta... I believe Henry Poole, Dege & Skinner, and Thomas Mahon make trips to Atlanta (any others?). Again, they won't be cheap but you're more likely to get what you pay for.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
I guess not a lot of love for Rochester or Nordstroms custom suit programs...or The Custom Suit Shop??? Anyone have good/bad/indifferent experiences with these guys? I ask because that's what I narrowed it down to before I found this forum....which I'm glad I did.
The custom suit shop is shit, i would stay at all costs. They lack experience, quality and overall everything a custom experience should be, which is silly because its what they call themself. They take measurements send them away and the suit comes back finished from china. The waiting time is about 10 weeks. They are the same quality suits as from K&G Warehouse sell. Its exactly like princehenry.biz but cray over priced. They make you sign a sheet that says if they need to make alterations you will need to cover the costs. I brought a suit in to have them copy the exact fit, lapel size, and measurements. The result was an over sized mess, they did notch lapels instead of peak, and they had another jacket made free of charge but the lapels were not the width i asked for, so they messed up my order again. Their excuse was the language barrier was lost in translation on the measurement sheet The price the post of their website is complete bullshit, a fused suit from them with the cheapest fabric will cost at least $400. I wish i never spent the money there. Lennox and phipps are not even 2 minutes away from their shop so i would definately start there. Sids is great also.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Again, I ask: why do Atlantans who post here hate Edgar Pomeroy?


- B

Because anyone who has books of other designers on their website is a complete douche
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by smruss View Post
The custom suit shop is shit, i would stay at all costs. They lack experience, quality and overall everything a custom experience should be, which is silly because its what they call themself. They take measurements send them away and the suit comes back finished from china. The waiting time is about 10 weeks. They are the same quality suits as from K&G Warehouse sell. Its exactly like princehenry.biz but cray over priced. They make you sign a sheet that says if they need to make alterations you will need to cover the costs. I brought a suit in to have them copy the exact fit, lapel size, and measurements. The result was an over sized mess, they did notch lapels instead of peak, and they had another jacket made free of charge but the lapels were not the width i asked for, so they messed up my order again. Their excuse was the language barrier was lost in translation on the measurement sheet The price the post of their website is complete bullshit, a fused suit from them with the cheapest fabric will cost at least $400. I wish i never spent the money there. Lennox and phipps are not even 2 minutes away from their shop so i would definately start there. Sids is great also.
Never had anything done. I'm simply going off some items a friend of mine got. But what I saw wasn't anything akin to what you've described. Again, I'll try and track down some photos for comparison. Shameless displays aside, I'm not put off my EP's website.
post #13 of 28
^For what your paying the quality and custom experience is non existent. The name of the place is the Custom Suit Shop, to me that means a custom suit that is fitted to your body. Not just mail away measurements. When I went to try on the suit they put me in a storage room, they don't have fitting rooms in their shop. I find this very had to believe that they don't think to have fitting rooms built in a store about clothing. I am just warning you of my experience. I was greatly disappointed with the entire process.
post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange View Post
Never had anything done. I'm simply going off some items a friend of mine got. But what I saw wasn't anything akin to what you've described. Again, I'll try and track down some photos for comparison. Shameless displays aside, I'm not put off my EP's website.

They apparently offer full canvas option.

I'd be interested to see pic's of your friends suit. Sound's like two fairly different experiences & product from these guys which may be a pattern of inconsistency or just different product offerings?????

I am really hoping to find a source where I can get a decent quality suit that fits my body and not pay into the thousands. Off the rack is pretty much not an option for me.

smruss: Did you order a full or half canvas and end up geting a fused???

Thanks gentlemen.
post #15 of 28
Sid's going to start carrying Attolini soon - starting in late Oct if memory serves.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Custom Suit Options in Atlanta