or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Despos Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Despos Thread - Page 8

post #106 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Tuttofattoamano on "drape":

"Founded in 1906 by Frederick Scholte's undercutter, Per Anderson, the house has been fairly faithful to their house cut of a soft, draped coat. Depending on which sources you consult, this can mean all sorts of things. I admit that I am not a fan of what I have seen from them, namely overly wide, droopy shoulders and lumpy, messy chests, not to mention the backs and the sleeves which I think could be improved a lot."

Foof - don't mind him, though, he's just a tailor. You know, a guy who - um - does this shit for a living. Unlike you, who are a...wait, what are you again? A Rubinacci-owner. Ah. Carry on...

There's a big difference between 'it can mean all sorts of things' and 'it can mean whatever the hell you want it to'.
post #107 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usul View Post
Is this to mean Foo>Bull ?

Please, University of Baltimore Law School here.
I'll see your Clinton and raise you a:

post #108 of 376
I am learning a lot about Despos's custom tailoring in in this thread.


- B
post #109 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Tuttofattoamano on "drape": "Founded in 1906 by Frederick Scholte’s undercutter, Per Anderson, the house has been fairly faithful to their house cut of a soft, draped coat. Depending on which sources you consult, this can mean all sorts of things. I admit that I am not a fan of what I have seen from them, namely overly wide, droopy shoulders and lumpy, messy chests, not to mention the backs and the sleeves which I think could be improved a lot." Foof - don't mind him, though, he's just a tailor. You know, a guy who - um - does this shit for a living. Unlike you, who are a...wait, what are you again? A Rubinacci-owner. Ah. Carry on...
For an author to acknowledge that different sources mean different things by "drape" doesn't equate with the author himself not having a specific meaning, there being no correct meaning, or the different meanings not occupying a narrow space. Anyway, given that the author of the quotation above goes on to specifically suggest what he means, it should be enough to turn to that meaning. Under none of the meanings used in the ongoing debate over debate, including jeffreyd's, does this coat have "drape." You might want to note that Despos himself doesn't like drape. I'm also willing to bet a large sum that jefferyd himself would not call this coat a "drape" coat.
post #110 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
I am learning a lot about Despos's custom tailoring in in this thread. - B
Lawyers.
post #111 of 376
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
?value="http
post #112 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Lawyers.

Well, if someone wrongly thinks Despos does drape or that the coat in question is drape, it's learnin' 'bout Despo' to learn what drape is.
post #113 of 376
Pictures of Despos work? Anyone? Anyone?
post #114 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post

Fixed
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
post #115 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by KObalto View Post
Please, University of Baltimore Law School here.
I'll see your Clinton and raise you a:


I'm done. You, my friend, win the internets
post #116 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Lawyers.

Warning...Despos Content...Warning!

"The earnest and affable Chris Despos (not yet out of his 30s), of Despos Custom Tailoring, in Dallas, comes to New York to spend his two-week vacation studying patternmaking with the great master tailor Henry Stewart."

- Professional Clothing Writer, G. Bruce Boyer, in Town & Country Magazine, November 1991

The NYT obit from 1993 about Stewart. More and more on Stewart.


- B
post #117 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Warning...Despos Content...Warning! "The earnest and affable Chris Despos (not yet out of his 30s), of Despos Custom Tailoring, in Dallas, comes to New York to spend his two-week vacation studying patternmaking with the great master tailor Henry Stewart." - Professional Clothing Writer, G. Bruce Boyer, in Town & Country Magazine, November 1991 The NYT obit from 1993 about Stewart. - B
So this was Mr Despos' Sensei. Made for Lee Marvin. I liked Marvin.
post #118 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
I am learning a lot about Despos's custom tailoring in in this thread.


- B

Says the king of the epic thread derail.
post #119 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post
Says the king of the epic thread derail.

The key to a good derail is clarity of taste in what should be sent over the cliff, engine belching smoke and passengers screaming.

What was going on here wasn't that.


- B
post #120 of 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Under none of the meanings used in the ongoing debate over debate, including jeffreyd's, does this coat have "drape."

Prithee tell, Foo - among the "meanings used in the ongoing debate" - you know, the "drape debate" that rages amongst a select group of internets iGent nerds like yourself - who retains the magical power to bestow legitimacy upon certain definitions and not others? Drape is - to me - like pornogrpahy to Justice Potter Stewart: "I know it when I see it." Most, I think, would agree with my definition.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Despos Thread