or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I don't drink
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I don't drink - Page 3

post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Racer View Post
I just don't really like how it makes me feel, during or after.

I just had 3 martinis - it's making me feel pretty happy after a 14 hour work day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Racer View Post
I should add that many women see it as a virtue, so it's not all bad. My dating life has actually been really good, I'd just like some advice on that initial conversation.

Be a monk, date a monk.
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie5566 View Post
meh...Just thinking if the tables were turned and my date was not going to drink...that would be a little awkward in the sense that I cut my own intake down and that would take some of the momentum out of the evening.

I don't care if people drink or not, but "meeting someone for drinks" usually means alcohol is involved. So it will inevitably be a little strange when she orders a margarita and you ask for a coke. But, then again, who cares? Be yourself. If she isn't comfortable with it, then move on.
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosu3 View Post
Good to you OP. Many people prefer sobriety. Be up front or just go to a place with food a drinks and dump the alcohol. Say you prefer to drink in privacy and bring it to the bathroom with you and dump the alcohol down the sink.

you win the darwin award for poast of, like, forever.
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Racer View Post
Simply: Because I don't like it. It's not like I'm forcing myself not to drink or I don't know how to drink in moderation-I did that for years-I just don't really like how it makes me feel, during or after. It's not a question of judgment, it's a question of taste. I'm not trying to convince anyone else to make the same choice, but it works well for me.

I should add that many women see it as a virtue, so it's not all bad. My dating life has actually been really good, I'd just like some advice on that initial conversation.



The bolded statement indicates that you do NOT know how to have a couple drinks to be social or to drink in moderation. NO reason two - three drinks tops will bang you up so bad to not feel fine the next day or even during that night.

Maybe you actually have/had a problem.
post #35 of 49
Those of you that are beating up on the OP for not drinking are being ridiculous. So what if he doesn't like to drink? That's his prerogative. It just so happens that many women like drinking and it's socially acceptable. Odds are he'll have some issues with dating a big drinker. I don't like smoking weed. I've tried it and like the OP, I just don't care for the weed buzz. Would you likewise give me shit for not taking a hit of your joint.
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman411 View Post
I don't like smoking weed. I've tried it and like the OP, I just don't care for the weed buzz. Would you likewise give me shit for not taking a hit of your joint.

He made a thread about it. Plus drinking is like the most universally embraced social ritual.

I find people who are completely abstinent to be generally less pleasant. Usually they give some excuse like "oh I don't want to lose control of my mind", which is the worst thing. Then they walk around all smug at a party, god knows why they even stay. The only legitimate reason is if you honestly did not enjoy the effects (euphoria, extroversion?) as the OP has said is the case. Which I think is a crock of shit for anyone who isn't allergic or asian.
post #37 of 49
i dont drink because alcohol fucks my stomach up and i much prefer the effects of other intoxicants
post #38 of 49
You could suggest going to a late night coffee house/lounge. I've done this many times before and it's always been successful. Having a drink or two probably wouldn't hurt, either. As a previous poster said, unless you're an alcoholic, an occasional drink is not going to hurt you. I don't drink very much, but I certainly don't feel the need to completely abstain from drinking. Like any other unhealthy thing, it's not like one or two drinks is going to significantly impact your health in any way.
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeAgent View Post
You could suggest going to a late night coffee house/lounge. I've done this many times before and it's always been successful.
Solid advice. Have some tea or one of many fancy non-alcoholic cocktails and noone will suspect you're scared of the evil alcohol monster.
Quote:
Having a drink or two probably wouldn't hurt, either. As a previous poster said, unless you're an alcoholic, an occasional drink is not going to hurt you.
More good advice. I've never met anyone (including people who get hangovers from looking at a 3rd beer) who gets all cloudy, fat, and stupid from 2 low-grav beers. Try a glass of wine that you can sip on all night or ask the bartender to make a weak rum and coke if you're so worried about it. You'll be "drinking" but not enough to effect you and she'll be none-the-wiser.

If you do choose to abstain totally and mention it, make sure you follow up immediately with "I certainly don't judge the overwhelming majority of the night life crowd who do drink, and I'm not a super-weirdo in other parts of my life...I just don't like the way alcohol makes me feel anymore." That way she won't assume you were A. an alcoholic. B. crazy/weird. C. judgmental and not fun.
post #40 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlarmGuy79 View Post
The bolded statement indicates that you do NOT know how to have a couple drinks to be social or to drink in moderation. NO reason two - three drinks tops will bang you up so bad to not feel fine the next day or even during that night.

Maybe you actually have/had a problem.

I'm not following your logic. Because I don't like the buzz, I have/had a problem? I drank for several years before cutting it out, and I never really questioned it, it was just something I did. When I figured out that I was having the same amount of fun without it, it seemed pointless. I think if I'd had a problem with it quitting would have been difficult, it wasn't. If there was an intoxicating substance I enjoyed, that didn't have horrible health or legal downsides, I'd take it.

Date went great, by the way, not drinking wasn't a bit deal. Common taste in music is such a great deal sealer.
post #41 of 49
Glad the date went well.

I think the issue is that you seem to be avoiding a "buzz" like the plague, when most of us probably wouldn't even get a buzz with a drink or two over the course of a date. So either you're a lightweight (which is totally fine and a blessing) or you don't stop drinking until you get that buzz, which would be you not being able to stop versus you just hating alcohol. Some people have an alcohol intolerance that causes headaches and extreme flushing...I get that. But really, if you get a buzz from a beer an hour, something is off. There would be no reason for all of this awkwardness and "what do I do if she does this or that?" stuff if you drank slowly because you would never get that buzz you hate. So do you just get a buzz that fast, or is something else going on?
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post

Be a monk, date a monk.

OP wouldn't fit in with that club, either.
post #43 of 49
tell her you just took some really good heroin and you don't want to cloud the high with booze
post #44 of 49
post #45 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMan View Post
Glad the date went well.

I think the issue is that you seem to be avoiding a "buzz" like the plague, when most of us probably wouldn't even get a buzz with a drink or two over the course of a date. So either you're a lightweight (which is totally fine and a blessing) or you don't stop drinking until you get that buzz, which would be you not being able to stop versus you just hating alcohol. Some people have an alcohol intolerance that causes headaches and extreme flushing...I get that. But really, if you get a buzz from a beer an hour, something is off. There would be no reason for all of this awkwardness and "what do I do if she does this or that?" stuff if you drank slowly because you would never get that buzz you hate. So do you just get a buzz that fast, or is something else going on?

I'm a lightweight now obviously, but when I drank regularly I wasn't. I'd get mild headaches and/or tired from time to time. The funny thing is that I miss the taste more than the buzz-I wish someone made a good NA Malbec. It's a good social lubricant, but I'm a pretty good conversationalist anyway, so it wasn't ever that necessary. Like I said in the beginning, I realized after quitting that it took more from my life than it was giving back. Costs: money, calorie intake, hangovers, lapses in judgment on nights I overdid it (rare, and if you tell me you've never made any I call BS) and overall health costs. Benefits: a slight change in personality that I didn't particularly like. Not a tough decision.

It's interesting that I'm defending my choice not to participate in something I dislike because it's a social norm. If we were talking about smoking, which was a social norm in the same way until relatively recently, it'd be a totally different story.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › I don't drink